Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pushing a pram in the snow

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on pushing a pram through snow? Could do with some sledge blades but don't know where to buy them from!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-06-10 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sophiadolf,
OK get a Bugaboo with snowtyres, yes they do do them!!

Or a Stokke Xplory and just tow it backwards on two wheels.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sophiadolf,

Sorry welcome to snowheads!!!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backwards seems best or maybe get a dog team
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sophiadolf, pulling is much easier than pushing when the going gets tough - same as using a pushchair on a beach. Otherwise, go light ( eg Maclaren Volo) and be prepared to lift it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Volo is cr*p in snow:wheels are just too small and you sink - even in half-an-inch of snowl. A decent all-terrain pushchair (3-wheeler, inflatable tyres) will cope up to a few inches, but in deeper stuff you still need to pull rather than push. If it's deep, then a back-pack carrier is more suitable. I do have some pics of JuniorAP is his buggy in Canada,but they are no-longer online.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for pulling, rather than pushing. At least from my recollection of many years ago, when it snowed heavily and we lived in a corner house with a steepish hill either side Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has to be pulling.
We had a holiday in Alpe d'Huez a few years ago where the Creche was miles from the hotel.
I spent many a happy hour dragging a pram to and from the Creche. Pushing is useless in snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buy one of those baby sledges?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Camping trolley from 'Junior Apprentice'? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bugaboo works well, pulling rather than pushing, but don't take the small wheels off like they tell you too! Otherwise hire a nanny and let her do all the work! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't buy anything made by Bugaboo, unless you're the kind of person that buys Apple computers. Ditto Stokke. Double-markup form-over-function fashion clutter for the affluent and unimaginative keep-up-with-the-Jonesing middle aged wannabe hipster.

Forget wheels, and get a backpack. Or a papoose if it's a really small one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sophiadolf, Get a top of the range Silver Cross pram and wear stilletoes when you push it, like the gypsy girls on the hill at The Derby yesterday.

Appearances are everything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chariots do cross country ski kits?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchico, actually a carrige built Silver Cross pram does quite well in the snow (especially if you swap the tyres), but needs an uniformed nanny to push it.

paulio, don't you like things that actually work?
snow conditions
Lots of people in Switzerland have an attachment that fits a wooden sledge and makes a cradle for the baby to lie in.
ski holidays
ski hire shops all rent out little sledgy things. No need to fanny around with a pram in the snow, though they have their uses in airports, as long as you don't go hanging so many ski boot bags on the handle that the baby gets tipped out backwards.
snow report
I should take the hint and stop now - taking children to the slopes becomes expensive as they get older. Think of all those extra ski holidays you could afford if you just left the kids at home...
But if you're going ignore that advice, I'd definitely go with the pulling rather than pushing. And when my children are 40, I intend to remind them that they have an obligation to do the same for me in my wheelchair
ski holidays
Biggest wheels you can get and pull when the going gets tough.
ski holidays
Knew I'd seen this pram somewhere Seed Pli Cool
snow report
sarah, have you seen how much their buggies cost though ... £700+ ... ouch!
snow report
sarah wrote:
Knew I'd seen this pram somewhere Seed Pli Cool

I think the key here is where it says "also doubles as skis for the little one" - so any old pushchair/pram, pair of cheapie (decathalon etc) plastic skis and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt. snowHead

Why didn't I think of that before following the earlier suggestion of £75 for snow wheels to go on the £700 of Bugaboo (and no, to the uninitiated that is not a pair of Columbia boots) rolling eyes
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Lots of people in Switzerland have an attachment that fits a wooden sledge and makes a cradle for the baby to lie in.

Bloody Swiss, they have an answer for everything(just don't expect it to be as good quaility as it used to be Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
big bouncy inflatable tyres... and pull it...
I have thankfully come to the end of this period of our snow sports!
snow report
It depends on the age of the child as to the suitability of a sledge!!! but they work very well as the children get older!!!

If not I would agree with the inflatable tyres and when the going gets tough pulling!

Where are you thinking of going? Some resorts are very good at clearing the snow and then some are less good.......this could influence your decision on what pram/pushchair to use!
snow report
We used a Quinny Freestyle 4 for a while - big inflatable wheels are fine for most "piste" conditions.. we just flogged ours on the bay, but you can still find them there - great pushchair, lots of space to carry stuff but a bit of a big beast.
ski holidays
These comparisons of high tech, high price, baby carriers are hilarious to an old bird like me. The sort of choice we had to make was between a second hand carry cot and a set of wheels, as opposed to Aunty Sylvia's old but high quality Silver Cross coachbuilt which had been down the coal shed since 1963 but might scrub up OK.
ski holidays
pam w, have you seen the price of a coach built Silver Cross lately? Shocked Even a very used one is hard to get hold of.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and even harder to get in the back of the car....
snow report
skinanny wrote:
pam w, have you seen the price of a coach built Silver Cross lately? Shocked Even a very used one is hard to get hold of.

I have a 1960s one in the garage, our neighbour gave it to me as she moved house, her kids and grandchildren had all used it. My son was too old for it by the time I got it unfortunately. It is a lovely thing.
ski holidays
sarah, spunds like you should put in on ebay?

My grandmother had one, which was (of course) her pride and joy as they were not at all a wealthy family. She also had a ghastly old one, which she had said the boy scouts could have for their pram race thing. But when they came to collect it, she was out, and my grandfather was not really paying attention........ rolling eyes
snow report
pam w, no I am keeping it, you never know Laughing
ski holidays
if you keep it, you'll probably never have another baby. Like when you break a cup and keep the saucer.
latest report
pam w, all the more reason to keep it then Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy