Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

West Couloir Story, Part 3

Poster: A snowHead
Continued from Part 2

Finally we get to West Couloir and the conditions are good. Dave builds a platform to put his ski's on at the bottom of the abseil. The patch of ice behind and below Dave did cause an issue and we ended up having to take our ski's off again and climb past it.

West Couloir is a really aesthetic line with this small slot through the rocks coming up.

The snow in the upper section was awsome.

Dropping into the narrow section.

Couloir shooting in action

There are a few more pics and a topo here

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I feel a little ill just looking at that last one. Absolutely amazing stuff!
Thanks Phil.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now where's that lens cover gone? Really really nice esp as last poster says the last one, easily good enuff for the mags.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philingle wrote:
....and we ended up having to take our ski's off again and climb past it.....

Shocked
How? With crampons and ice axes? Roped? If so, belayed to what?
Awesome.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philingle, not wanting to be picky again, but your vertical line looks suspect in these photos. If you look at the bottom one and the thrid from bottom, then you have the same rock in the background (the snow on the side of it is shaped in a distincitve jigsaw piece shape).
In the third from bottom the rock edge of the rock edge is sloping naturally about 5 degrees to the left. In the bottom one the rock is sloping about 10 degrees (or more) to the right. This would suggest the gradient of the bottom photo is exagerated by at least 15 degrees.
Obviously it is very hard to get the camera very straight when on slope. In the bottom photo, the bag and snow also look unnatural given the displayed gradient.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess the only answer is to use a camera spirit level. They do exist, but I've never seen one.

In the meantime, fabulous photos, really enjoyed them!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philingle,

Great shots again, looks fantastic and uber steep however you want to measure it.

As I read the map you turned left from the classic routes to go down the front face and out onto the Glacier Rond and then skied down to the mid station of the Midi. Excellent..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kamikaze, yeah, 3rd and 5th picture look like for sure the same spot, with the 3rd picture likely having the correct angle, but regardless, this is seriously steep skiing. Very nice pictures. How steep is this couloir? Looks like 55-60 degrees or so, but that is just a total guess.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, the 5th does look overcooked again (what got me was the way the guy is happy for his rusksack to be leaning over down the slope - i am paranoid about losing stuff whenever Alpine climbing and so immediately spotted that). I know from experience (going up, not coming down like this!!) how hard it is to get the photographic angles spot on, especially when looking diagonally up a slope. It is certainly not a criticism - I'd love to have the balls and the skill to do this. Top respect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that part of the art of taking a good skiing photo is conveying the drama and the steepness of the slope that you're on. Quite often people go the other way (how many times have you developed photos of yourself coming down a black run, for it to look like the nursery slopes?) and I think that maybe a bit of trickery (if that is what it is?) is definitely justified in this case.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer wrote:
how many times have you developed photos of yourself coming down a black run, for it to look like the nursery slopes?

I thought black runs were nursery slopes?

But I understand what you mean. I don't think it is always done to make photos look more dramatic. Take this one:-

http://www.skitour.fr/photos_courses/pleine-pente,1423-6.jpg

The slope looks near vertical, the guy who took the photgraph just snapped it off without trying to make it look more dramatic. Whereas:

http://www.bivouak.net/album_photos/photos/Decolage_au_Colon_3091.jpg

This slope looks like it is a green piste but is about the same steepness as the first pic.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, I think that the second one looks quite steep to me as well, mainly because of the blue ski in the background, implying that the camera is pointing up at quite an angle. The first one looks great, a fantastic picture.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been playing about further with the bottom photo, looking closely at the bag, the rocks in the background, and the angle of the skis on the slope (and the amount/nature of snow underneath them). I think this photo only starts to look right when rotated 30-35 degrees. Here's the photo rotated 35 degrees. At this point the angle of the ruck-sack and the snow under the skis start to look natural. Compare with the orignal (the orignal is on the right)

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philingle, I think all the photo's are great! I don't have the time or inclination to think about whether or not they're true and to twist them around looking for the "true" angle. I just think they look like a great story to share so thanks for them. I wish I had the guts to do what you do!! I'm going to show them to my brother and say "ha, I may not be as brave as you big bruv but you're definitely not as brave as him, so there!!"
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used a bit of artistic licence on framing the last shot as it wasnt a skiing shot.

For the picky among us I traced the line in the central section on my IGN software and it gave this result

you can work out the angles for yourself
snow report
Phil,

Thanks for the great pics as usual. If anybody really wants to find out the actual angles they could always try to ski it themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking about Phil Ingle "He's not a bad skier............. , for an Englishman" Wolfie Jan 2004, St Anton.
snow report
You could rotate it through 70 degrees and I still wouldnt go anywhere near it!!. Is this what is meant by "a good firm pole plant"
ski holidays
philingle, Incredible photos. Huge respect. The only thing I know about the camera angles is that you are unlikely ever to get me there to take 'Happy Holiday' shots. Awesome.
ski holidays
I loved the shots and I would like to think I could give it a go, however the slot through the rocks looks very dangerous and a fall doesn't bear thinking about from that view. I think it is just a bit churlish to go on about this angle and that angle. Sometimes it is enough just to get a solid platform to shoot from and maybe convey the skiing aspect and I don't mind any artistic license intended or unintended. That route is a very serious commitment in anyone's book, the shots show that and top marks for even filming it in the first place.

I look forward to the next trip..
ski holidays
JT wrote:
... That route is a very serious commitment in anyone's book, the shots show that and top marks for even filming it in the first place...

Spot on. I'd have had my hands full surviving, let alone taking pictures.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy