Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel pivot bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One for the techies out there; what's the advantage/disadvantage of heel pivot bindings? Should you use the same DIN settings as with "normal" bindings? Idle curiosity based on having Tyrolia Peak fitted to Scott Missions. Wondering if they give me anything that "normal" bindings wouldn't.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderjon does a good description of the benefits/drawbacks of look pivots here, which is a turntable similar but not the same as the tyrolia pivot on the heel.

Half way down the thread

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1308403&highlight=pivot#1308403
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John, I have one pair of Fischer badged Tyrolias with the Diagonal heel and two pairs without. The only difference that I have found is that the heel on the Diagonal pair can twist sideways when putting them on if the skis are on a slight slope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, I had a similar problem the first couple of days, got used to it though, and a good sharp push down usually does the trick. I noticed that the release seemed to be more smooth that with regular bindings, and were more forgiving when twisted i.e. they allowed for correction when I got into a tangle instead of popping straight off. I'm impressed, all in all, but I'm by no means an expert in such matters.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, yes, with Tyrolia's you should use the same DIN dettings. The lateral movement on the Tyrolia's heelpiece is pretty minimal compared to the true Look/Rossi Pivot heelpiece so whilst they'll give more elastic travel (ie the amount your boot moves at the heel before the binding releases) I wouldn't expect any increase in knee protection versus conventional designs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, the original reasoning behind these types of binding was to put the axis of release (the pivot of the heel unit) directly below the tibial shaft so that they give better protection the the knee and lower leg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, yep, I said that in the link above, & having the pivot under the knee must be a good thing. It's just that the Tyrolia heelpiece actually doesn't pivot that much before it comes to a stop & the boot can still be in the binding. Whereas the Look/Rossi heel continues to rotate until the boot is fully cleared of the binding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, although it doesn't rotate all the way it is still enough to reduce the forces on the knee by a good %

personally give me a binding with some sort of lateral/pivitol release in the heel over any other.... i knid of like my knees INTACT (trashed as they are) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM wrote:
although it doesn't rotate all the way it is still enough to reduce the forces on the knee by a good %

It would be interesting to know by how much cause it doesn't show on my torque tester & AFAIK neither Tyrolia (or Look) have any put any figures on it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, i remember various figures being banded about back in the days of the look XM and the 99 RS but not since then and please don't ask me what they were ..i was young foolish and not good at remembering numbers....for what it is worth i am still foolish and not good at remembering numbers

placebo effect???? who knows ...i still feel safer in them than certain other bindings Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely the whole point of an AFD is to do EXACTLY the same thing.

Look even stopped manufacturing a true Pivot binding for a while as their binding designers decided it was unnecassary in terms of release / injury safety.

It has been brought back by consumer demand. Placebo effect? Probably not. I'm *not* saying it doesn't have a smoother release, I *am* saying it's probably not safer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The AFD is to aid a smooth release of the boot from the binding, irrespective of whether the pivot point is at the toe or heel.

AFAIK Look stop making the true pivot heel cause it was expensive to make & it's additional functionality apparently was no longer required when they upgraded their toe binding to include a vertical release function. Still, the idea of the pivot point being underneath the knee rather than at the toe seems to be a good 'un so arguably the safest binding on the market is their Pivot 14 as it has a fully functional toe piece combined with the fully pivoting heel piece. The Pivot 18, with it's totally bomb proof metal toe piece which makes it a favourite with mogul skiers, freestylers & big hucking freeriders is therefore arguably less safe for mortal skiers than the 14 as it doesn't have the vertical release function.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the other factor with the turntable heels was that the mounting points between toe and heel units were shorter and affected ski flex less
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the info all. CEM, completely agree with you that I do feel safer in the Tyrolias, especially since my range of skiing territory has increased and I took a few tumbles in powder/crud and felt like they released only when required. Placebo or not, they worked for me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy