Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff, Canadian Rockies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everybody!

A friend and I are going to Banff and the rest of the resorts in the Canadian Rockies this season coming up. We don't really know when to arrive yet, because we don't know anything about the job-situation in Banff.
When should you arrive to make sure that you'll get a decent job or at least just a job? Is it all gone by the start of December? Is it crucial to arrive in the beginning of November or before that to get a job in Banff? As far as we know it's a pretty popular ski-destination for sesonal-skiing-freaks as ourselves.

Hans-Henrik
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hans,
Season starts there early December with the world cup rocking into town. Normally late November early December there is still work around depending on what you are looking for. Allot of jobs do phone interviews for people applying from Europe.

It’s a Great town with loads to do and a lively working population. Revelstoke, Kicking horse and Panorama are a short trip down the road and there are regular group trips organised amongst the working community.
To be sure of work I would get out there late November place is taken over by Aussis doing year and 2 year visas.
Enjoy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Fattes13

Thank you very much for replying!
Do you know when the ski-season starts? I mean, isn't the resort open before the beginning of December?
And just one more thing. Should we book acomodation before arriving or should it be possible to find something cheap when we get there?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HansCA, things start opening at the beginning of November. Try and arrange accommodation before you arrive. You might need to have it sorted as early as October as many lets are fixed term arrangements for 5+ months.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depending on what type of work you're after/will get - you may well get accommodation with the job.

So you have a couple of choices really - you can get in early and sign up for a longer lease (as arv suggests) - or you could take one of the "work & stay" packages at one of the hostels in the area (SameSun or YHA Banff, or HI in Lake Louise) - that might give you more flexibility.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Alexandra

We were thinking to start out in Banff and stay there for a month or so. Then we would go around to the other resorts (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Lake Louise) and stay there for a month or more each place.
Don't you think it's possible to find accomodation on the way if you travel around like that ? I mean, we don't want to sign up for 5 month or more one single place. But if everything is usually booked everywhere this traveling-around-thing wouldn't be a good idea.
The jobs we seek should therefor also just last for a month or more. I Know it's risky business, but is it impossible?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HansCA, You can change resorts but expect to be paying a lot more for accomodation as no-one will be interested in renting long term property to you so it would be hostels or motels. Equally no-one will be falling over themselves to offer you a job for a month. And the final kicker is that discount or free season passes are often tied to jobs so lose or give up your job = no pass. If cash isn't such an issue why are you even looking to work?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HansCA, Season starts in November but does not really kick in till December and Jan is quiet for a reason skiing in -40 sucks!

Kicking horse is a 2 hour trip from Banff and Lake Louise is 35- 40 min by bus which is included in a season pass. Personally I think you would be better off staying in Banff and hitting kicking horse on your day off during the week and heading to Fernie for a few weeks at the end.

Rent and Work will be difficult to find in 4-6 week stints
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a season in banff -you would be best staying in one place and taking trips from there to the other resorts; i went to 10 other resorts-and if you work on the mountains you get a reciprocal pass (free pass) with your staff pass.
moving around costs a lot, you don't meet or get to know people to ride with and you probably would need a car. And as above would be hard to find someone that wants to hire you for a month.
We went with a company based in banff that set up chalets before we went, jobs and met a load of people as soon as we arrived. If you want more info on the company you can pm me or google gap year canada..though they just do banff right now.

i just got back home after 8 months and wish I had staid for the summer, summer is really busy in banff to.

Other resorts kicking horse, revelstoke, lake louise don't have towns that could keep you very busy for a hole season btw. Season in banff starts early nov and still good snow end of May. Other resorts are more Dec-April in rockies.

I took an instrucotrs course and am hping to get sponsored for next season and get back out as soon as I can.

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy