Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Husband and I really like skiing here, and enjoy the atmosphere after a day's skiing, although the days of partying hard have passed...
Tour operators are offering ski trips just before Christmas and we are considering a cheeky ski before the family descend on us for festive cheer.
The resort is probably high enough to have enough snow (skiing down is never a priority as long as there is snow on the top) but the question is what is the night life likely to be like?
We went to St Anton for Christmas last year and there was very little live music, it was so quiet.
Has anyone been the week before Christmas? I know that the resort opens at the end of November, but when does it "get going"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It gets going the day the resort opens pretty much. I've been skiing here in late November and December for the last five years in a row and only one year was the snow a serious problem (most years it has been possible to ski down to town, although it has been a bit sketchy). The last couple of years the snow has been knee deep powder, though obviously the base is not that deep. Certainly the bars have all been busy in the run up to Christmas. So yes I'd say well worth going. Just don't tell anyone else! wink

Another thought: It draws much of its crowd from Germany. Far fewer British tour operators. Broadly speaking a good thing (pros and cons to both of course). I suspect much of the British market books ahead and tends to Christmas or post Christmas. Germans and others based on the continent can just get in their cars and book up if the weather is looking good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having spent quite a bit of time in Ischgl and Galtür, I would say that the nightlife is pretty much non stop during the main season (including the week before Xmas).

Haven't been there that early but seeing as it is normally one of the first Austrian resorts to open along with Obergurgl and Sölden, I'd imagine that it would be popular and happening at that time! There's always the Schatzi Bar or Niki's Stadl if things are a bit quiet wink It might be worth looking at independently booked accommodation that week because of low season deals. We've saved a fortune booking direct in the past!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi.
I've been to Ischgl in December a few times, andI'm heading there in 1st week of Decemberl again this year..
First week of opening quite often not all runs are open in the first(sometimes second) week. Skiing/snow is generally excellent, you can ski back to the village.
Nightlife is still abundant even at the start of the season, This isa proberly one of the higher priced resorts in Austria but well worth the money. for great value try the 1st / 2nd week of the season.
fly into Innsbruch with Easyjet or BA (assuming they are flying), alternatively Ryanair to Freidricks Hafen, the either tax or hire.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A group of us went 5-7 december last year (2009)... Nearly everything open, snow very good except very close to the village.
Bars full for apres-ski..

Very good..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You will have no problems in Ischgl that time of year for partying or snow! I went there about 3 years ago the week before christmas and had a ball! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been there right at the beginning of December and no question it goes off from the start it's absolutely buzzing. On the skiing front they do have some serious snowmaking and first time I went there early Dec we had been doing a small road trip and it was the only place apart from glaciers with good snow (lech and st anton couldn't open cos they didn't have any).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just been reading this thread, is this a good place for a group of advanced skiers?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pistes are good intermediate stuff, mainly red. A few black runs 10/11 I think, but nothing that kill you.
Not a massive amount of vertical, most of the skiing is from about 2200/2300m (Alp Trida and Idalp) upto about 2600m. Some of the Off piste near the lifts is brilliant, and easily reached. Actually Yes Ischgl can be a pretty good advanced area, and masses of fun Give it a try, you'll love it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob, Thanks for the reply. I understand there is a SCGB rep in this resort. Would it be worth joining them to do advanced off piste or are they very restricted these days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always worth having a go with the SCGB rep. Although I don't recall seeing any very early in Dec.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy