Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naxos vs Dukes/Barons

Poster: A snowHead
I'm attempting to update my quiver but it involves making decisions, which is giving me a headache, so I am appealing to sHs to make one for me!

I currently have Naxo NX22s mounted on Pocket Rockets (muchios cheers to RPF and nbt, although somewhat to blame for all this) as I thought they would make splendidly light touring skis, however I suck and can't ski them in deep stuff, so not ideal for an epic ski day. So I'm getting some Armada JJs which I am like totally in love with and reckon epic skiage could be increased with some touring bindings. More bad influences in the form of rob@rar and sideshow_bob have suggested Dukes or Barons, can't remember which, I'd lean towards Dukes but I can get Barons for a 'good' price with the skis. (124 euros?)

But do I really need 2 skis mounted up for touring? Should I just stick the Naxos on the JJs? Or are the Markers really that much better that they're worth while getting? I would probably sell the PRs and Naxos if that's the case so not too worried about spending extra money. (Yes rob@rar changed my mind already.) ....Or should I hang on to a lightweight touring set up in case I sprout facial hair and feel the need to get smelly?

Puzzled

Yours,
Confused blondie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Naxo went bust for a reason. You also don't need a 16 DIN binding unless you've put on about 8 stone in the last two months. Go for the Barons. I'd be minded to ditch the PRs if you are not having a happy time in powder as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gorilla wrote:
... unless you've put on about 8 stone in the last two months ...

Doughnut confession time...

Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CSki, what gorilla said. Dukes just extra weight for no benefit for you. Baron should ski better than Naxos. If you're not going to tour a lot you want a nice solid binding like the Baron rather than fritschi, naxos, dynafit.

Ps you don't suck. You rocked on the Kuro's! How do Armada JJ's compare?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-05-10 12:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sell me the pocket rockets?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Barons - no brainer
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gosh that was easy, thank goodness for decisive boys! Cheers guys.

BobinCH, JJs vs Kuros is like spitfire vs hercules. They were so nippy yet floaty too. I didn't get chance to take them on piste but I think they'd handle it pretty well and although I did catch quite a few more edges than usual, they didn't try to kill me on the moguls under the dam after superbowl! Laughing

milnerhome, yeah? They're 165cm and the bindings have only had a couple of days use in down hill mode, I don't have skins for them so not quite the whole set up.

PS: has anyone used moreboards.com? Bit confused why they want my bank account details as well as card details... Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
124 yoyos is pretty good for Barons, I think I paid a little over £200 for mine earlier in the year. They are pretty heavy though, took a little while to get used to jumping with them (compared to alpine bindings on the same skis). Wouldn't want to tour for much more than an hour on them either, but for short hikes for fresh tracks they're pretty ideal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
€124 for Barons is below cost price Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bought em yet Charlie?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just put the order in. Cool Now got to hope they really do have them in stock and it's not just some cunning lie to get customers in!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CSki, Let me know if they've got Baron's in stock at that price & I'll buy everything they've got.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He said they are 124eu if he buys the skis also so they're making up the diff on the skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Confused I don't think I could have been any more girly in my post.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damn, the key between A and D i_ mi_ _ ing from my keyboard. wink
snow report
nah, you don't need the Barons, but buy them and sell them to me for 135... wink

Seriously now, I would get the Barons if I were you. I have both and I feel considerably safer with the Barons - much easier to click in when I'm in difficult snow and no surprise releases. There's practically no difference in weight so the only downside is taking off the ski to switch from touring mode to downhill - and then in practice the only time that is an issue is touring on rolling terrain where you may want to ski down with skins on.
ski holidays
JJ + Barons = Very Happy
snow report
Nuts. Barons are out of stock.

spyderjon, do you have any?
snow report
CSki wrote:
Nuts. Barons are out of stock. spyderjon, do you have any?

The old Invitation To Treat trick eh.

Sorry no, I don't have any. I used to stock Dukes/Barons when Mastco were the UK distributor but since Shakespeare/K2 took the distributorship last season they won't supply me as I don't have a retail shop, even though Marker supply plenty of online dealers in Europe rolling eyes. So now most of my customers order online from abroad & have them shipped to me for mounting.
snow report
spyderjon, that's a bit pant for you! Are they tricky to mount? I was going to get the local guy to do it as I wanted to discuss maybe mounting them a little differently to help my skiing. I always lean miles back, but that could have just been to get the tips of the pocket rockets up a bit.

Got the skis for £383 and now found the baron 13s for £275. Ouch.
snow conditions
Where did you find the skis at that price?
latest report
CSki, The Baron's are doddle to mount as they come with an excellent template if you don't have a jig but most shop techs will overtighten the screw under the lever which can lead to cracking on the chassis in that area so that screw should be hand tightened just until the screw stops & not nipped up.

The Dukes/Barons are very sensitive to the toe height & forward pressure adjustment, especially in conjunction with vibram soles (which can lead to pre-releases) so make sure the tech knows how to measure the toe height off the top of the boot lug if you've got touring boots. You'll find that you'll end up running the heel binding a half to one din higher than the toe so I often set them up like that to start with, especially for higher din users. And get yourself a small brass or steel brush (toothbrush style) & sharpen the end of the handle to a point to create a perfect double ended 'iced up touring lever mechanism' tool as if the mechanism is clogged it's possible to damage the pivot pin if it's over strained.
snow report
More nuts, 2010 JJs are out of stock also. Had the 2011 version delivered instead!

Shocked Big thumbs up to moreboards.com!

latest report
NB: Anyone thinking of commenting on the pearl necklace or avi transceiver, it's already been done and Charlie will come and beat you up
ski holidays
What about the carpet?

Nice skis.
snow report
What's wrong with the carpet?!

Awesome skis, I know. Only problem is I am in love with the bases so I'll need to actually get some air to show them off. Gulp. Bob, help?!
snow report
Quote:

pearl necklace

matching earings?

Quote:

What about the carpet?

parlor, you asking if it matches the curtains?

NehNeh
snow report
Wait.... carpet like.... eh, I give up!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy