Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Saisies for group trip in 2011 half-term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are a mixed group of skiers and snowboarders looking to go to Les Saisies in half term next year. The resort doesn't seem to appear too much in the ski guides, I suppose due to its size, so I'm finding it hard to get much info. We have a big mix of ages and abilities, no-one is a complete beginner - the least experienced is a two-week snowboarder, then right up to good all mountain levels. Is Les Saises a good choice for a group like this? I understand it has a pretty good snow record, and is family-friendly. What is it like for snowboarders - are there lots of narrow, or flat, 'linking' runs? The piste map shows quite a few drags - are they generally boarder-friendly?

Thanks for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rowlandj, Welcome to Snowheads. one of the forum regulars has an apartment there, I'm sure she'll be along soon with advice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rowlandj, welcome to snowheads. Yes, I have an apartment in Les Saisies. I don't think it's a brilliant area for boarders, because there are quite a lot of drags and no gondolas. The drags in Les Saisies are no problem (the only challenging one was replaced by a chair last season) but Flumet, Praz sur Arly and Notre Dame de Bellecombe have some fearsome drags. Long and steep. Les Saisies itself is OK for second week boarders - some South African lads who were there last year compared it favourably to Ischgl where they'd been the year before (particularly because it was much less busy, though they didn't go at half term) but the link across to Notre Dame (which has some brilliant red slopes) is a bit flat. There really isn't anything worryingly narrow - but when the snow is slow (eg after a lot of it) boarders can struggle a bit. On the other hand there's a fair bit of easily accessible off piste. My son is an expert skier and a good boarder, and he always finds good stuff. Having spent seasons in Val D'Isere and Courchevel 1850 he also commented that the good stuff doesn't get tracked out instantly, the way it does in those places. Crest Voland is good for boarders but the link over there means either doing a red slope and a slightly challenging drag or an immensely long, very beautiful, green track which I'd discourage boarders from trying. I've done the red run link with a second week snowboarder who loved it, and really enjoyed Crest Voland when we got there, but he's young and fairly fearless.

The area isn't that small - 175 kms of piste on the Espace Diamant lift pass. And yes, the Les Saisies snow record is excellent and at half term you'd be unlucky if the lower areas weren't good, too. At half term the Arly Valley areas are generally less busy and Praz sur Arly has a long fast new 6 man chair serving some excellent terrain, on and off piste. The nastiest drag of all - which all but the most confident boarders would hate - can easily be avoided by careful reading of the piste map! They are threatening to chop it's top section off next season, as it's outside the "normes" for lifts, being so exceedingly steep. The worst part is that if you fall off you have to trek through some fairly thick woods and descend a steep and usually mogully black and go up the same lift again!

If I haven't frightened you off, it's probably an OK choice for your group providing the boarders are neither real hot shots nor really nervous and worried about drags. Les Saisies itself wouldn't present any difficulties, and there's lots of accommodation close to the lifts in the main village, but the most interesting skiing is probably in Notre Dame de Bellecombe.

Where are you planning to stay?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks for your detailed reply! We are currently looking at the apartments "Le Hameau du Beaufortain". There will be 15-20 of us I think in total, so we will get several apartments in the same block. I saw the long green over to Crest Voland on the piste map - it looked pretty flat - I presume you'd discourage boarders because it's too flat to do without walking? But the red sounds like an alternative to get over there. Is there much queuing in half term? You mention some interesting skiing is in Notre Dame de Bellecombe - I presume you can get over there easily enough?

Thanks again for the info.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The "Hameau" offers nice accommodation but it's well out of the main village - if you have cars, no problem really, but the ski bus doesn't operate in the evenings. There are no restaurants or bars within evening walking distance of the Hameau, though it's quick to get down to the main lifts on skis in the morning. You'll need to have chains. Yes, the long green to Crest Voland is very flat, and that's the problem for boarders. On skis, someone who is not afraid to schuss can cut down the skating time to a minimum and after the first section it's all downhill - very gentle, and pretty, but not much fun for boarders. The red alternative is not very difficult. Yes, there's some queueing at half term, particularly in the main bowl at Les Saisies when the ski schools are operating. The best bet is to start early, stop for an early lunch, then ski through lunchtime and stop when the crowds come out for the afternoon ski school. Or go over to Praz sur Arly, where queues are less. We're not there at half term, as we don't do lift queues, but friends who borrowed our place at half term last year had a great holiday and as they were more used to the big TO resorts they thought it was uncrowded in comparison. One way to avoid the worst queues is to take ski school as they get lift priority. When snow conditions in the lower areas and surrounding resorts are bad Les Saisies can get pretty crowded because it has by far the best snow around (we get ski instructors bringing private clients over from Flaine sometimes). The "Glisse Passion" ESI ski school, which is the one we always use, has a maximum group size of 10 but lessons will probably be in French, as the majority of visitors are French. Private lessons are very good value though limited availability at half term.

Yes, it's easy and pleasant to get to Notre Dame on skis, and I've done it with a confident second week boarder. There's a lovely long red run right down to Hauteluce, too, with two chairlifts back up, with lots of excellent "off piste" bits in between for the more confident riders. But it's not a "hot shot" resort, that's for sure. Does your group include children? It's great for kids - lots of nice confidence boosting runs, it's easy to meet up for lunch or to swap groups, and the lifties are generally very nice and patient with children. As I said, I generally avoid queues, but when they do happen, people are patient and don't push and shove (well, not if you can avoid the wretched Paris weeks). All very good humoured and friendly, really. We've been there 8 seasons and have noticed more English voices each year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We do have 8 "children" (ranging from 8-16), so family friendly is good. I'll pass the info back to the group and we can decide! Thanks again for your really useful help and advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy