Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Haute Maurienne steepish (part 1) * now with added Part 2...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After 2 weeks of seriously unsettled weather, the forecast finally started to look more predictable, so Will, Greg & I set about plotting a short trip. We decided to avoid the honeypot effect of Chamonix, and headed instead for the peace & quiet of the Haute Maurienne, hoping in particular to ski the North face of the Grande Ciamarella, a classic steep descent, with 500m at about 50º.

The beauty of spring skiing is high access on the roads, which combined with last week's cold temperatures and snowfall meant we only had to walk 5 minutes from l'Ecot before putting skis & skins on to climb up to the Evettes refuge:

Approaching the refuge it became clear the Grande Ciamarella was far from skiable, with the face almost entirely in grey ice:

The refuge is unguardianed midweek, so we set about warming the place up... Will improvising with his ice axe (we discovered the axe & chopping block outside the next day...):

After a good meal, Greg discusses routes with a new friend:

Setting off at 5 a.m. the next day morale was low, Greg was laid up with a stomach bug, and the early mist turned into 45 minutes of heavy snowfall as we skinned up the lower glacier:

Finally as we climbed higher the weather started to clear, and the surrounding summits started to reveal themselves:

The day's objective was the North East face of the 3637m Albaron, a steep and slightly exposed descent from this classic Mauriennais peak.
Skirting crevassed areas on the skin up to the Selle de l'Albaron:

Below the North East face. The ski descent takes the obvious hanging slope before traversing hard skier's left above the cliffs to pick up a couloir in line with the summit:

Tomorrow's line on the Petite Ciamarella - the Face Nord Directe, takes the sunlit shoulder then the exposed rampline through the cliff band (more logical than it seems from this angle!):

Looking across at the upper face from near the Selle de l'Albaron:

A nice scramble up the ridge to the summit:

Will on the summit of the Albaron:

Looking down the face:

Will at the bottom of the first pitch (having just come back from Chamonix where if you wait for 5 seconds someone else has skied your line Will had a little trouble adjusting to the fact that noone else was around...).
Perfect snow conditions, 10-15cm of powder on a chalky packed powder base:

Questing off on the traverse:

The traverse turned out to be straightforward, not the rocky scrape we had expected, and put us high up in the central couloir. More great skiing followed with steep chalky snow down to the narrows which gave 5m of icy sidelipping around rocks before opening onto the lower face.
Looking back up at the main face, Will bottom right of picture:

Below the exit gullies, great snow all the way... powder to the bottom of the gullies, then perfect spring snow all the way back to the refuge:

An easy slide & skate across the Evettes flats and a short skin through hordes of Marmottes took us back to the refuge for a welcome lunch and an afternoon lazing in the sun and plotting the next day's trip...

Alpenglow on the Grande Ciamarella:

Video of the day to follow...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-05-10 8:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that looks great!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
double post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-05-10 14:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amazing so much is still skiable.
I did the Albaron about 20 years ago - skinning up from the Criou Refuge above Bonneval and skiing down the South face to the Averole Refuge (big sastruggi all the way). Your way looks more interesting.

For a REALLY steep slope in the Haute Maurienne how about the top of the East face of La Dent Parrachée (photo taken from Val Cenis)

Shocked
Our guide Zeb has skied it but I have no ambitions in that direction!

However we have skied the valley starting from the Col down the skyline to the left - down to Termignon. Very nice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 21-05-10 14:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, possibly one of the most aesthetically pleasing slopes in the valley!!! We got shut down on it by weather about 4 weeks ago which was a bummer as it was in top condition... scoped it through binos yesterday on the way back & looks like you need an abseil now in the top face + running out of free time sadly.

There are steeper things yet in the valley - Dom Jean Maurice NE face is bigger & steeper & a full-on gnarl-fest by all accounts, & north face Grande Ciamarella. E face Parrachee still firmly on the wishlist though (as is the Couloir Roche on the north face) - just a shame the weather has been so bad for the last 2 weeks... Lots to do in the Maurienne valley!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good work.

Not sure that I'd rate 50* as only "steepish" myself Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, yeah, more like free fall.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
Good work.

Not sure that I'd rate 50* as only "steepish" myself Shocked

I thought that. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like same axes as me... haven't used them for log splitting yet though Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very, very nice. Another for the wish list Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Day 2 of our Maurienne trip.

After a lazy afternoon and an early night it was another 5 a.m. start to head for the Petite Ciamarella.
For the first time in weeks the skies were clear from the word go which made a pleasant change. The summit is centre in the picture below, with the normal route skirting left before traversing back right to the summit. The line of descent was by the 'Face Nord Direct' dropping straight from the summit to the cliffs below before following a ramp-line through the cliffs, giving the most direct descent from the summit.

On the way up, approaching the mid-height seracs:

View north into the Vanoise - Mt Pourri on the left, Grande Sassiere & Tsanteleina on the right, with Mt Blanc behind:

The summit in sight:

Grande Ciamarella through a breche on the summit ridge. The North face dropping left (and currently very icy):

Not far now:

Looking across at yesterday's line on the Albaron:

A quick scramble was needed to get onto the summit block....Greg trying the direct (and overhanging) variation:

Petite Ciamarella summit:

Perfect snow on the upper shoulder, chalky, grippy, smooth...

Looking back at the line from below. Following the shoulder gives the best fall-line from the summit, and despite a slightly crusty ramp-line the Direct avoids having to traverse hard right or left as per the standard descents...:

Video to follow...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh that Maureen - she's steep!

Nice one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fabulous. As before I'd have loved all the downhill but I'm not sure I'd have paid for it with all that uphill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sweet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy