Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 burnin' luvs to K2 miss conducts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...I've skied all this last season on a lovely pair of K2 Burnin' Luvs, but sadly at the end of the season, the cost of transporting them home was more than I paid for them, so I dumped them. Embarassed I SERIOUSLY REGRET THIS NOW! but money was tight, and I was foolish... Sad

So now, I am left to replace them. The 2011 Burnin Luvs look awful, but I loved the ski. I've found a cheap 2010 Miss Conduct, which looks similar to the Burnin Luv, but its not one I have heard much about. Puzzled

I ski reasonably well - I taught for the whole season, a lot of kid's park, so the Burnin' Luvs were used for a great deal of snowplough. I imagine the new ski would be used for the same! On days off, I venture into the deep stuff a little, but I'm not a huge off piste fan. I want something with a twin tip as I am keen on the park, but as it would be predominantly used for on piste, it needs to be a good carver.

So, do I stick with my Burnin Luv? Go for the miss conduct? Or something entirely new?

Any advice super duper welcome. Anyone telling me I'm an idiot for dumping skis I loved...I'll take the telling off fair and square! Embarassed

x
snow report
 brian
brian
swisssnowbunny, some very cheap 08 Missconduct's still available at Sport Conrad

http://sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70005237
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, thanks for the link, but they're a bit long for me - as a total shortie I ski on 149cm max!! Any idea how the Missconducts perform in comparison to the Burnin Luvs?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
swisssnowbunny, I have some Miss Demeanours in 154cm. As they are twin tip you can ski 'em a bit longer. I am also a total shortarse. Great all-round ski both on and off piste, which were designed for the park. I like them better than Burning Luv's
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, how do you ski, if you don't mind me asking? I tried the Miss Demeanors several seasons ago, and didn't love them. I felt that they controlled me, rather than the other way around - I know the Miss Conducts are meant to be an easier ride, so that's why I'm tempted. I guess I have improved though, so it may be worth another try.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swisssnowbunny, hmm, good question. May also depend on your weight, I'm no lightweight so perhaps the stiffer ski is better for me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in no way an aggressive skier, more cautious.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swisssnowbunny, Anyone who knows me will say I'm a total groupie but have you considered Lotta Luvs? I know of at least 1 SH who's been converted from Burnin' Luvs to a fellow LL fan...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eeyore, yep I demoed both and found the Burnin' Luvs to be pretty ordinary, the Lotta Luvs were OK... Then again I demoed more K2s this season and I think I'm really not a K2 type of skier...

but yes - the Lotta Luvs I found to be a far better ski than the Burnin Luvs
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eeyore, little tiger, the Lotta Luvs look quite fat to me, and more of an off piste ski. I'm thinking that could be a problem since I mainly spend my time on piste, and certainly this season spent a lot of time on icy hard pack. Have you tried the Lotta Luvs in less than perfect condition, and if so how do they go?

Just had a scout around the K2 website, anyone know much about the Free Luv skis? They are meant to be a compromise between the Burnin' Luv and the Lotta Luv?

I'm still seriously tempted by the Miss Conducts though...decisions decisions!!!

little tiger, it will definately be a K2 ski I would have thought, I LOVE them. I've skied on a lot of makes, and K2 feel like they are part of me: My opinions on the others:

Dynastar - hated
Salomon - hated
Atomic - hated
Rossignol - liked well enough
Volkl - liked fairly well
Kneissl - almost my favourite
K2 - LOVE!

I'd be interested in trying some Head skis, and maybe some Nordicas, and some Line skis, but getting the chance is often difficult..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What do you like about K2?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, I don't know if I can put my finger on it exactly.

I like the stability of them. I like that the ones I've tried have all been versatile - fine on and off piste, fine for teaching and my own skiing, my Burnin Luvs were twin tipped enough that I could do what I am able to do in the park, and came in useful for shooting down backwards keeping my beady eye on the children I taught.... Laughing I definately missed the twin tip element on the Rossignol and Kneissls that I tried, and I also found the Kneissls very very heavy to lug around, particularly when lumbered with several pairs of kids skis as well.

I found they turned nice and easily, they coped with speed nicely. I found both the Dynastars and the Salomons a little less stable and they felt almost flimsy. I don't know exactly...I'm not really sure what I'm talking about (can you tell?!) but they felt comfortable. Puzzled

Oh and they're pretty Embarassed ...although the Burnin' Luvs clash horribly with my outfit...shame. NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swisssnowbunny, skied them all over Les Deux Alpes glacier in summer IIRC, also Christmas there... Yes they saw a fair bit of hard pack... they do ski a little better off piste or slushy snow - but are hardly 'fat' at 78 under foot.

I know what you mean about 'LOVE' with some skis... I was like that with my Volkl Racetigers - they just suit me...

Missed you want them for teaching - but personally I would not use the Burnin Luv's - I'd be looking for a cheater GS type of radius - I love my Stockli GS in cheater radius which are about to be sold... great everyday ski

I see you were OK with Volkl - I like them too... Have you tried any Elans? I really like my Elan SLX's but a bit aggressive to teach on probably(Ok for a larger skier)...

Try to get the base bevel on whatever you get set up so you have a little more base bevel at tip and tail - makes a big difference... My latest cheater GS is 0.5 under foot and 0.8 at tip and tail.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, thanks for your advice - you're right, the Lotta Luvs are not 'fat' really. Definately still worth a consideration. Any reason you wouldn't suggest teaching on the Burnin Luvs? I managed quite well this winter on them, and the snow where I was wasn't ideal for the most part....but I generally work kids park/blue run skiers for the majority of the time, so anything goes I suppose.

Have never tried Stockli, but have been recommended them numerous times, generally don't seem to be able to find a distributor where I am (or more accurately, where I am near ski shops who will let me sample/rent for free for a while). Not tried any Elans, but I'm not a huge fan of aggresive skis, being neither agressive nor heavy myself.

I think I'm keen on the idea of an all around ski, as I don't want to be buying/carrying multiple pairs to resort, and as I said, due to the relatively low ability levels I tend to teach, most skis work well enough for that aspect. Hence tending towards the twinnies....

Decisions, decisions....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stockli - your best bet is probably to head to switzerland... IIRC one or two of the snowheads lives in switzerland and knows places to go... I can tell you where in Australia Wink

Elan - the race skis are 'aggressive' in that they are FIS race skis - but easy to initiate a turn etc for that type of ski. I understand the ladies skis are very nice but have not skied them - not a 'ladies ski' type of skier myself. (I love race skis) I'd at least try out their offering if you could.

Burnin's to me felt 'dead' (I skied them in 2006 may be different now) - for a piste oriented ski they had little rebound - just felt like a flat dead plank... I like to get something back when I work a ski... More important to me though would be the radius - 13m - yes? I'd be wanting a 15-17m radius to teach on I think. -But I'm not an instructor. However my examiner/trainer mates agree with that radius. If you are teaching a non-carved turn (lower level skiers - eg most lessons) then the smaller radius is 'catchier' (to me) and the longer radius smoother steering... If you are mostly teaching those at learn to carve stage then a smaller radius to match theirs would be helpful, and they will find a small radius less intimidating. Plus the cheater GS radius will let you ski back to meeting area for next lesson fast Wink (That happened to my instructors very often 3mins over about 4km of trail was the record I think- skipped the trail and jumped the creek much shorter route!) Easiski loves a shorter radius for teaching - just would not be my first preference especially if it meant a Burnin...

Having said all that - I can see what you might like in a k2 - they are pretty non-demanding to ski... Me - I detest Salomons so to each his own... Don't discount teh Lottas until you try them - they are fairly reasonable to ski in teh sort of conditions you are describing... Very popular on the bus at Breck last season -I don't think I did many trips without a pair on the bus with me). The Phats would be way too fat-I had a friend taught on them all season but she was in Utah and had a stockli for hardpack days.

If you get stuck again try posting/shipping the skis separately... or maybe see if a friendly local can mind them... My instructor buddies all seem to have pairs in garages that they have left for future use...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
swisssnowbunny, Stockli have test centres at Engelberg, Hoch-Ybrig, Melchsee-Frutt and Soerenberg. I think they do test weekends on the Zermatt glacier in the autumn as well. Great skis. Their range of twins is called the Rotor.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swisssnowbunny, I do most of my skiing on piste but bought them because I want to go off piste more. They are a very solid ski so great at adapting to the conditions be that perfectly groomed or a bit choppy. My skiing has seriously improved since I got them because, when I do have a wobble, they practically recover for themselves, it's like skiing on rails at times. That said, if you see pics of my recent accident, don't let that put you off, just randomly caught an edge and probably jinxed myself given moments previously I was congratulating myself on how beautifully I was tearing up the red run. Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
little tiger, thanks so much for all your advice, its been a lot of help! I wish I knew more about skis, but I'm learning... I'm going to have a look at the radius more carefully and maybe edit/amend my short list!!

brian, interesting that they test in Zermatt, that's where I've been for most of the season, although I'm looking at across the pond for next winter. Will keep my eyes open for that though, as I'm sure I'll be back in Zermatt soon...love the place.

Eeyore, I'm definately interested in testing the Lottas, especiallly after what you've said. Hope you have recovered from your accident - I know what you mean about it always happening when you are feeling confident! Of the 2 falls I had all season which actually caused injury, one was on a blue run when turning round to look over my shoulder at my friend - caught an edge and BOOM!

Thanks everyone for the help...only downside is I'm now thinking I want 2 pairs of skis, some freestyle twinnies and then some teaching skis...maybe race skis/carvers. Lottery win please?!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
swisssnowbunny, fancy a bike as well?

http://de.stoeckli.ch/main/events/ski_und_bike_test_zermatt/
snow report
brian, already sorted for a bike thanks!!
latest report
swisssnowbunny, yes try some different radii in the same type of ski... eg slalom race ski and cheater gs... twinnies with small radius(<13m) or 15-17m... Also see if you can find out what the ski you are testing ahs been tuned to...

Like I said for you I really would make sure you have a varying base bevel applied once you purchase - the lack of 'catchy' in the tip and tail will be handy when teaching... Keeping underfoot easily engaged and tip/tail needing a little bit more work is very nice... Oh and remember a nice sharp side edge will help on the hardpack - so learn to touch up regularly to keep them that way
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy