Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for Ski Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I've just finished my second season and my second pair of gloves. The first pair (Salomon) were very tough but didn't breathe too well in warm conditions so I bought a pair of Phoenix Goretex gloves. These are great but after just 11 days use my ski edges have shredded one of the thumbs. Can anyone suggest a tough pair of Goretex gloves with a decent amount of reinforcement between the thumb and index finger. Removable liners wouldn't go amiss and I'm looking at spending up to about £50.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark, Were they sold as skiing gloves? Because if they were, they have to fit for that use. That includes carrying skis. My Columbia gloves fell apart after 2 weeks and I took them back to the shop. They agreed that they should have lasted longer and gave me a replacement with apologies. So, in the first instance I'd do that. Then you won't have to spend anything Laughing

But I wouldn't recommend them because I don't know if my new pair will fare any better!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would recommend Burton snowboarding gloves. They feel a little stiff at first but they get better when you break them in, mine have lasted for about ten weeks before starting to tear at the thumb.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Burton gloves are quite excellent but they fell apart quickly when I used them for skiing personally.

The best, most hard-wearing gloves I've had are Hestra, I've been using them for three seasons now and although they're a bit tired they're basically still fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a pair of Phoenix cost £50.00 done 17 days so far this year and not a mark on them. Take them back and get them changed, 11 days use shows the gloves were sub standard to me. The Phoenix gloves I have are the best gloves I have ever used for comfort and warmth even at minus 20 in January this year my fingers were like toast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a fabulous pair of Killy gloves in Austria last year for about £55. I had previously bought a pair of North Face but after a week, the "stench" from my gloves would empty people carriers! Half a bottle of Chanel aftershave only made matters worse.
The Killys have fleecy lining and leather palms which extends to provide the re-inforcement needed to carry skis without cutting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi, I complained to Ellis Brigham 2 years ago about 2 pairs of Eider Defender gloves that came apart at the seams at 6 + 8 days use. EB claimed that skis had cut them (not true) and there was no comeback. After a bit of aggro got a refund, but the shop made me feel as though it was something "special". They claimed that ski gloves are not designed for carrying skis. Sharkymark, I replaced with Hestra gloves in Goretex they get a thumbs up Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although not as trendy, Tog24 do a goretex glove with a removable fleece liner for under £50 in either mitten or fingered glove.

The removable fleece inner gives greater flexability to a pair of gloves (you can take them out on very hot days), as well as making them easier to dry.

So far mine have had ten days use only, but still look good as new.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
where did you get the Tog24 gloves from Marc, anywhere localish? I'm a huge fan of removable liners because

a) it helps the whole glove dry quicker, I remove them every night
b) you can ski in the fleece or just the outer depending on outside temperature/precipitation
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, they're available on line at their shop here, or you can look on the site for an outlet nearer you.

The mittens are now dirt cheap at £29, and I can vouch that they are toasty.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BTW it's the Marvel with the removable inner.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another fan of Phoenix. Have used then for about 4 weeks and they look like new. Just a bit too warm for late season afternoons when I switch to cycling gloves.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers Marc, a fair few stores near me in Leeds then, some of them are outlet stores, will they have the gloves cheaper than the website price do you know?

regards,

greg
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, Try Seven sports in Armley the have a good range of gloves and you can usually wangle a deal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have to agree with the comments about Hestra, bought some mitts, 2 yrs ago, upwards of 60 days skiing in all conditions, and no complaints
latest report
I've had the Lowe Alpine mountain gloves with leather palm and finger protection, used for 6 years ice climbing and a couple of ski trips - very hard wearing and only paid £40 for them.
latest report
Nice one, thanks for all the suggestions.
ski holidays
gregh, If you're in Leeds, then go to their "proper" mill shop in Heckmondwyke to see if they have any seconds. They shift decent gear with, for e.g., the washing instructions missing, or less one pop-stud.

Otherwise the outlet shops are the same price as online.
latest report
The Tog 24 gloves look particularly appealing. I've read some reviews in Fall Line Skiing magazine but can't find many of the gloves they reviewed online. Does anyone know where I can find the ACG gloves or the Hestra XCR gloves...
snow report
I have a pair of Ami Chaud Goretex gloves I bought the first time I went skiing (11 years ago). Still OK, but I have a new pair now,
latest report
Sharkymark,
[url=http://ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/316312||@cSki%20Gloves@bHestra|0|user||3|/]Ellis Brigham[/url] do the Hestra's They should be bullet proof at that price !
Haven't seen the ACG ones anywhere.
snow report
Hestra's and Eider gauntletts, both with leather palms and fingers. I rotate them daily so I don't have to fry them overnight.
Still in very good nick after 5 seasons.
A bit of basic care should prolong their life like drying them out properly and taking care with skis.
Edges are sharp...or should be...and if you expect them to cut through ice they aren't going to
have much problem cutting up gloves.!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy