Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esprit Ski Lessons in Peisey for more advanced children...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We have just booked Esprit in Peisey for Jan 2011, whilst the overall package seems good, I was very disappointed by the ski lesson which are offered by Esprit. Our two children, G (aged 9) completed Bronze etoile with ESF in la tania at easter and E (aged 7) completed 2 star as well. The best Esprit can offer is a 2 star level course with ESF, but a custom esprit course which just means smaller groups AFAIK.

Anyone got any advice what we should do? There is a New Generation school in Vallandry which we could probably use, but the "Esprit Service" for children (such as taking them or picking them up from ski school) isnt offered if other lessons are used, they even arent allowed to take them/pick them up if we used ESF in Peisey which they also use for their lessons.

Cheers,
Peter
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
prthomas, hi Peter- My oldest son Ben 8 is in a bit of a similar position- but I don't really worry about it.

He has done about 13 or so weeks skiing since 3 (if skiing at 3 and 4 really counts for anything at all- his younger brother now 5 has only 3 weeks but actually skis a little better than Ben did at the same age despite loads less skiing). We have had a variety of TO and DIY hols with them both but Ben has been on 3 'boys trips' with me when little brother too little and mum preggers with number 3. Whenever Ben has been in a TO children's group he has been in a slightly less advanced group compared with our DIY holidays. At first this bothered me in a 'touch line dad' sort of way (which surprised me given my total disinterest in football/rugby/cricket). But Ben has never minded. He loves skiing- with kids his own age, having fun and lessons. He has progressed and had lots of great ski holidays.

At Xmas with Esprit in Chamonix he was in the 'advanced' group- he did however get his third and much longed for star- he was then as usual the youngest and smallest in his class- but none of them got one (obviously this makes me very proud). In previous years the Esprit classes - including in Peisey he has been in have been fine and he has really enjoyed them.

At Easter- in Peisey but not with a big TO Ben was just in the normal ESF 'Bronze' group- apart from the first day (a Sunday) there were other English kids- about 50:50. He got his Bronze and was told he'd get Gold next time- 'no problem'. He now skis bumps faster than most adults (including me on tele gear) and tries to straight-line most blues. Future TO holidays probably won't be able to place him in a group according to his ski ability- but he will get fun, more time on skis and can ski with me and the rest of the family in the afternoons- perhaps doing some bumps of skier cross if he gets bored.

For us the big advantage if not going with a massive group of friends is the childcare and child-company with Esprit. Ben and Joe both love the general fun, monkeying about , songs and gunging- and being with their new friends on the slopes.

Obviouly New Generation has an excellent reputation( and Mr and Mrs New Generation send their kids to Ben and Joes school- since they are based in Liverpool) but I'd just not really worry about this, go with the flow. In a 2 star group- you can get a 3 star badge- I think . the older child will get more miles and have a laugh. The alternative is you taking them away from their friends, having to be there at 9.30, then back at 12 noon - although this is possible at Esprit n Peisey as the lifts/ chalets and ski school meet are so convenient- do you really want to do that? Will they prefer it? Is it important?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ed123, This is exactly what I was thinking, the company of the other kids is more important to her than the advancing in her skiing really and if necessary we can always take a private lesson in the afternoon if we think she isnt learning anything. I am not really a "touch line dad" (I actually coach mini rugby so spend most of my time trying to shield the kids from the parents who are behaving like this), but particularly for G I see that skiing is a talent that I want to encourage but I suppose that skiing with her new friends from the chalet will be much more fun than being singled out into another group.

Cheers,
Peter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
prthomas wrote:
I suppose that skiing with her new friends from the chalet will be much more fun than being singled out into another group.

exactly!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

if necessary we can always take a private lesson in the afternoon if we think she isnt learning anything.

I'd only think about this if she thinks she isn't learning anything and actively wants a lesson. She'd probably prefer to much around with you and show off how much better she's getting. Fun on skis is surely the most (only?) important thing at this stage. If she's got the talent, simply skiing more, in a group being sensibly led, will improve her skills.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'd only think about this if she thinks she isn't learning anything and actively wants a lesson.

Oops, yes, that is really what I meant.... Perhaps I am a touch line dad after all Very Happy

Thanks anyway to everyone for your views
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy