Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i wanna do 360's off a jump, but im a chicken

Poster: A snowHead
and dont want to get hurt, do they do lessons for this stuff at hemel or is it just a case of man up and have a go....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could do a definition course. they do snowboarding as well as skiing freestyle courses. also, there are instructors/coaches available on friday evenings at the freestyle sessions - you could ask them for help and/or which course will be best. surprisingly, the freestyle sessions aren't just for snowboarders and there are beginners around at each session. they have the beginner freestyle stuff out on the learner slopes for those who aren't confident enough for the bigger stuff yet.

edit for error in the link. sorry.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-05-10 9:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, If you are a skier you could try one of these

http://www.salomongromcamps.co.uk/

It is just a case of having the cahonas to actually action it if you clup of your skis or Board and jump 360 it is the same thing and movments needed. I would start with 180 and spinning on landing to get a feel for the movment and then try the 360

Just get a good pop of the jump and that will give you the time to get it right.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just get a good pop of the jump

what that just pop one of my knee ligaments wink

im a very old grom but doesnt look like they do hemel..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Man up and have a go. If you can I would say head straight for the 360, many people I know try 180s, get comfortable and then every time they go for a 360 stop half way round in there rotation.

I can pretty consistently land 360s now but it took lots of work (for me) to get there but I've never hurt myself - including all the times I nearly landed them on teles!

It's ALL about your head. Start the rotation from your skis - if you look at the jibbers - they're normally carving there skis in the direction of the rotation just before they even leave the ground - use your arms and shoulders to really turn your body but make sure it's your head that's leading everything - keep turning your head until you spot your landing then keep your eyes locked in the (original) direction of travel. Like all skiing & jibbing look up and forwards, locate your landing spot so you can adjust your skis and then look towards where you are skiing.

When I'm hucking or attempting to jib I have to picture myself stomping the landing and riding away. Don't get too caught up in what you are doing, look forward to the next section or you will crash out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, yeah i think your right... just have a go... probably need to get comfortable hitting the little kickers and landing well first though. I am a bit worried about getting back and landing on the tails and blowing up knees but need to sort that out by just doing it.. I have figured out how to do 180's off little bumps without drama so shouldnt be a huge deal but.......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, lots of time getting comfortable in the air first is definitely good... doesn't have to be a big kicker, but you do need a bit of air time for an easy 360, without having to throw it really hard (which is more likely to throw you out of balance at the same time)..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found the clips on this site very helpful:

http://andreashatveit.com/blog.php

This also:
http://youtube.com/v/aDj_Z-UQsU0
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get a chance maybe try them in powder. I still can't do 3s but i got pretty damn good at 270s. Not really that useful (maybe i should just try on to a rail) and some fairly heavy splats but it never really hurt. It's all about committing, if you go for it you're more likely to actually get round whereas chickening out half way through is where it's likely to hurt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elston, that was good tah... i am not looking at anything big just little pops. he really gets a wide low stance before hitting the little jump at :33, thats the sort of thing i am after....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, if you do find something let me know as I'm also interested. While I'm happy dropping stuff I'm pretty much a n00b in the park Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I've always been worried about my knees, but found that well designed kickers and carrying enough speed to land on the down slope not the knuckle and it's a surprisngly gentle landing!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

carrying enough speed to land on the down slope

thats the main problem, remember i did say i was a chicken !! i think just getting happy with hitting the kickers and getting some air is the first port of call as offpisteskiing, says.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boys will be boys... rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, not really. i want to do the same but am also chicken! Embarassed Laughing
latest report
kitenski, so that was not you in the video you posted? I think you have to accept the fact that your trying something new and are bound to get hurt at first.
snow conditions
Quote:
I think you have to accept the fact that your trying something new and are bound to get hurt at first.

Not true - start small and work up to it.
360s are all in the head.... If you commit then you *will* get all the way round (with out much effort).

Several years ago I got some great tips on the Hillend dry slope from an ex GB mogul skier

- Firstly work out which way you want spin - left or right ?
- Always pop up off the lip (this is important). Once your actually in the air keeping turning your head until you can see the landing.
- Always lead the rotation with your head. When learning most people try to rotate from the shoulders, which really puts you off balance for the landing.
- Make sure to keep your shoulders and hips lined up all the way round the spin.
- Practice them in running shoes! Stand on a line, and if your poping up the way properly you should be able to spin 360 and land with your feet back in the same place.

As others mentioned it doesn't have to be a big jump. A little 2 foot kicker should give plenty air with out risk of hurting yourself.
Carving up the side of a large mogul, cambered bank or spine is a good way to start out - and also means you can get away with a 270 the first couple of shots.
Sort of like a reverse jump turn.

With a little practice 360s are actually easier than 180s wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-05-10 13:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, if you can ski switch!
snow report
skimottaret, me too! I think I'm a bigger chicken than you though. Very Happy
latest report
How far round can you get standing still on the flat on your skis? Light skis obviously help. If you can get past 270 standing still then you can do a 360 off a very small bump. With a bit of practice you should be able to do 360 standing still as long as you are not on huge heavy skis.
snow report
Liveezy wrote:
kitenski, so that was not you in the video you posted? I think you have to accept the fact that your trying something new and are bound to get hurt at first.

yes it was me in the black jacket....12 secs in here, I thought I cleared the knuckle....

http://youtube.com/v/L7LdH25Jpss&feature=player_embedded
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Now getting some very strange looks 360'ing round the office snowHead
ski holidays
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGoatPost#p/u/29/VBsCSX6hWgY

There is also a a full series of instruction vids that the guys at Aberdeen Garthdee slope put together.

I would get yourself a few freestyle lessons first Very Happy
latest report
Would it be worth doing it on a trampoline to start with? Or a run up to a one metre springboard in a diving pool?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Liveezy wrote:

yes it was me in the black jacket....12 secs in here, I thought I cleared the knuckle....

http://youtube.com/v/L7LdH25Jpss&feature=player_embedded

Not quite. A little more speed and your landings would have been a whole lot smoother.
ski holidays
snowrider, i can do 180 easy with slalom skis on, will try that next week to see if i can hit 270 Toofy Grin

Chattonmill, barefoot at home i can only stick a disappointing 270, (i am a fat b@stard though) MrsSkimottaret thinks i should grow up...

kevindonkleywood, anyone that does freestyle on plastic has had their safety gene removed from their DNA. i cant even watch a good guy like that for fear of seeing a crash. Skullie
snow conditions
skimottaret, Aberdeen is Snowflex, probably softer to land on than snow.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I can do the 360 but with my ski's.....would be better with a couple of warships stuck to my feet Laughing (Atomic sx12's and Rossi Mutix z10's)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just make sure your bindings are properly adjusted before you try it...

http://youtube.com/v/OiZz_mF8_9k
ski holidays
Quote:

Boys will be boys

Quote:

MrsSkimottaret thinks i should grow up

Great minds...? wink
latest report
arv, Jamie did exactly the same on the airbag in the park in VT on the EoSB - looked impressive. Unfortunately don't think we got a video.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, think you would be more reasonable to expect to see me doing that on the LPs next season Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, was something I wanted to work on last season along with hucking cliffs and a few other things. In the end I got 180s sorted but don't think I even attempted a 360. Same problem I always have when I aim to learn or improve on something: I'd rather go and hunt fresh snow or things I haven't done yet. In the end the biggest cliff I went off I fell off Laughing

However, for things like this I'm very much of the sack up and have a go school of attack, it's quite hard to seriously hurt yourself doing this as you don't need a big kicker or a massive amount of speed. I don't really know anything about rotation on skis but most people seem to advise some sort of wind up, they definitely do on a board, this is different to trampolining where good form* dictates keeping the body straight and rotation comes from forcing yourself off one foot more than the other, don't know if this would help on skis? Looking round until you spot your landing should help but after that getting your head straight and up is important.

* not so important on skis or you'd see all the park rats in leotards and skin tight pants.
ski holidays
Hurtle, this is purely a professional necessity as i am getting ready for our autumn skills clinics where we are going to offer some basic freestyle and i just noticed you have booked ahead, lucky you Toofy Grin

arv, good one! my favourite jump video http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=TDN2yrk-jeE&playnext_from=TL&videos=JNDC1IA_wgw
snow conditions
Quote:
but most people seem to advise some sort of wind up

Seriously no need...
Winding up to set a spin is a common fallacy.

As mentioned before - try it in trainers. Ideally standing on a line.
Pop up the way and just turn your head in the direction you want to spin - until you can see the landing.
Aim of the drill is to get your feet to land exactly where they started back on the line.
With a little practice you should even be able to reach a 540 from a standing start (and no wind up).

Now try the drill again - this time winding up before the pop.
You will soon find that winding up puts your shoulders out of line with the hips - making a clean landing much harder.

Disclaimer - I am no park rat expert. But you see loads of kids making the same mistake.
Especially on UK dry slopes jumps.
ski holidays
to old, too big, too heavy ..... get some slippers instead wink
snow report
Haggis_Trap, i am assuming you mean jumping off something or are you saying a 360 or even 540 on flat dry land is possible in trainers without a wind up? Puzzled
ski holidays
skimottaret, I just did a 360 in the living room without a wind up Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Haggis_Trap, i am assuming you mean jumping off something or are you saying a 360 or even 540 on flat dry land is possible in trainers without a wind up? Puzzled

No need to jump off anything - most reasonably athletic people wearing trainers will be able to do a 360 on the flat (no wind up - just keep turning your head until your all the way round!).
With a little practice its even possible to get a clean 540. But expect funny looks from the neighbors!
Go on - Try it Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 14-05-10 17:09; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap,

It works Very Happy

My patients think I'm mad Sad

really is far better without the wind up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy