Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camping in France en route to/from LDA

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this qualifies for being in "The Piste" or is better in "Apres", no doubt someone will shift it if deemed necessary wink .

We are going to LDA in June where we have an apartment booked Sun-Sun (could be Sat-Sat if necessary) and to save on hotel costs are planning to take the tent too as we're going to be away from home for 2 weeks Thu-Thu. We will be looking to camp 1-2 nights on the way down and 3-4 nights on the way back.

Please can those with experience of "le camping" point me to good websites and also offer personal hints/tips as we are inexperienced campers?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, we are novice campers too but probably having a go this summer Laughing I have been looking at the Castels website, seem like really nice sites with good facilities, might be a starting point Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, we've not used it ourselves, but met a couple in Beaune who were staying on a campsite there with good facilities, and within walking distance of the town. They camp so they can spend alll their money on good food and wine. We ended up going for dinner with them in a great restaurant, after spending the afternoon in the Marché aux Vins, tasting wine. Search for 'Camping Municipal' in your chosen location.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly, We used the Michelin 'Camping Caravaning le guide' when we had a caravan and holidayed in France. It has details of most of the campsites in France with lots of maps, a list of the facilities and approximate cost.
Amazon have it on sale for under £10 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Camping-France-Michelin-Guides/dp/2067147250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273777729&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - that's a good start. I've just noticed ukcampsite has reviews of some French sites too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, if it's just an overnight and on your way in the morning, you can just go for simple sites which are likely to be quieter, and cheaper. Many French places have municipal sites which are generally excellent value.

Hints and tips? Always take a toilet roll with you to the loos. And have Crocs to wear on site - including in the showers if they're grubby (which they're usually not).

Oh - another hint. Find a square sort of bucket which your dinner plates can go in easily. Many sites have a special sink for washing up, but not always brilliantly clean. If you have a square bucket your stuff can be carried in it (with one hand), a small amount of hot water and a brush will make washing up easily, and you can carry the clean and rinsed stuff back to dry at your tent. Round buckets can't generally fit in a proper sized dinner plate and washing up bowls need two hands to be carried - not practical for more than 2 metres.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, heading a bit further east from Champagne into the Ardennes and the Jura might be nice too. Thinking about doing that ourselves on our outbound trip to Serre Che this summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Puzzled we've managed quite happily for 20 years with a washing up bowl.

Butterfly, we use ANWB (Dutch) as their inspections are very thorough and the ratings can be relied upon in our experience. I have used municpal sites and have found some very good ones, but have also been on a traveller site and found others to be a bit dodgy. I woudl try and get a recommendation for a municipal if you can.

Hells Bells, Would Langres be a suitable stop off? we stayed in an excellent site there on a lakeside.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, Unless you do the washing up in the same place as you eat, then you either have to carry the bowl full of dirty dishes to the washing up place (and back) which can be quite a long way if you go for a secluded pitch or, if you wash up at the tent, you have to carry a washing up bowl full of dirty water somewhere civilised to empty it (and carry water to the tent, too) Either way, it's far easier with a bucket, but it has to be square. Most of my experience is actually in a marina rather than a camp site, and the necessity of having one hand to hang on to a stay while climbing off the boat holding the washing up in the other made a bucket a necessity.

Living in a marina in a small boat is quite like camping - you either have to walk to the loos when you need them, or use a bucket (NOT THE WASHING UP BUCKET) and using the marina facilities for washing up was hugely easier, and cheaper, than doing it on a small boat.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good tip about the bucket! The municipals sound potentially really good value, but I will bear the caveat in mind - thanks holidayloverxx. As we're camping not caravanning, a "simple" site may not fit the bill as we need to have loos/showers (and preferably not loos that look like shower trays Shocked ).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I think I'd be using a bucket on a boat too, but on dry land a washing up bowl is fine we've found.

Butterfly, The municipals do have toliets!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, I don't think you'll find any French municipal sites which don't have (proper) loos and showers. Very, very, few caravans have showers that are anything other than a pathetic dribble and if you use your loo you have to empty it (not a big problem with the bucket on our little boat...). Most sites throughout Europe are full of Dutch caravanners who have everything, including carpets for their awnings, big expanding driers for their washing and satellite TV. But they all seem to use the camp showers! They also speak all languages known to man so can be very useful if you have any problems.

But don't go anywhere without your toilet roll. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
Hells Bells, Would Langres be a suitable stop off? we stayed in an excellent site there on a lakeside.

Year before last, we were heading for Langres for a night in the motorhome, but spotted a Camping Municipal in a village just to the North (Humes Jorquenay). It was basic, but quiet and pretty - a stream runs along one edge. There's nothing in the village - the curse of out of town shopping, I guess, but it was fine for a one nighter. Stopping for more than one night, I would look for something in a slightly bigger village, or town, so you can walk to shops, restaurants etc.

As it is a basic camping municipal, it was also cheap, although I can't remember how much, we were definitely not ripped off. Had showers and a washing up area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, I haven't been to Langres, but it is 'en-route'.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, This website http://www.campingfrance.com/UK/ lists all registered campsites in France. As others have said look for municipal sites, generally good value and reasonable standards. If you are mainly stopping for one-nighters go light - you don't want to waste hours getting loads of stuff out only to pack it away 12 hours later.
ski holidays
Langres is quite pleasant, with old town walls with a walkway on top - a nice pre-dinner stroll.
snow conditions
This is where we stayed in Langres http://www.campingliez.com/index.php/en/ it is a family site on the lake, very good restaurant on site and another a couple of hundred yards walk along the lake.
ski holidays
I've stayed here, at Troyes, very nice with a good pizzeria (v weird restaurant tho)
http://www.troyescamping.net/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=3

The same people run this place which could be nice
http://campingmarcenaylac.com/site/index.php
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy