Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first season advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi guys,
im just planning my first ski season in the alps and have a few things id like confirming from people in the know.
having read through the forums ive decided to go with the big tour operators as im happier to work hard for no money but have almost all my costs thrown in than have to budget really hard to afford lift passses and worry about accomodation and stuff.

ive whittled it down to three jobs after researching and put them in this order of preference
-bar/waiting
-driver/maintenance
-rep
i have lots of experience relevant to all three jobs, particuarly the first two but got the feeling from previous posts that bar and waiting gave the most piste time so decided to go for that primarily with the other two as back up choices where available.
i have a few questions though

Tui, mark warner, neilson and a few others say 'equiptment hire' is free to staff, is this actually of any use or will i be wanting my own gear after the first week? i have a fair bit of ski and board experience but have never looked into getting my own stuff as i only go once a year.
can someone who has done the driver job give me a clear idea of the hours and duties involved, i got a fair idea through ringing a rep but i think she might have just been reading the company information not giving me personal advice.

finally, what are the essentials that people recomend packing for a season and how much money do you reckon i need saved to avoid having isssues mid season if i spend a bit too much in the bar or ski shop?

thanks in advance guys and sorry if some of this has been asked before.
phil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome, but you're on the wrong forum.....try Natives
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ahhh! apologies.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go to natives.co.uk for the best info, but here's my take.

Bar work is usually pretty hard to get. Waiting will often be during the day restricting snow time. Chalet work is one of the easiest jobs, and whilst you will have to cook and clean, you can get 4-5 hours on the hill each day if you're organised (apart from transfer day, but then you'll hvae your day off too).

The free equipment hire is usually the cheapest the hire shops have. You will want your own kit. It is worth paying the extra to get good quality kit too, as it will see a lot of use and abuse over a season. If you're a skier, your own boots at the vey least are a must. Good gloves too.

Essentials:
Laptop/something to play music and films on
Ducktape
Buy a local cheap mobile
You don't need too many clothes, just a few jeans, few hoodies and selection of tshirts
and...

LOTS OF SKI SOCKS!!!!!!!

Money, obviously more is better. At the least have enough to cover the first month 'till you get paid (drinks are usually more expensive in resort than in the UK, toillettries too). Try and have a couple of hundred in reserve too in case of emergencies like broken/lost/stolen skis.

Have fun!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done a season working for a TO. I was a 'Resort Manager', so I was paid the most, had the nicest accommodation (i.e. my own room, everyone else had to share), but I had the least slope time. However, I definitely had the most rewarding and challenging job.

Generally, bar and chalet staff get paid the least but do get 3-4 hours free per day to go skiing. The reps get a fair bit of ski time too as they generally ski with the customers, which I did some days too.

I was OK with the ski hire and I had my own boots. We had a bit of leeway with the hire shop and got new equipment at the beginning of the season, strictly bog standard piste skis but they were OK for what I wanted. I had my own salopettes too and I took my own jacket as well (sometimes it was nice to be incognito and not wear the company jacket).

I didn't spend any extra money whilst I was there but that was because I didn't have any. It did mean I didn't have much of a social life, but hey what's new.

You'll have a great time. I really enjoyed the season I did and would love to have done it again, but sadly the reality of needing to pay off student debt meant it was strictly a one-off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy