Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Analysis Practice #2

Poster: A snowHead
A second set of video, starting with:

http://youtube.com/v/5o7bwngoL9w

'Shorts', shot on steep 'red'.

What do you see ? and What's going to make it 'better', how, and why ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More lateral separation would allow bigger edge angles at the top of the turn. Skis would then engage earlier and be more 'grippy' from the start. Lots of practive with lateral separation drills, eg cross arms across pole at shoulder height and keep the pole level through all phases of the turn.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
balance is very aft... the skis are not engaged until after the fall line
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
balance is very aft

I don't see that. I don't think the skis engage until the fall line because they are pivoted and relatively flat in the first half of the turn. A bigger edge angle at the start of the turn (by getting the legs out to the side more, a la Ligety) and standing on the ski would give more grip at the top of the turn, and allow them to come around in a short radius without needing quite so much pivoting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I don't see balance being out either. I think I would like to know what radius skis were being used first.

A nice clip of bigger edge angles and early pressure is here.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting comments.

rjs wrote:
rob@rar, I don't see balance being out either. I think I would like to know what radius skis were being used first.

Karma twin tips, 20.1m according to the internet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david@mediacopy, I have a pair of Karmas. Rubbish on piste for shorts. No wonder you're having to pivot the top of the turn.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
david@mediacopy, I have a pair of Karmas. Rubbish on piste for shorts. No wonder you're having to pivot the top of the turn.

I struggle with them more on-piste when it's icy, but if I recall that run I doubt it was my intention to 'actively' to pivot them.

The bindings on those are set back a tad which may contribute appearing 'back' although when skiing them I feel centred. When I jump back onto SL's it used to take a couple of runs to 'reset' my balance on them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry chappies but i still see a up and back movement putting the skier a bit aft at the transition
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Based on the outcome, there is good control of speed and line, and the movements made to achieve this are generally OK. The movement of the i/s leg sometimes lags and I suspect sometimes restricts the amount of leg lean\lateral movement. There is more snow coming off the skis in the 2nd half of the arc hinting at skimottaret's suggestion that the ski's are hooking up later than could be the case. I'm not sure if I agree entirely about the 'back' but having played the original a few times in slow motion I can see occasions why that might be an observation.

My approach would be to make the task harder, maybe using a narrower corridor, steeper pitch, shorter arc lengths, less skid etc, and see where the performance breaks down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David, those turns are well executed. Here's a break down of what they are:

Pivoted transitions, powered by anticipation. (Anticipation: upper body faces downhill at transition. Upon release of edge engagement, skis auto pivot downhill to join body)
Skiing in and out of counter produces the anticipation.
Slight up unweighting to release skis, but it's very minimal.
Excellent feathering into a nice steered turn as the skis load and engage post pivot.
Quiet upper body.
Yes, aft at transition, but that's OK. The pivot quickly puts you fore to engage the new turn.

If you were purposely turning in this manner you did well. If this is your only means of executing short turns you may consider exploring other methods. To remove the pivot, and replace it with a cleaner type of of initiation, transition with your upper body more square to your skis. The auto pivot effect of transitioning with upper body facing downhill works against clean (non pivoted) transitions. It can be done, but it significantly increases the difficulty of the task.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FastMan, Cheers. It was just some video from around 18 months ago that I thought I'd post to give as an 'outside' alternative on the MA theme. I guess those are the type of shorts I'd employ on steep terrain. Other blends and mixes of movement and technique are available ( I hope wink ).

To clarify a couple of points,

Quote:
Pivoted transitions, powered by anticipation. (Anticipation: upper body faces downhill at transition. Upon release of edge engagement, skis auto pivot downhill to join body)

This is what I call 'passive' rotation, in that the ski's & legs are being rotated by their action against the snow rather than 'muscular effort' from the skier. In this example I wasn't intending any 'active' rotation where I would be turning the ski's with muscular effort.

Quote:
To remove the pivot, and replace it with a cleaner type of of initiation, transition with your upper body more square to your skis.

So this will result in a different, more 'open' turn shape, perhaps similar to the racer show in the clip kindly posted by rjs ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So I've deliberately not read the other comments:

A bit backseat and "lazy" rather than aggresively getting on the front of the skis.

Z slashing rather than S smoothing. Tail push.

Pole plants seem to be late and cosmetic.

Possibly excused by a very springlike slope

I feel I ski exactly the same way in many circumstances.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure I agree that the skier is going for the auto-rotation, to me it looks like they are trying to make a cleaner carvey turn. Certainly on my big troubles, which are a similar radius, for an auto-rotate pivoty type turn I would have a much smaller radius. The tips aren't being driven, rather it looks like the tails are being pushed out after the transition, then the tips are being engaged. I definitely see the skier getting back during the transition, probably why the tip engagement is late. It does clean up in the latter half of the video, I'm guessing as the pitch angle decreases. To me it seems a little in between old school jumpy pivots and newer pure carved shorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a comparison, some footage from a recent(ish) ISTD course:

http://youtube.com/v/YzqRW6uhFVU

These guys were probably trying a tad harder than the skier in the OP.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, nice idea putting candidate video up... here is some random footage of BASI examiners, i have heard that you need to strive to out ski the trainer and if you do that you stand a chance. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Hu3klujv3VQ&feature=related
latest report
skimottaret,
Quote:
out ski the trainer and if you do that you stand a chance.

That makes sense. In theory you should be skiing at a similar level to the trainer given that 'trainer' is an appointment rather than an extra grade of qualification.
snow conditions
So who's going to kick off analysis on the trainers? wink
ski holidays
skimottaret, Thanks for that - I find it encouraging that there's room for a spectrum of styles at that level (and that not tele has to be knee to the ski wink )

One observation is that in almost all skiers the short turns look more forced and unnatural than med- long radius. Is there a real practical place for the short turn outside of bumps, trees and the race course?
latest report
fatbob, lots of different styles in the trainers i have seen. i think the basi "short turn" evolved from skinny ski days and is meant to demonstrate a blending of skills and is a such a tight radius that is almost impossible to do arc to arc so you have to check em, pivot etc to do em. on the coaching courses they dont do such tight radius turns at all and focus on SL and GS radius turns that can and should (depending on the level being examined) be carved.

slikedges, perhaps this wasnt the thread to put that video up on... i just stumbled across it looking at david@mediacopy, footage and clicked...

anyone want to kick off on MA of skier 1 in david@mediacopy, video of ISTD Chamonix training....
latest report
Skier 1 - took me looking at the freezeframe to work out what was going on with the legs. Looks like a lot of inner tip lead coming out of turn and the outside leg almost tucks in beside the lead in reverse tele fashion. Looks like the entire hips could get forward. Was going to say broken at teh waist but upper body looks reasonably stable.
snow conditions
just looking through to this, again from the ISTD thing but on bumps, is it just me (cheekily) but skinnier skis and narrower stance would help?
http://youtube.com/v/OkVs-9kQQww&feature=related
ski holidays
I thought the trainers video was quite encouraging too.

With regard to the ISTD clip, there are 2 performances which are different to the rest. One of the interesting points (especially when you check their 'longs') is that they were on 17m ski's. The majority of the others are apparently on SL ski's.
latest report
Not in point but couldn't help noticing this link

http://youtube.com/v/TWBkCDdgj2E&feature=related

Now that's the way to learn moguls.
snow report
fatbob, Holy Cow! Shocked
snow report
fatbob, dedication to the cause !
snow conditions
fatbob, do you think he has to dig those holes himself? or is it marmots again?

Twisted Evil

Awesome!
latest report
fatbob, fu......!!!

Now there's a guy who should enter the Coopers Hill cheese-rolling race. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy