Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine and the Tour de France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been offered the use of a friend's chalet in Morzine in early July. I see that the Tour de France is due to hit town during the week in question. Does anyone have a feel for how much an influence this will have on the 'normal running' of the village? Is it likely to dominate the whole week, with crowds, blocked off roads, impossible to book restaurants etc. ? Or will it pass through with a couple of busy days and then be gone? Whilst it might be quite jolly to witness the excitement, it's certainly not meant to be a main theme of the week. We really want to be walking, and downhill mountain biking, and canoeing and eating etc. Should I go elsewhere?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go up to Avoriaz and to your own PdS tour. You will not be in Morzine till the evening!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, I was there for the infamous 2006 tour, stayed at The Farmhouse, wonderful place. Village started to get busy early afternoon the day before but hardly heaving. Its mostly the Tour organisation that are in town then. Morning of the depart is busy but clears once the riders leave. Pretty slick operation they arrive and they are gone in no time, I wouldn't worry too much but worth booking a restaurant the night of their arrival.

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NicP,
Very helpful, thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is probably more disruptive if you are close to a finishing point or on the route. In Monetier-les-Bains, we were closed for most of the day 3 years in a row. You couldn't get in or out of the village. However, we had no problems with restaurants. Have had a break for a couple of years, but no doubt the caravan and the peleton will be back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
noggy, I was in verbier last year for the tdf. There was a fantastic party atmosphere the day before and on the day, it was great to be there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds good fun then. I'll book my ferry tickets tonight. Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there might be a little more disruption than usual as isn't there a "rest day" in Morzine?

There's a stage finish in Avoriaz on the Sunday and then the Start from Morzine is on the Tuesday so on Monday I suspect you'll have the whole caravan, teams, supporters, followers etc etc etc mooching around Morzine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
noggy, Let me come and stay!!! Pleeeasseee.... Very Happy

You can find out the times when roads will be closed on the TdF site here. http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/COURSE/us/800/etape_par_etape.html Thats the 11th Stage to Morzine. The 12th is the rest day, and they start from there the 13th.

I would expect there will be a 'buzz' a day or so before, then the entourage will arrive and set up all the gubbins the night before the arrival of the stage. If they are there overnight then I'd make it an eating in night in your apt. The depart would be of interest as you get to see all the riders sign on and mill around them.

In all honesty, I would give my eye teeth to hang around this for 3 days, but I am sadly obsessed with cycling. However, if you are on foot/bike and get onto trails you will be away from it PDQ. They do close the roads several hours before the arrival of the caravan, let alone the peloton, particularly if there is only one way in and out e.g. Alpe D'Huez gets shut days before...

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
noggy, I agree with NicP - in 2006 it was busy for around 24 hours and then back to normal.

It was pleasantly busy, rather than heaving. But booking restaurants is essential.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in one of our places in Bourg Saint Maurice last July when the Tour finished and then started the next day, and can echo the comments of others who have posted

its a great party atmosphere, but moving about and using restos and other services can be a bit blocked up, whilst the tour is in town

our neighbours recommended us to stock up a few days before at the Super U and eat at home and to walk about rather than use the car, (they suggested bikes coudl be nicked so we heeded the advice)

town was a bit deflated after the Tour left but the big screens were up to see the next days finish elsewhere
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Now, next question! We're booked on Eurotunnel arriving at Calais at c. 9.30pm. I reckon I can get 2 hours driving in before stopping for the night. Any sugestions as to somewhere clean and simple to stay 2 hours out?
Thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could try something around Reims
may be a bit longer than 2 hours about another 30 mins, but there are a couple of Campanile or Formule 1 places around Reims that should suffice, near the motorway and be ok with late arrival if you pre book with a credit card.

The formule 1's and Campaniles usually are near hypermarkets too so may be worth filling up when you arrive as the pumps are usually busy in the morning when everyone else is filling up

normally I dump the wife and kids to get in and find rooms while i go to fuel up ready for the morning, then they let me in the front door
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy