Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Needed Mayr, Kitz, St Anton, Sauz Choice of resort for Stag do with intermediate and non skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Not sure if there has been loads of posts on here about this but i was wondering if anyone could help me.

Want to go away for my stag (Ideally a Wed/Thurs to Sunday) 8 people. 6 skiers 2 non skiers.

We are all at intermediate levels, so off piste, heli skiing, boarding etc is not a dealbreaker.

What is
We want somewhere that has

a good nightlife,
cheap enough for food and drink, (not into paying EUR 10 for a pint of beer posing in my ray bans if you know what i mean)
Also the non skiers dont want to be hammering there credit cards in a bar in town all day, as they are making the effort to come out
decent mid range accomodation, as it will only be a place to sleep in.
up to 2 hrs max transfer from airport (if 8 i assume we could probably arrange a direct transfer which will be quicker as only there for w/end)

Any help, suggestions, tips would be much apreciated.
We can go anytime from January onwards, for 3 nights long weekend, we will go off peak as no point going peak when we dont have too.
Is it possible to get accomodation for 3 nights off peak?

anyone know of any good accomodation, or chalets, catered or not that would take a group 3 - 4 nights off peak?

Mayrhoffen interests me for the Apres / Ski balance, and cost.
Any help in much appreciated, want to pounce on flights as soon as they come out.

Thanks all Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
riaanevans, In my opinion you can't beat flight to Munich and head for Kitzbuhel. Good thing about Munich is the sheer number of flights and the late ones back leave after 9pm... that means you can ski all the day and still make the flight. I've done loads of 3-4 nighters there and accommodation not a problem off peak. Normally though I go Sunday and come back weds/thurs - that way the hotel isn't losing a week-end and they are more friendly towards doing a deal.

With 8 of you a return minibus transfer will cost around 5-600 notes I reckon. Try Andis Taxi in Kitzbuhel (you'll find number on the web).

Lots of hotels on the Kitzbuhel website - just bang out loads of emails with exact details (apart from the word "stag"!) and you'll get offers. Try picking one near the Hahnemkann gondola if you can.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riaanevans, You will struggle to get somewhere in St Anton this far in advance that would take a long weekend booking. There should be plenty to keep the non skiers interested - inside climbing wall if that's their thing, indoor tennis and cracking swimming/spa complex. The apres is the best I've experienced and have been going on a boys trip there since 2003. All of that said however I'm not 100% convinced that it is a great place for a stag. Around 70% of the clientele are blokes. Beer at the places you want to be drinking at are €5 a pint (dear for Austria - pardon the dear/stag pun Embarassed )
If jumping about to cheesy Germanic pop music and a lot of venues with live music tickles your fancy, then St Anton is a great place. Only an hour from Innsbruck and you can get train right into centre.

How about trying to catch the Hannenkahm weekend at Kitzbuhel if you're going in Jan?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach would suit you. Lots of lively, beery, jaegery apres, lots of fun piste cruising, go-kart/ice go-kart things for activities with the non skiers, tobogganing schizzle too. Fly to Salzburg.

Also look into Ischgl. Defo one of the best resorts for 'proper' nightlife, it has a Pacha club and plenty of strip clubs. Pretty expensive though, and I don't know anything about non-skiing activities there (apart from drinking). Fly to Innsbruck or Munich.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen would be a good choice too. Beer at abot 3.2 Euro, great apres. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem. Put a request in through http://www.mayrhofen.at/search-booking/accommodation-search.html?L=1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stag Night?

Try Andorra or Bulgaria?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog wrote:
Mayrhofen would be a good choice too. Beer at abot 3.2 Euro, great apres. Accommodation shouldn't be a problem. Put a request in through http://www.mayrhofen.at/search-booking/accommodation-search.html?L=1

I've used their enquiry function before - http://www.mayrhofen.at/search-booking/accommodation-enquiry.html?L=1 - for an irregular length stay and a number of places got back to me very quickly with availability. The same system should be available on any Austrian resort site that outsources to feratel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
riaanevans, In my opinion you can't beat flight to Munich and head for Kitzbuhel. Good thing about Munich is the sheer number of flights and the late ones back leave after 9pm... that means you can ski all the day and still make the flight. I've done loads of 3-4 nighters there and accommodation not a problem off peak. Normally though I go Sunday and come back weds/thurs - that way the hotel isn't losing a week-end and they are more friendly towards doing a deal.

With 8 of you a return minibus transfer will cost around 5-600 notes I reckon.

Lots of hotels on the Kitzbuhel website - just bang out loads of emails with exact details (apart from the word "stag"!) and you'll get offers. Try picking one near the Hahnemkann gondola if you can.

I'd agree with that. We went to Kitz last week in January. From wednesday night till Sunday, the week after the Hannenkham and before the start of school holidays.
I flew to Munich with EZY. (£105 incl 1 suitcase and 1 snowboard), early evening on the Wednesday, flying back on the Sunday 9.20pm, so 4 full days on the slopes.
I was lucky enough to have a mate living in Munich who drove me there. Took 90min from Munich to Kitz without rushing (but clear roads).The rest of the group was flying from Manchester earlier on (Lufthansa, £99 pp incl ski carriage) and paid for a mini-bus tranfer. I think it worked out something like £80pp)
Accomodation was reasonable (about £210 IIRC for B&B in a very good location for Gondolas and nights out- Pension Johana).

A couple of points though:
- Night life was as good as non-existant on the wednesday and thursday nights. But did pick up very nicely on the friday and saturday..
- As mentionned above we skied all day Sunday. We left the resort at 5pm, along with half of Germany it seems.. the 90min trip took closer to 4 hours this time due to heavy traffic (you end joining travellers from the skiwelt and other areas etc..). I barely made my flight and my mate said it was teh same ebveryweek-end pretty much, so worth bearing in mind and maybe leave 1horu earlier to try and sneak in front of the traffic..

Another suggestion would Ischgl, from Geneva...But not quite as convenient and more expensive. Great resort though..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most mentioned above will be good I think. Mayrhofen, Saalbach - both cheaper and St Anton or Ischgl - more expensive.
Saalbach had better women/men ratio - from what I remember - than St Anton.
Never been to Ischgl/Mayrhofen but did lots of research and definitely try at least one next winter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've done boys' trips to St ANton, Sauze and Mayhofen, we're back in the Hoff on 26 Jan 2011. We enjoyed St ANton, but found prices were steep, especially restaurants. Overall we preferred Mayrhofen for itsa apres and pricing. No shortage of skiing either.

One possibility if you are a big enough group is to stay a couple of nights in the Schneekar Hutte (sp. probably) at 2000m, great atmosphere, good food, very tolerant hosts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd definitely say Mayrhofen for this one. Austria's not too long of a flight either, but it is pretty well known for having a 'lively' nightlife.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy