Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes, Spring & Summer 2010

Poster: A snowHead
It's been snowing recently, and today's webcam from the Vallée Blanche clearly shows plenty of snow at Cretes level on the Jandri side. Very Happy I know it's miserable when you're there, after a hard winter and you're looking for some warmth and sun, but it's great for the start of the summer season in June. If it continues cool and wet, we could have the best start to the season for ages. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I couldn't seem to post this with the text!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
It's been snowing recently, it's great for the start of the summer season in June. Very Happy

Only next month! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at the webcam from the Vallée Blanche today it's clear that there's loads of snow on the Cretes and above + the Valentin is still complete. If this continues could it be possible to ski to the bottom at the start of the summer season?? Unlikely, but I've never been able to ski to the Cretes in June either ..... another adventure on the drawing board - who will partake??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be quite pleased if it would stop raining, frankly. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-05-10 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I'd love to... sitting here dreaming of L2A summer skiing... would beat Melbourne winter weather!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, isn't Coff's Harbour about 1000km from Melbourne Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooh! the pix I posted from the webcams have vanished! I wonder what happened to them?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coff's Harbour has a Big Banana!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, I can sympathise (well not much since you're there and I'm stuck here), but let's just try to get more peeps out for summer skiing, and the rain/snow will have been worth it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boardiac, much more than that I'd say... about 600 to Canberra... that is much less than half way(in driving time anyway)...

Left Coffs when I got very sick... have not changed this profile I guess
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
O'd be quite pleased if it would stop raining, frankly. Evil or Very Mad
who is "O"? NehNeh NehNeh wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, I think she's a 'Misplaced Person' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
pix back Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The webcams are showing more rain and low cloud, so there's no view across to the Jandri side from the Pied Moutet. The telemetary shows -1.75 degs at the Fee though, so it's bound to be snowing up there. Very Happy
snow conditions
We have some sunshine today!!!! I can confirm that it was snowing in resort on Saturday evening, I was sitting in the Board Room enjoying a demi peche and watching the snowflakes!
There was a noticeable dusting of snow below Cretes, it looked (and felt) more like autumn this weekend, I've been away for a week but have been informed that the weather has been grey and miserable with a bit of snow thrown in for the past two weeks. The Valentin does still look skiable, I'm looking forward to seeing how far down it will be possible to ski too!!!
ski holidays
jezzy, Glad you're back to give us some on the ground info! webcams can only go so far, and when 3/4 are not working ......... Sounds excellent, I can't wait to get home - neither can Ioda who's been beaten up by other cats here and is deffo nervous to go out. Sad He's going, but it's quite funny watching him check out whether it's safe or not! Laughing I've just watched him think better of taking on a magpie who was shouting at him! hilarious! Laughing
snow conditions
easiski, we once found a dead magpie on our bathmat after one of our moggies took it on !! Think it might have been a dual-pronged attack, as our two are brother and sister so are used to hunting together.
ski holidays
Aww poor Ioda!
snow report
Hells Bells, They're pretty big birds for 1 medium cat to take on, I watched a stand off between a squirrel and a magpie once - the magpie won the nut! No idea what today's like in LDA as I'm just back from collecting the van in Hereford. Lovely drive from Newport to Hereford. Very Happy Lovely weather both ways. Very Happy
snow conditions
ere you go:

latest report
davidof, thanks - doesn't that look great! Here's today's shot from www.Oisans.com
snow conditions
Looking as if it will be open from 2600m according to this: http://www.actumontagne.com/newsletter-article_1012.html
latest report
Quote:

I watched a stand off between a squirrel and a magpie once - the magpie won the nut!

easiski, a squirrel is not exactly ferocious...
ski holidays
Lizzard, It will be good skiing to 2,600m whether it's officially open or not, but if they opened the Lac Noir lift it would be special. I'm not holding my breath though.

boardiac, You don't think so??
snow report
easiski, How is your Dad now?
snow report
Butterfly, Don't ask! HAPPY BIRTHDAY
snow conditions
Butterfly, Happy Birthday for the 22nd!

easiski, We have just organised a 'food parcel' for Dad to deliver to the old guy behind us. His wife has had dementia and went into a home just recently as he could no longer cope. We got a phone call last week from the gardener to say she had died. His kids are taking it in turns to visit daily and walk the dog - who had a weight explosion because she forgot she fed him and fed him over and over ever day. He likes to talk to Dad so Mum and I have packed up chicken and vegie soup, lamb shank soup, and some fruit mince and almond scrolls for him. It is sad - and 3 of his neighbours are the same!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, Oh that's sad. At least the poor old guy is getting some support though.

Back off home TODAY! HOORAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! of course I won't be there until late-ish on Weds, but at least it's a start. Very Happy Very Happy

Here's today's photo of the glacier from www.Oisans.com Wow! Look at the top of Chalance in the foreground too. Shocked I'll have to try to get up the Demoiselles to the snowline to see what's what - pity Betty's back inthe UK. Smile Maybe I can get a lift.
ski holidays
easiski, Have a safe journey home. Betty will be back soon!!!
latest report
Don't forget to keep us updated, we may make it over from Serre Che for a slide this summer.
snow conditions
I went up the col de Sarenne on Sunday afternoon (there was still a big patch of snow at the top) and the glacier over here looked good! The Valentin is melting a bit (I still think it would be possible to ski ti though) the Super D still looks like it is fully covered. Lovely and sunny again today but the weather forecast for the next few days is looking a bit grim, possible storms tomorrow.
easiski, Have a safe drive back.
ski holidays
little tiger, easiski, thanks for the birthday wishes Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing that easiski & Ioda are safely back home - vole population stand by!

The good news is I have submitted my claim for Eurotunnel vouchers from Tesco Clubcard & paid Fran fully for the apartment - so all systems go for the summer hol! We were planning to stay in the apartment Sun-Sun & meet up with Fran on Sun 4th then spend from Mon 5th to Friday 9th somewhere else in France, travelling home Sat/Sun. Unfortunately there is a big PITA in that I now have to work on Fri 9/7. However we can both def have holiday on Fri 25th June, so we can travel out a day earlier than planned to compensate.

The plan now is to leave here either after work on Thu 24th or more likely very early Fri (to save on a night's hotel cost) and arrive in LDA Saturday 26th, leaving again on Sat 3rd. We're bringing the tent rather than paying out for hotels and will seek out a nice campsite somewhere partway back to Calais for Sun-Wednesday and get the tunnel back over on Thursday. We did consider the boat from Hull (20 mins from here) to Zeebrugge until we found it's well over £400 return Shocked.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Cool - I'm looking forward to seeing you both.

We got home about 21.00 last night after a difficult journey which included a recalcitrant starter motor requiring assistance and making us miss the 20.00 ferry. therefore 22.00 ferry and arrived in Dunkerque 01.00 French time. Sad Full trip report will be on my blog later, but right now I'm going to get brekkie and go back to bed!!! Little Angel
latest report
easiski, woooaaah.... hope you got some sleep before the rest of the drive home! How does Ioda travel these days?
Glad you are both safely back

Butterfly, sounds good - I'm jealous... I may just have to settle for a month in Magnetic Island and a couple of months in Colorado Toofy Grin Oh well no snow but at least nice locations
snow report
little tiger, yeah, apart from driving rain and high winds yesterday's weather was OK and the roads were quiet. It was Tuesday that was a problem. However I was afraid to turn the van off in case it wouldn't start again, and doing that involved one person turning the ignition key while another lay underneath it and tapped the starter motor. Guess who would be underneath it??

Ioda seems to travel OK these days, tied up in the back and able to move, but he doesn't like using his tray, and if he's desparate to go to the loo he wriggles out of his harness and meows endlessly. Twisted Evil He's getting much better about going for walks though, but you know how fussy cats are about their toilet arrangements - takes ages. rolling eyes So far today he seems to have caught 4 voles, so they know he's home! He's also spent a lot of time contentedly lying around on my bed. I have to say that I haven't got up at all either!

What I saw on my way up the mountain was that Chalence still looks skiable, Fee looks OK to the path, and the Valentin, although broken in a couple of places is still plainly skiable for the most part. WOW! In fact there is just as much snow on Valentin as when I took SSH down it a couple of years back at the end of the EOSB.

It's been a nice day although not hot, but sunny and pleasant. I'll go out tomorrow. Shocked
ski holidays
After 3 nice days when I first got back yesterday was fairly miserable. Raining in the morning although it cheered up a bit later. However although it was pouring first thing today, the sun came out and it's been really nice. I forgot to take my camera when I went out, but it's clear that it snowed some way below 3,000m. Very Happy The tops of the mountains are all really white, although the snow down here has pretty much disappeared. The super Diable still looks good. Question? Have I got the time and the energy to walk up to the Cretes?? Not sure about that, I'll think about it. I may ask the DAL if I can go up with the workers one morning just to do a report - especially as the webcams aren't working.
latest report
Pleasant day, sunny intervals, chilly-ish though, even in the sun. Great news for the snow. Only 2 weeks till opening! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski, Very Happy

Sounds like you are going to havea great start to summer skiing
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Question? Have I got the time and the energy to walk up to the Cretes?? Not sure about that, I'll think about it. I may ask the DAL if I can go up with the workers one morning just to do a report - especially as the webcams aren't working.

Did you manage to get up there? Is it possible to drive up Desmoiselles in summer?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy