Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Q (ski shop error)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Shoguns last week (from Rivington Alpine), and they've turned up today with the wrong bindings on them... full story below, but in short should I be annoyed that I've got Mojo 12s instead of STH 12s?

When I rang up to place the order they initially offered me Head Mojo 12 bindings, which caught me by surprise because they weren't mentioned on the website. I'd been planning on asking them to mount Salomon STH 12s, and because I didn't really know anything about the Mojos I decided to go with the STH 12s. A price was agreed (decent value, but didn't feel like I was getting a mega-bargain), and the lady I was talking to took my mobile no. and agreed let me know once they had a courier reference.

So the skis turned up today (never got a call with the courier number)...and they're mounted with Mojo 12s. Otherwise absolutely fine.

I know bindings are all pretty good quality, and I'm not worried about skiing on the Mojos...but I can't shake the feeling that the STH 12s are better quality. Also, from what I can tell the STH 12s are also more expensive (difficult to find UK prices, but US stores seem to sell the STHs for twice the price).

I should add that I think Rivington are moving premises at the moment, and combined with the good feedback they've had on here I'm willing to assume this is a genuine mistake.

I'm going to try to give them a call tomorrow (they weren't answering the phone today), but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the relative quality of the bindings?

All thoughts appreciated snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty sure STH12s are rebranded Z12s, which were a binding best avoided unless your alternative was Marker bio-toes. Head Mojo 12s are tyrolia based, right? I'd take them in a heartbeat over Z12s, anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChrisWo, bindings are bindings. Do they match the graphics?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
give me the mojos over the salomons any day of the week

personally i think the tyrolia binding is one of the safest out there
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, that was the first thing I thought about (obviously)...they're not too bad, and neither really matches the Shogun's green and bamboo theme (how long till someone brings out a bamboo binding?!).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anything Salomon is defo a bad move (check out tgr for their latest clusterfuck over touring boots) take the Tyrolias.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChrisWo, can't, using bamboo harms panda bears Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies, everyone...sounds like I've ended up with the better bindings (also shows how much I know about bindings wink )

the_doc, I've read those threads...pretty horiffic stuff. Not sure I'm willing to automatically rule out all Salomon products though - my last boots were XWave 9s and served me fairly well.

kiwi1, unless you develop panda-friendly boots? I reckon a giant panda riding some Preachers would be much better at finding juicy leaves during the winter months Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The STH12's have a toe piece that's a bit more beefed up compared to the Z12's but they're still have that POS three screw of the Z12. Still very plasticy though with non too durable brake levers. I'd take the higher metal content & stiffer Mojo's every time. You definately got the better deal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo, The Redeemer Graphics would be a much better match for a Panda Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Salomon STH12 is a Reinforced version of there Z12 (Same DIN range).. It was originally specified for their freestyle guys as a hardy alternative.. much like "spyderjon" says they are simply 'beefed up'.

There is nothing wrong with either binding.. and to a certain extent.. as long as the binding had been drilled well (with no air bubbles) and your DIN setting is within its range.. their isnt really any issue?

Will you be skiing the Shogun very aggressive on piste? not forgetting ofcourse the Shogun is around 100mm underfoot so not quite as aggressive a piste/slalom ski i presume?

The Mojo's will be fine Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy_snow_web, a three screw toe piece with loads of lateral flex ok for freestyle, I think not. I've seen half a dozen busted Z10/12/STH12 toe pieces in the last year & all were lateral torque breakages even though none had pulled-out & they were used well within their din range. For anyone in the 'aggressive use' category these bindings are not good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, the salesman vs ski tech opinions. Always reassuring Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, ok...you can stop now - I actually have another pair of skis with STH 12s on already (didn't have much choice when I bought them). I'm beginning to worry that next time I'm nailing a massive cliff drop...oh no, wait a minute, I'm more likely to be meadow skipping wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy