Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Q:When Does a 32kg Luggage Allowance Mean Only 12kg? A:When It's With Easyjet

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, good point
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jeez, three pages. People, this is not hard! rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, Yes there are 2 of us travelling.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My understanding in the past is that sporting equipment is intended to be that alone, 12kg seems reasonable for a pair of skis + bag

Righto then....how about my mountain bike 'alone' - 20kg in its nice padded bag??

Surely sports kit like that is the perfect illustration that it is nonsense to restrict sporting gear to 12kg? I reiterate, IMO it is ridiculous to interpret the wording in such a way that a normal bag at £10 each way can weigh 20kg but sports kit costing £18.50 can weigh only 12kg rolling eyes

Anyway, rayscoops page 1 posting - with the answer direct from easyjet - is definitive enough for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon,
Quote:

Jeez, three pages. People, this is not hard!

It is when there are two interpretations and schools of thought re. the easyjet wording! Now imagine the scene at the easyjet desk last weekend at Luton!

I have still had no response from my e mail to customer services (longer than normal response times due to volcanic ash) but will post on here when I do. I asume it will endorse the response from easyjet that was posted earlier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, got to say, I've never had an issue with weight or equipment. I will fly BA/Swiss where ever possible to reduce the risk of all that has been discussed here, but even with chartered TO flights I've still not had a problem, and I don't exactly travel light.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't e-mail Easyjet - it takes forever now. I am still waiting for a response from an e-mail I sent in March for an April trip that is now over obviously. Somewhere on their website is a chat function - can't remember where offhand - they never make these things easy, but after clicking on it I have never waited more than 5 mins for a 'customer experience champion' to appear. Based on the huge amout of confusion on previous threads, I had asked them twice with two different 'champions' just to be clear - the responses that I got each time was that I could stuff my ski bag up to 32kgs if I did not have a hold bag (but obviously have paid for a hold bag).

I did ask one of them for a confirmation of our 'chat' which they said they would supply, but of course it never arrived. I therefore printed out both 'chats' to show at check-in and at ski drop in case of issues. This was for Bristol and as it turned out, we did not need to fill our ski bags more than 12kgs so the theory was not tested! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the responses that I got each time was that I could stuff my ski bag up to 32kgs if I did not have a hold bag (but obviously have paid for a hold bag).

....Which completely contradicts the response that easyjet sent to easyski on page 1 ie:

Q: If I have paid only for ski carriage ( £18.50) and have only a ski bag going into the hold, my ski bag can weigh up to 32kg ( 20kg hold allowance + 12kg extra for sports eqpt) - is that correct ? cheers
A: I am happy to confirm that you are absolutely right about the baggage allowance for your booking. I can confirm that you have an allowance of 32kg for your booking.

I am still waiting for a response to my e mail to easyjet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BA don't fly to anywhere outwith the UK except from London, not much use to most of us who want a direct flight to somewhere snowy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, an excerpt from one of my discussions with Easyjet:

[Varun] Is there any thing else I may assist you with?
[T] thanks - we also have 2 ski bags booked - I assume that each ski bag can only weigh 12kg (32 - 20kg). However, if the 4th person does not carry a hold bag, but just uses their ski bag allowance, can that one ski bag weight up to 32kgs without any other charge, so I assume 20 + 20 + 20 and for the ski-bags 12 + 32 and there will be no excess charges with that total amount for our family of 4?
[Varun] Correct.

That seems pretty clear to me.

Try the 'chat' function on the website - otherwise post a query direct with the staff on their own discussion forum - you will get a faster response:

http://getsatisfaction.com/easyjet/questions/popular
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ghost Dog, yet another reason to live somewhere civilized....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog wrote:
BA don't fly to anywhere outwith the UK except from London, not much use to most of us who want a direct flight to somewhere snowy.

That is a slight exaggeration.

But only slight. They do have routes from Manchester & Birmingham to several German airports (Frankfurt being the best for skiing), Milan, and Paris.

But they really are very little use to most of us unless we are willing to travel to London before leaving.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, like England, not London.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I drive, so don't pay any extra baggage charges and can take as much as I like

Is the above a real comment, or taken from Viz Comic letters page? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
b. Although sporting equipment costs almost twice as much to check in as a normal bag (£37 vs £20) it can only weigh just under half as much (12kg vs 20kg).

Not any more, looking at a gatwick flight to Innsbruck and hold luggage is £36 now Shocked
snow conditions
alex_heney, do they let people from Merthyr out of the country these days?
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
b. Although sporting equipment costs almost twice as much to check in as a normal bag (£37 vs £20) it can only weigh just under half as much (12kg vs 20kg).

Not any more, looking at a gatwick flight to Innsbruck and hold luggage is £36 now Shocked

That is the walk up rate. The on line rate is £18 return.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, so it is, a bit misleading because it said £18 per bag which I assumed was for each flight (did not book it wink ) the same as the ski carraige at £18.50 per item which is per flight
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, The majority of the UK population is in the south east....

Not so, according to the 2001 census.

2001 census figures:

London: 7,172,036
South East: 8,000,550

UK population: 58,789,194

they mean the ones with jobs. Shocked wink
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, ROFLMAO Laughing

tw@t wink
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

achilles wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, The majority of the UK population is in the south east....

Not so, according to the 2001 census.

2001 census figures:

London: 7,172,036
South East: 8,000,550

UK population: 58,789,194

they mean the ones with jobs.

Does volunteering count as a job these days then Shocked
latest report
Response just in from easyjet Customer Experience Champion. See below. It tallies exactly with the earlier advice from easyski - so that's what I call a result.

Naturally I am delighted and cannot wait to produce a copy of the e mail to the jobsworth check in bag drop staff the next time that I fly with a ski bag (or mountain bike) from Luton:

Response reads as follows:

Thank you for contacting us.
I would like to confirm that if you paid for sports equipment only (no hold bag fee) you still have 32 kg of baggage allowance. You can take sports equipment item which weighs 32 kg maximum but you cannot take any hold bag apart from it. The weight of 1 sports item cannot exceed 32 kg.
Please remember that you can take more than 1 sports equipment item but total weight of all the hold bags and all the sports items a passenger is taking cannot exceed 50 kg.
I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully, if I have not, please click here and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely

Patrycja Jakubiak
Customer Experience Champion
snow conditions
I know it's been said before, but you have to question any company that thinks it is a good idea to give any member of staff the job title "Customer Experience Champion" rolling eyes Why would you then expect them to have clearly written T&C Puzzled
ski holidays
mountainaddict, wink
snow report
mountainaddict, I shall print that out too and then if necessary, produce whatever answer that suits my purpose at the time..! Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

I shall print that out too

I hope that everyone does - glad to be of assistance wink.
snow conditions
the next issue ..... two people can book together and pay for only one checked in bag and will be given an allowance of 40 kg, if they check in the one bag with 32 kg (H&S weight) they will not be charged an excess, or 3 people with 60 kg can check in 2 bags - 30 kg each and still be ok !!
ski holidays
rayscoops,

Unfortunately I think you'd be stung with excess baggage charges if you check in more than 20kg after paying for only 1 (non sports equipment) bag. The Easyjet website says the following:-

Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.

The maximum acceptable weight for each single piece of checked-in hold baggage is 32kg. Baggage which exceeds this weight will not be accepted for carriage.

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs, as follows:

Currency Excess Baggage per kg
GBP 10.00
EUR 12.00
CHF 20.00
DKK 88.00
CZK 320.00
HUF 3200.00
PLN 48.00
SKK 440.00
MAD 140.00

Given the above, I think they'd nobble you under the "Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight, each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg..." rule.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister, you wouldn't be charged excess. I booked for EOSB for two of us, and the baggage allowance for one checked hold bag was 32kg. It actually says that on the EJ website when you start adding luggage.
snow report
Quote:

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight, each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg

I'm really confused again now!

So the above statement from the Terms and Conditions doesn't apply - even when it says so in black and white? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

I'm definitely confused.com......
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight, each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg

I'm really confused again now!

So the above statement from the Terms and Conditions doesn't apply - even when it says so in black and white? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

I'm definitely confused.com......

Of course it applies, but you are reading it wrongly.

It is 20Kg per person

It is where the checked in baggage exceeds an aggregate of 20Kg multiplied by the number of people travelling together.

If you have two people travelling together, you will only be charged excess if the total weight is more than 2*20 = 40Kg (although since you cannot have any one bag weighing more than 32Kg, that couldn't actually happen).

If you have three people travelling together, you have an aggregate total of 3*20 = 60Kg. If you have paid for two bags, then you could take two at 30Kg each between you. Two 32Kg bags would incur an excess baggage charge for 4Kg.

Incidentally, the Ryanair t&C are very different, because they do not allow aggregation of allowances between a group.
snow conditions
I love Easyjet luggage threads Very Happy the above rule helps the argument that the 20kg allowance is with the flight and that the extra charges are how you decide to take up the 20 kg allowance
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy