Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This years injury list

Poster: A snowHead
We were lucky enough to get 2 trips away this year, neither without injury.
Christmas we did a week at Les Deux Alpes, I bent my thumb back in deep snow , and the wife was taken out by one over enthusiastic member of our ski class, she was bruised and battered, he had a suspected broken leg, never saw him afterwards to confirm.
Then we did Selva February half term, and she fell in bad visibilty on a mougle, broke her pelvis, and ended up in Bolzano General for 6 days, which was an excellent hospital apart from there not being a lot of English speakers, and then she was flown home laid down in a private jet. The insurance company, Europ Assist, were brilliant and processed our claim quickly and with little fuss.
She started work 6 weeks after her fall, and wants to go to the local ski centre next week, which I'm pleased about.
Just wondered what the roll call for the injured and infirmed was for this year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr L: one metacarpal in January, one astragal (bit of the ankle) still in a Frankenfoot immobilising boot.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 4-05-10 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One rib, not stopped me doing anything though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Popped a rib, over stretched a calf and face-plan resulting in claret on the snow. Was quite proud of the last one, truth be told.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One dislocated thumb, popped it back into the socket myself, took two VERY LARGE painkillers and then went on to ski 50 km that day. Gnarly dude or what?! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Broken rib and torn shoulder muscles in January. Bit painful the following week when I was teaching in Austria, but manageable with the consumption of many diplofenac (sp?) tablets.

My pride is very bruised, maybe broken, after this morning's skiing which was the worst I've done in months. It will need beer this evening to fix it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Broke my helmet and some ski bindings this year but not me for a change Very Happy

rob@rar, beer up and then man up for tomorrow Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, beer up and then man up for tomorrow Toofy Grin

Took the morning to adjust to skiing on GS skis after having been on slalom skis last week. By coffee break I was ready to retire, but it got better after that with some careful coaching from Phil.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done something to wrist after pole planting into a mogul in a blizzard. Not sure exactly what happened but it sort of flopped... Now I randomly seem to get recurring weakness/pain in it every so often for a few days... maybe I should get that checked out lol
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dislocated shoulder & fractured arm Sad

Recovering slowly. My doctor has prescribed lots of drinks/TV Very Happy and definatly no house work or gardening wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Embarassingly my only injury of this season occurred in a car park in Sussex Embarassed .....shoulder is somewhat mangled but endlessly repetetive exercises from the physio are starting to do the trick. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whiplash resulting from my head hitting ice at high speed after some airborn action. It was the only visible patch of ice on the whole run rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bruised bone just above right knee, with the ligaments that caused it being pretty strained too.

Still having physio, and that hurts like owt Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few bruises and a sore ankle, have been lucky with skiing so far, touch wood.

Hope everyone's injuries get better soon
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cracked rib in Val D'Isere at New Year - the doc said it would take six weeks to heal, and what d'ya know - it took six weeks Smile
ski holidays
sarep, cracked ribs are evil, i've done that a load of times playing ice hockey, usually only to realise when I couldn't sit up in the morning. Painful.
ski holidays
Landed on a rock just below powder early season got a bit of a dead leg.

2 days rest then physio said go and ski with it. Wore impact shorts for a few weeks untill the memory faded then relagated them to the wardrobe.

A pretty gay injury, but definitely the one that affected my skiing most, were heel blisters which got infected. A week off, some boot tweaking and enough Compede to own shares in the company helped a lot.
ski holidays
Lots of ribs done this season is the general prognosis 6 weeks? Did mine 3 weeks ago and it still hurts although mainly in the mornings then gets better as the day goes on. Still haven't bothered with seeing a quack.
snow report
Swirly, whenever I've done them in, i've given it a few weeks after diagnosis and then take a load of ibuprofen/painkillers for when sport needed to be done. Probably not what to do though, but i dont think they can really do much for it (although by no means medically trained / have any idea - disclaimer).
snow report
Batman123, that's my understanding of it and the treatment is the same (i.e. rest) if it's bruised or broken. Painkillers and ibuprofen did nothing for me so I gave up taking them after a couple of days.
snow conditions
Swirly, no point going to get it looked at you just need to sit it out, self medicate and try not to crack any more while under the influence.
Avoid TV shows like Fr Ted and little Britain

Disclaimer: I havent a clue about anything
latest report
Since I gave up skiing blue runs nothing at all has happened to me! Last year broke my left shoulder in Serfaus, in 2005 dislocated my right shoulder in Kleinwalsertal, in 2000 broke my left shoulder blade (needed pins and wires n'stuff, some of which are still there). All of these accidents happened on BLUE runs. I need no further proof!
latest report
When I damaged a rib last year my GP prescribed coprodamol as my breathing was being affected and it could have resulted in a chest infection. And yes it took about 6 weeks to clear up.

Nothing other than minor injuries for my daughter or me this year thankfully.
snow report
No injuries to any of us in 6 years of skiing, now touching wood! Laughing
snow conditions
Torn rotator cuff -playing hockey Sad

2 broken ribs -playing drunken pub rugby Sad

2 stitches in hand - playing at work Sad

skied approx 110 days, not a scratch Very Happy the evidence is clear, next season already in the pipeline!! snowHead
snow report
Torn ligament on ring finger ("mallet finger") in Ischgl back in December.
Not really painful (only realised when taking gloves off at the start of the apres) but a real "pain" having to wear a splint for 6 weeks. Thankfully I was able to take it off a week before the 2nd trip.
ski holidays
A record 147 avalanche deaths occured in the alps this winter season, 37 of which were in Austria.

Edit - Link in English
http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2010-05-05/23063/Avalanches_claim_37_in_Austria

link in German
http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Rekordzahl-147-Lawinentote-in-den-Alpen-37-Tote-in-Oesterreich-0702840.ece

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 6-05-10 7:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
How many of the above injuries were caused by skiing drunk or recklessly, or by pushing beyond the limits of your own ability? And were you wearing a helmet ? Did the fact that you were wearing a helmet make you feel invincible ? Was the fact that you were wearing a helmet one of the reasons for skiing recklessly or beyond the limits of your own ability?

Or, given that you are all snowHead's, and don't do reckless things, was it all down to either 1. Snowboarders sitting in the middle of the piste, just over a blind crest, or 2. As a result of somebody else skiing drunk or recklessly, or beyond the limits of their own ability?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed to sprain my thumb ..... getting into the swimming pool. Other than that, another injury-free year.
snow conditions
different size Knees after/during my weeks skiing
but just down to old age i think
back to normal now, will remember tubiflex in 2012 and perhaps they won'y ache as much
latest report
The Voice of Reason, loving your work. My injuries have, so far, always been my own daft fault and when I was stone cold sober. I have had to do several emergency stops and one full-blooded bail out in order to avoid idiot boarders and skiers, whom I consider to be far more of a danger to my health and well-being than anything I do of my own accord.

Warming to the theme; In my experience the worse situation/combination by some distance is confident (cocky) early intermediates on slopes above their skill level, who do not posses the piste awareness to keep themselves out of danger or ability to get themselves out of the danger they put themselves in.
ski holidays
Quote:

How many of the above injuries were caused by skiing drunk or recklessly,

I have a pal who is a pilot, and he says the rule for them is '8 hours bottle to throttle', got to admit it got close a few times, but it does numb the pain when you do go ar*e over t**
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
How many of the above injuries were caused by skiing drunk or recklessly, or by pushing beyond the limits of your own ability?
And were you wearing a helmet ? Did the fact that you were wearing a helmet make you feel invincible ? Was the fact that you were wearing a helmet one of the reasons for skiing recklessly or beyond the limits of your own ability?

Or, given that you are all snowHead's, and don't do reckless things, was it all down to either 1. Snowboarders sitting in the middle of the piste, just over a blind crest, or 2. As a result of somebody else skiing drunk or recklessly, or beyond the limits of their own ability?

So, for a complete dataset:

I don't drink on ski trips (I know, I'm a freak of nature) apart from one occasion - this was not that occasion.
Wasn't skiing recklessly, I lost control on a patch of ice, went airborn and the first thing to hit the ice was the side of my head.
Wasn't wearing a helmet.
No other skiers or boarders were the cause of - or involved in - this incident.
snow report
Fortunately this season we have had nothing more than a few bruises and a sore thumb. I think we had enough last winter in one go to last for a while. Bruise on my leg from EOSB is the size of my hand though Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Fortunately this season we have had nothing more than a few bruises and a sore thumb. I think we had enough last winter in one go to last for a while. Bruise on my leg from EOSB is the size of my hand though Laughing

I can vouch for that - it is one wicked bruise!!!
latest report
Colin B wrote:
When I damaged a rib last year my GP prescribed coprodamol as my breathing was being affected and it could have resulted in a chest infection. And yes it took about 6 weeks to clear up.

That is exactly the advice (and prescription) I got. I'm quite susceptible to chest infections anyway, so not breathing deeply enough is a big risk factor for pneumonia. The codeine stops the pain so you breath normally and he also told me to intersperse them with regular nurofen as the anti-inflammatories would help the healing process.

Steilhang wrote:
Since I gave up skiing blue runs nothing at all has happened to me! Last year broke my left shoulder in Serfaus, in 2005 dislocated my right shoulder in Kleinwalsertal, in 2000 broke my left shoulder blade (needed pins and wires n'stuff, some of which are still there). All of these accidents happened on BLUE runs. I need no further proof!

Snap! I did my rib on a blue run too - Come to think of it, i've never had an injury on anything other than a blue run!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad nasty nasty blue run ice monsters!
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason, I wasn't drunk, it happened at midday so I'd only had 5 pints and a couple of jagerbombs.
snow report
Nothing major but perhaps the most consistently irritating (above ACLs and fractured Tib)- an infected blister on little toe that stubbornly refuses to heal. Doesn't affect actual skiing (though curtailed any snowboarding) but makes the first couple of minutes of putting boot on exquisite agony.
snow report
fatbob, is that what you had last year?! i suggest amputation!
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
fatbob, is that what you had last year?! i suggest amputation!

Yep recurrence with new boots which were perfect for 30 days then got a little movement with liner packing. Seriously considering the Colin Macrae option for the future (not the heli crash though).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy