Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick tips

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else got any general quick tips for skiing/snowboarding. I found these really useful:

1. Tree skiing - Dont look at the trees, look at the gaps.

2. Flat light/cloud - Keep moving your head around so that your eyes focus on different things. This will hopefully give you a couple of reference points so you dont do that stand still and fall over thing.

Might think of some more later.

(Things seem slow the last couple of days Puzzled )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2. (revised) Flat light/snowstorm - ski near the trees at the side of the run, they will give perspective, definition and shelter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Combine 1 and 2 - ski in the trees! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1 RESPECT FOR OTHERS - A skier must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others.

2 CONTROL OF SPEED AND SKIING - A skier must ski in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic.

3 CHOICE OF ROUTE - A skier coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers ahead.

4 OVERTAKING - A skier may overtake another skier above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.

5 ENTERING AND STARTING - A skier entering a marked run or starting after stopping must look up and down the run to make sure that he can do so without endangering himself or others.

6 STOPPING ON THE PISTE - Unless absolutely necessary, a skier must avoid stopping on the piste in narrow places or where visibility is restricted. After a fall in such a place, a skier must move clear of the piste as soon as possible.

7 CLIMBING AND DESCENDING ON FOOT - Whether climbing or descending on foot a skier must keep to the side of the piste.

8 RESPECT FOR SIGNS AND MARKINGS - A skier must respect all signs and markings.

9 ASSISTANCE - At accidents, every skier is duty bound to assist.

10 IDENTIFICATION - Every skier and witness, whether a responsible party or not, must exchange names and addresses following an accident
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dont eat the yellow snow wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always be last into the bar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing into the big chap with the bright red jacket is not a good way to stop, it is however a good way to ensure injury Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Relax
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Mark Lehto,
I knew there was one I'd forgotten

First rule of skiing:

Skiing is fun.

(I have been known to forget this on occasion wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The black and yellow tape stretched along the side of the piste is not the finish line.

It is usually better to be helicoptered up the mountain than down the mountain.

Always bring your mobile phone if you're planning to catch the last lift up. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
Skiing into the big chap with the bright red jacket is not a good way to stop, it is however a good way to ensure injury Laughing

Santa is a skier???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharp edges and confidence Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, I don't know about Santa though he probably is, I on the other hand am definately a skier wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When skiing on a steeper run, never stop on a flat bit to have a look.

When skiing in icy conditions, snow can often be found at the side of the piste.

In almost all conditions, it is generally easier to ski with some pace than at a slow speed.

When skiing off piste, a common fallacy is the perceived need to lean back.

If you're not falling, you're not pushing yourself hard enough.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avoid red runs back to the resort after 4 o'clock
ski holidays
johno wrote:
Avoid red runs back to the resort after 4 o'clock

Yeah, take the blacks, they are less crowded!
latest report
Apart from better snow in skiing at the sides of the piste it is also less crowded as the ski classes and beginners are always in the middle of the piste.

Do not get hung up on the colour of the piste - concentrate on your technique which will always be the same irrespective of the steepness of the piste.

If in a group try and follow the better skiers in the group and copy their technique.

Always swop one ski with someone else at lunch, coffee-breaks to ensure that your brand new pair of skis is not stolen.

Practice the basic skiing techniques on easy slopes ( lifting a ski, turns, down- unweighting, shifting balance from ski to ski without poles, etc .... ) before venturing off to slopes that are steeper.

Be more careful in flat light and ski more cautiously!.

Once in a while take a private lesson to bolster confidence or concentrate in eleminating some persistance error you are making.
snow report
Learn how to

ski on one ski!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 31-03-05 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Or, if you are tripedal, on 3 skis?
ski holidays
hibernia, I would disagree about flat light. I think that a common mistake that people make in flat light is that they ski too cautiously and so tire easily. This also causes them to tense up and ski badly. I would say that the secret of skiing in flat light is to concentrate on your stance, relax, and maintain an agressive line, soon this will increase your confidence, and improve your skiing no end.
latest report
You are never too old to learn, Take a lesson every trip Smile
snow conditions
hibernia wrote:
Be more careful in flat light and ski more cautiously!.

kramer wrote:

I would disagree about flat light. I think that a common mistake that people make in flat light is that they ski too cautiously and so tire easily. This also causes them to tense up and ski badly. I would say that the secret of skiing in flat light is to concentrate on your stance, relax, and maintain an agressive line, soon this will increase your confidence, and improve your skiing no end.

I'm with you Kramer. I've had some of my worst falls trying to ski cautiously in flat light because I have got so tense. Now I quite enjoy it - I find there is something almost zen like in not being able to see much but staying relaxed and trusting your body to react to the terrain appropriately. As a bonus, because I am relaxed when I fall over it doesn't hurt (as much). wink
But I don't ski as hard as I would do in good conditions.
latest report
Keep mobile phones, keys and anything metallic well away from the automatic reader type of lift pass.
snow report
kuwait_ian, So what do I do about my bionic left arm? Shocked
ski holidays
PG, short arm - - - deep pocket wink Become an honorary Scot. You're also going to have fun and games with airport metal detectors.
snow report
when wearing goggles, keep them on your face and don't keep pushing them up onto your hat or forehead - this will help prevent fogging

keep hydrated

plan early or late lunches so that you can exploit the quiet pistes during "normal" lunch times

don't be tempted to grab untouched powder in the afternoon if you were uncertain about it in the morning - it won't be any safer now, and just because you weren't avalanched on your morning powder runs it does not mean that you didn't come close.

no matter how good you think you are, take lessons to get you out of a rut, to stop bad habits and to provide new inspiration (I have only just been reminded how true this is)

avoid the raclette unless you want crazy dreams and a slightly queazy feeling the next day
ski holidays
Quote:
avoid the raclette unless you want crazy dreams and a slightly queazy feeling the next day

Try and avoid ordering the following: Goats cheese salad starter, followed by cheese fondue, followed by the cheese board.
ski holidays
Hmm, on the last night at Le Totem (Crystal chalethotel at Flaine) there was a special (ie no choice) 4 course dinner. French onion soup, with croutons covered in cheese. Goats cheese salad. Main course was chicken fillet, covered with ham, tomato and cheese - accompanied by sliced potatoes cooked in a cream and cheese sauce.

Even Wallace and Grommit couldn't have finished it.............
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, Mmmm, sounds good. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
skanky, got to be done at least once per holiday... though I tend to have tartiflette cos I am a wuss.
ski holidays
Mark Lehto, do it at the start of the holiday and you won't need to get any bog roll for your apartment.
latest report
maggi, See other thread on producing Chalet food can't help thinking these two topics relate to each other! wink
snow report
skanky, tis true - you tend to need a bit of room. One of those nice refuge toilets seated over a cliff does the trick.
snow conditions
As a newbie dull first post but hey ho.

If you're going off piste with ava transceivers, turn OFF mobile phones, they stop the transceivers working (turn them into expensive battery holders).

Skiing in fog/snow storm conditions, spread your poles much wider than usual and think of them as cats whiskers. Yes very tasty I'm told - It helps sense the changes in gradient you can't see before you're actually skiing on it.
snow conditions
snoflake, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
Know when to call it a day.

Good tips snoflake. Welcome!
snow conditions
Mark Lehto, and a sink plunger.
snow report
In lift queues go to the outside of the queue. Most people tend to go to the inside - shorter distance, so on the outside you'll get to the front quicker.
latest report
Breathe and smile.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy