Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what do you want to see in a TO website

Poster: A snowHead
OK then, summer is on the way, garden re-do is getting there (slowly), so I have decided to write a new website. Bear in mind that me and Mr HTML and Mrs ASP don't know each other that well and as for Miss MySQL, well we'll meet later I hope, so I'm not too good with this webernet stuff - but I'll have a go at anything. Can't be that hard - making a website, can it ?
Puzzled
Anyway - questions ?
What do you want to see on a TO's website
What is irritating
What should be definitely be there and what should be dumped
Do you want to see lots of expert, fit, blond haired guys and guyesses leaping in the air off perfect powder kickers or would you rather see "normal" people.
What about maps, charts, graphs, etc
What do you like about TO websites
What do you hate about TO websites
Do you prefer on-line or telephone booking
What should be on the home page
How many pages deep should it be
etc
etc

Don't want to waste time designing a wonderful page only to find out later that no-one ever visits it.
Just a quick point (before anyone says anything), it's a family site ?? so the content will have a U classification

So here is your chance to not only to have a say at the outset of the design process of a TO site- just think in a short while you'll be able to say "see that, that was my idea ya know"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I almost never go to a TO web site - I can't remember when I last booked through a TO. If I do again, I would want to see:

Clear evidence of ABTA bonding.
Clear description of transport arrangements.
Clear advice on reductions if own travel used - together with how to make the final transfers from airport/train station.
Clear advice on parking arrangements.
Clear map showing location of accommodation in relation to lift stations and other key features such as shops, pubs, bus and railway stations.
Good photos of accommodation exterior and interior - including shots of bed, bath dining and living rooms - and kitchen (if self-catering).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clear evidence of ABTA bonding.
TO's don't need ABTA (they "do" need ATOL).

Clear description of transport arrangements.
Fair point

Clear advice on reductions if own travel used -
OK
together with how to make the final transfers from airport/train station.
Good point I never though of that and it's not on our site at the mo. I'll put it on the new one.
Clear advice on parking arrangements.
Same as above - will put this on the new site

Clear map showing location of accommodation in relation to lift stations and other key features such as shops, pubs, bus and railway stations.
I think people don't trust maps so much now. Most people prefer (I think) to see a photo - like google maps
Good photos of accommodation exterior and interior - including shots of bed, bath dining and living rooms - and kitchen (if self-catering).
OK
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, TOs may not legally require ABTA bonding - but you asked what sHs would like to see. Personally, I would like to see ABTA membership - and can't imagine booking with a TO who was not an ABTA member - unless I knew the TO personally. Other sHs may feel differently, of course.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles,
Fair enough - good point. I did ask
We will not be joining ABTA. Why would we want to join ABTA when we are not a travel agent. We only sell our tours, no-one elses.
I know they have changed their strap line now to "The Travel Association" in an atempt to gain more members but it is still a travel agents assoc. run for them and by them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, thanks for asking.

I like to be able to search for availability by date and be able to book online rather than having to phone or send an email asking about availability etc. And I like receiving a confirmation email after I've made my booking detailing what I've booked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clear pricing and any singles/under occupancy supplements explicitly stated. Nothing worse than searching a site and getting "from £567".

A useful holiday search option too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, All the above plus
I want google maps, I want a link to Google earth, a link to Google Streetview if available. Also a short link to a youtube video seems all the rage at the mo.......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, I like your site ..... its straightforward nature and layout appeal. Clear what you do and who you are targeting.

I would like a specific section for the ski area /skiing/boarding itself with lots of pictures of the various slopes and your 'commentary' on each one and how they are groomed etc. . Given you target market that might look like a narrative/pictures of how the skier/boarder might progress based upon capability ... would enable the family/kids to dream before coming.

BTW --- you tend to use a few too many ''italics'' around 'words' with possibly too many question marks ??????? e.g. 'All' Hotels ...... (not that I am in a position to criticise of course).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
all the TO websites are much of a muchness. In order to stand out from the crowd you should consider;

- More photographs of the accommodation (inside and out), ideally giving some sort of perspective the the immediate surroundings. The fewer photographs there are, the more suspicious I am.
- Accurate indications of availability and pricing, not the usual general information designed to get you phoning up so they can up-sell you.
- Don't clutter the site up with reviews of the resort, other web-sites are almost always better for general info
- Accurate information on the accommodation location and the usual amenities, and a link to google maps
- Prominent phone number to call and knowledgeable staff on the other end of the line. I'm not going to book anything without speaking to someone about it first.
- Named contact, and contact details, in case of additional inquiries.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I dont want to have to keep filling in the same details over and over just as i want to look at availability elsewhere or on a different set of dates. A cookies that holds my details from first entry would be good as i dont want to have to register just to seach.

I dont want my search to come up with 'no results' just because i did not correctly guess the correct day that the TO or flight wanted the trip to start. Better to return a nearest match on dates and/or accomodation.

Be nice to see a seach based on budget per week, click on what extras you want/need then the price bracket you want then return result or 'nearest match if no result.

I like the idea of clear maps/google of distance to base lift. Decent piste maps are also a bonus for somewhere you have not been before.

I agree that the details of the transfer arrangements would be good as are interior pics and a little plan of the accomodation, ie room layout.

A CLEAR STATEMENT ON BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES PLEASE Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just had a look at your website and compared to other TOs it is probably the best I have seen (ie. simple). Probably helps that you don't have too many accommodation/destination options to deal with.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look at all of them.

This is the link to my test site. Most of it doesn't work yet and it hasn't been spell checked and some of the page in different fonts, etc, etc this is just a spare site address I have so I use this for testing. But it will give you an idea of the general layout..... Unless I change it before it's finshed

Like I said I am NOT a web designer so I know it's not as whizz as most sites, but I only just started to learn this stuff a while ago.

Boredsurfing wrote:
Wayne, All the above plus
I want Google maps, I want a link to Google earth, a link to Google Streetview if available. Also a short link to a youtube video seems all the rage at the mo.......

I have already included a Google Maps link (on the Resort Details page). It seems great minds think alike ( Toofy Grin ) I had already decided that next year I will ski down every slope in the whole of the Brenta Dolomites with a Helmet Cam and (somehow) link these videos to the piste map. There is no street view as far as I know at the moment.

arv wrote:
Probably helps that you don't have too many accommodation/destination options to deal with.

Some of the hotels are advertised on other website we have.

Dr John wrote:
- Accurate indications of availability and pricing, not the usual general information designed to get you phoning up so they can up-sell you.

This is not working on the new site yet but it has been on our old site for 4 years now. It is linked to the bookings database so it's always up-to-date. Not sure why all TO don't have something like this as it's very easy to do.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 21-05-10 10:26; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, sorry, I meant in comparison with bigger TOs (Crystal, Inghams etc), the only holiday websites I have experience of.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Information on how to get to the resort by rail including local bus times from station to resort
ski holidays
Following on from suggestions I have added a Self Drive option (in the Other Drop Down) on to the new site layout. There is nothing on the link yet but I will add details of Driving from the UK, from Milan, Verona and Venice airports and also train and bus links.

Thanks for the idea as I hadn't thought of it.
latest report
Anything that makes working out the price easier. So headline price is fine, but make extras such as flight supplements, lift passes, under-occupancy supplements, etc. really easy to work out so you can see what it will cost before you click 'yes please'.
snow conditions
I hate having to retry dates to see availability. I preferring a calendar view where I can view taken and vacant slots.
latest report
Wayne, After perusing your website, purely by coincidence (as until 5 mins ago didnt know it was yours), I found the current one fairly straightforward and simple to use - the only thing that confused me slightly (its not hard, so its more me than the website) was the pricing grid. However, I worked it out in the end. The new beta site is much more eye catching!
snow conditions
mustdash,
It that easier to understand.
Can't really think of a way to make it any simpler without making it more complex
If you know what I mean
Puzzled

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 21-05-10 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wayne, are flights included? On your pricing grid you have flight transfers included, and "Regional airport supplements, if applicable" and "Self Drive - deduct £120" which indicates a flight may be included but it doesn't actually say, or which airports the flights go out from for the inclusive price.
ski holidays
tillywhim,
Cheers for pointing that out - it was a typo. I have changed it.
Fair play to Mr G Admin - mine is only a tiny little site so the snowHead's site must have taken ages.
ski holidays
the new site looks cool. one point - make sure you proof read and spell check the whole site: i would for example always wonder about a company that I have not dealt with if they cannot get this perfect. e.g. (from the Pricing page) my suggestions in square brackets.

"We understand that our pricing structure is slightly unusual in the tour industry. We introduced this system in 2001, since when our bookings have increased every year, so it's obviously popular.

How we work out our prices.
1st, we assume that everyone wants a ski holiday, so we include everything required, e.g. flight, lift pass, equipment, etc. Of course there are a few people that will drive them self [themselves] to the Dolomites or will not want to ski when the arrive so, in these cases there is a discounts.[discount]
The 2nd assumption is that everyone is in a family unit of four people. Of course this is not always correct but we hope you agree that it makes it much simpler to work out the cost of your holiday. As an example, some companies will charge children a lower rate than adults whereas we simply add up the cost of this family until [unit?] and divide it by 4. So instead of children paying £8 and adults paying £12 we simply charge everyone £10. "

Good luck
snow report
boardiac,
Yeah don't wory wink I will get someone to read it before it's put up. That site is just a spare address I have that lets me check the codes in IE, Firefox, MZ, etc.

I only put this up to see if there was anything else that people would like to see on a TO site. I had a good suggestion of the self drive thing so that will now be included. If I put in the stuff that people really want, rather than what I think they want, then it can only be a good thing
snow conditions
Wayne, I've always thought it would be a nice feature to be able to show an image of the resort centre and where in relation to that the particular accommodation you're viewing is, so that you could get a good representation of how close it is to the lifts/bars/restaurants. Might be quite an effort for little benefit though; I just like knowing as much as is feasibly possible about my accommodation before leaving.
snow conditions
Dav wrote:
Wayne, I've always thought it would be a nice feature to be able to show an image of the resort centre and where in relation to that the particular accommodation you're viewing is, so that you could get a good representation of how close it is to the lifts/bars/restaurants.

Great minds think alike Toofy Grin

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 21-05-10 10:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I would like to know the distance to the nearest kebab emporium
snow report
Smokin Joe,
1,297 miles
see here Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, do you deal with ski travel agents at all as have a friend that may wish to help sell your product?
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
Information on how to get to the resort by rail including local bus times from station to resort

Very much doubt if anyone will ever use it but.... wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 21-05-10 10:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Make single supplements clear early in the process.

Ability to easily *actually find* the late deals they offer, all too often you click and a sting of 'search results' come up of which none match the offer.
snow report
Some thoughts from me...

Details of local amenities (e.g. Swimming pools for non-swimmers)
Hotel locations on a Google map and also include locations of ski lifts on the same map.
Details (pick up / dop off ponts) and costs of any ski buses.
Smoking / non-smoking info in hotels.
Hotel images to be displayed gallery style with option to view large picture.
Link to the relevant Tripadvisor page for each hotel

Pete
snow conditions
PeteMan wrote:
Some thoughts from me...

Details of local amenities (e.g. Swimming pools for non-swimmers)
Hotel locations on a Google map and also include locations of ski lifts on the same map.
Details (pick up / dop off ponts) and costs of any ski buses.
Smoking / non-smoking info in hotels.
Hotel images to be displayed gallery style with option to view large picture.
Link to the relevant Tripadvisor page for each hotel

Pete

thanks for ideas. All the items you suggested are already on except the bus stop thing as all hotels near to the slopes and the link to that site, as it seems to me (may be wrong) that it's mainly posted onto by people with an axe to grind and they see it as somewhere they think they are safe from legal action.
Just a point in case. My sister posted a trip report about a fictitious hotel (to see what would happen) and said what a lovely place it was. Within 2 weeks there was another post saying they would not recommend it to a friends and basically slagging off the facilities and the staff. Need I say more about that site.
snow report
Have a good quality piste map as a PDF.

I really hate the interactive maps and like an alternative.

Hate to say it Wayne but I think the one on your website is one of the worst, even worse than the La PLagne one. Sorry! Happy
snow report
e17phil wrote:
Hate to say it Wayne but I think the one on your website is one of the worst, even worse than the La PLagne one. Sorry! Happy

That's OK, I know full well that I'm not a good web code writer (php drive me mad) but I'll give it a go.
The main thing is that it works. Our bookings are over 40% up on last year.
It not finished yet, lots more pictures to add and spell checking to be done. As you'll note the address is just a spare site we have and use for testing. But, if you tell me what you hate about it so much it would be useful to know.
snow conditions
The map of the Folgarida Piazza with the rollover icons (on http://www.ukoutdoorpursuits.org/pages/folgarida_resort_details.html) is confusing. It suggests that the Cafe and Ski/Sports shop are located in the trees.
ski holidays
I like your site Wayne - simple, clear, works without scripts enabled and doesn't use Flash. Excellent!

You might want to learn how to 'include' PHP files. For example, if you create a header.php and a footer.php then 'include' them on every page you can make them all look the same.

Other links you might want to include are:
http://openpistemap.org/?lat=46.30&lon=10.87&zoom=12
ski holidays
It's a good site, Wayne (and what a brilliant idea for advertising it! - glad to see the customer engagement).

I would like to know which airlines you are using, where the hotels are relative to the centre of town and ski areas as part of the description of the individual hotels, and importantly, a reassurance that the boom boom nightlife you mention would not disturb my pre-skiing sleep.

I like very much the plans of the hotel rooms on your other site.

I would put the map showing where Folgarida is, relative to the other resorts, on the home page or explicitly linked from there. When I found the map, it helped me orientate relative to places I knew.

I may have missed this - but then, others would as well, as not everybody reads TO websites exhaustively: are you suggesting Folgarida as a base for the other resorts you mention, and if so, how do you get to them?

I'd like to echo what others have said about being able to see availability for alternative dates easily, without going through lots of repetition of data entry. You are to be congratulated on your simple pricing structure.

Not sure that I like having only £20 off the carriage costs if I were to take my own skis. Ski hire is a lot more expensive than that.....
snow report
beeorchid wrote:
are you suggesting Folgarida as a base for the other resorts you mention, and if so, how do you get to them?

I'd like to echo what others have said about being able to see availability for alternative dates easily, without going through lots of repetition of data entry. You are to be congratulated on your simple pricing structure.

Not sure that I like having only £20 off the carriage costs if I were to take my own skis. Ski hire is a lot more expensive than that.....

It's really simple to ski to other resorts from F but a real pain to drive. You have to either go up over the pass to Maddonna or right down to the valley floor to get anywhere by car. So no using F as a base to ski other areas wouldn't be a good idea.

You can see all the dates on one (availability) page ?

Ski hire is a lot more expensive than that....Not if you're still on a contract that was done in 2006 (@1.45 to the £).

altis wrote:
You might want to learn how to 'include' PHP files. For example, if you create a header.php and a footer.php then 'include' them on every page you can make them all look the same.

They are all the same - they must be as it a DWT page with embedded CSS HTML pages. So the hearders and footers may look to be on different pages but (as I'm lazy) you actually see "the same" headers and footers where ever you are on the site. The only 2 PHP pages (still embedded into the DWT are the API form and the upload liftpass pages. Neither of them finished yet. Having problems parsing the autonumber fields with a VBA shell call. Prob just coz I'm cr#p at this stuff. Fair play to Mr Admin for getting this forum site up and running.

Phil_D wrote:
It suggests that the Cafe and Ski/Sports shop are located in the trees.

It's a google earth photo and trees do overhang the roof of the section of the town center. Thats why it looks li9ke it does.
PS (on that point) took me *%@#$ ages to work out how to do that roll over thing.
snow report
Regarding Tripadvisor, I use it all the time. I agree that there are the odd fraudulent review but by and large I find the reviews to be accurate. Personally I would find it odd if a hotel that I wished to visit was not listed. I checked out Tripadvisor for Folgarida and only one of your hotels is listed. Even that one (Hotel Darby) has no reviews. Any idea why?

Pete
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy