Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnOasis

Poster: A snowHead
Just got this through from a mate, building starts September
http://youtube.com/v/HFhaDmDRP_Q
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting... they claim that there are 4.5 million skiers and boarders in the UK (13% of the population!) Mad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does that mean we (Britain) can put in a realistic bid for the winter olympics Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good news, but I'm not sure about a few of their claims.
"Largest indoor slope in Europe" - it's 415m long, 70m wide so about 30000sq.m . Landgraaf is 35000 sq.m
"World's first indoor winter spports resort" - depends on definition of a resort I suppose, but Landgraaf has an associated hotel, conference centre and fitness centre. Landgraaf doesn't have an attached icerink. There's a place in Shenzhen that has icerink and snowslope, but possibly not hotel attached.

"Capacity for 3500 skiers per day" is I guess just about achievable. Assuming each trip is about 2hrs, and open 9am-11pm that means they need 500 skiers on the slope at any one time. Hemel has 160m x 30m plus 100m by about 20 - so about 7000sq m. Their capacity is 150 skiers, so the SnoAsis capacity is a similar (or slightly lower) density - but will depend on how much wasted space there is around the edges and how the learner's areas are managed. Hemel's pretty rammed at that capacity.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks awesome to me! Smile

"Long enough to hold international races?" Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Interesting... they claim that there are 4.5 million skiers and boarders in the UK (13% of the population!) Mad.

Why would that be mad?

According to Crystalski statistics, there are over 2 million ski trips taken per year, and while some people take several, I am sure their counts also miss a significant chunk of the DIY market.

If you define a "skier or boarder" as anybody who has taken one or more trips in (say) the last five years, then that number may not be far off.

And it is less than 10% of the population - I have no idea where you get 13% from, unless you just got confused with your fractions - it is in fact about 1/13 of the population.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, sometimes I think you are just here to tell people they are wrong Laughing

You make a good point though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney, I was excluding the economically inactive, illegal immigrants, under fives and pedants and spent forty five hours studying the last census before I posted rolling eyes . Anyway, trust me on this, 4.5 million is wildly wrong. Here's a little clip from the most recent Crystal Report The ski market fell by 13.3% across all sectors last season. The fall follows seven successive years of growth and reduces the number of skiers travelling abroad from more than 1.22m in 2007/8 to just over 1m in 2008/9. And there they are talking skiers whren they actually mean trips. There are other reports like AC Neilson that are unbiased but broadly support the generally accepted figure for the number of UK skiers AND boarders at under 1 million... and probably closer to 800k and declining as people drop off at the older baby boomer end.

If it was 4.5 million you'd be looking at roughly 20% of anyone that has a job.

I have no idea where you got over 2 million from - a guess?

I hope this helps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, Why are you interested only in those who have a job?

Many families go skiing including children, who usually don't have jobs. Plus school trips, students who somehow manage to afford it, couples where only one has a job, etc. etc.

You need to look at numbers as a % of the entire population (which is in the region of 60 million), not just those in jobs.

I got the 2 million from memory of that last Crystal Ski report, but I can't find my downloaded copy at the moment Sad

I can remember comparing the numbers taking wintersports holidays and those taking summer holidays, and it being about 10%.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my experience projects like this usually start on site as soon as they have funding. So saying they start on site in Sept suggests to me they don't yet, but they hope they will be then. Will believe it when it happens...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting vertical drop - they claim it will be 100m. http://www.snoasis.co.uk/snoasis/

Now Ski Dubai is similarly about 400m long, 80m wide, but has only 69m vertical.

To get to 100m drop in the same overall length it's going to be fairly steep - at least in parts - allowing for a run-out area at the bottom and a flat top for the boarders to clip-in on. I'd say red run steepness. (Ski Dubai claims to be a black - but that's balls. A steepish blue for the most part with a short reddish bit on the inside of the bend in the middle of the run)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
415mtr is an improvement comparing to what is now available in UK, but it is still well behind Europe. Alpincenter In Germany is 640mtr for example.
http://www.alpincenter.com/
And we still have to wait 3 or 4 yaers for this to open.
Why not to look for suitable hill and built something less glorious but longer. All you need is a bit of roof to cover the hill.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Intersting that in the clip it says that it will cost £500 Million, and that mezzanine finance, finance etc is being encouraged/sought. Also the lovely 'plan' of it conveniently cuts off the massive houseing development (on the right).

I would suggest the 'finance' means the hotel company will finance/build the hotel, the property developers will finanace/build the chalets and residential housing, the dome operation company will finance/build the dome, the shopping center will be financed/built by commercial property developers etc.

I would not be surprised if this is still very much an 'on the table' rather than a 'done' deal because all the component cost centers would probably need to be self financed because it is highly unlikely that the 'headline' developer/landowner would be able to raise £500 Million on a speculative basis.

Good use of free land though and hopefully jobs for people Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It just seems a bit rough around the edges to me.. the video seems a bit un-professional Puzzled not to sure about this one..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
Bode Swiller, Why are you interested only in those who have a job?
I'm not, I was just counteracting your tiresome pedantry. You take a swinging guess at a number (which is double the reality) and somehow double it again to arrive at the SnoMirage number of 4.5 million. Normally you are not as daft as this.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, maybe 4.5 million is the number of people who have tried skiing or snowbaording at some time in the past, rather than any sort of active skier etc ? I know of quite a few that have had few hours on a dry slope and never been again; whilst they coiuld technically be considered as some one who skis, such people could pad-out the number of skiers considerably. They perhaps are best described as the target market for nosnowasis rather than 'skiers/boarders' though
snow conditions
Now this website makes interesting reading: http://www.snoasisconcern.com/ Toofy Grin

And oddly the official Snoasis website doesn't have any new press-releases listed since Jan 2009. So I'm not holding my breath... We'll see.
snow conditions
I'm sure the pond bats could find another pond to live around Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I agree that it would be a wonderful facility if the slope was as long and steep as proposed, sadly however im not sure if the finances stack up and as previously mentioned the presentation looks very amateur.

Nice yes, 2014 probably not.
latest report
ski-finder, It will be long enough to hold Europa cup Slalom races as they do in the other 2 big indoor slopes in Germany & Holland.
It is also going to be the training base for the GB ski team & The British Ski Academy. They have both had consultations to help with what it's facilities will be.
Let's hope it does go ahead, we have been waiting long enough for such a slope, it will only benefit skiing in this country. Plus other winter sports too.
ski holidays
Maybe a fund collection should be started on snowHead to help the GB team with faclilities at nosnOasis, now that the EOSB is finished Little Angel wink
snow conditions
Quote:

And oddly the official Snoasis website doesn't have any new press-releases listed since Jan 2009. So I'm not holding my breath... We'll see.

Wise words wigan, this thing has a bit of previous history on snowHeads since it was first mooted some years ago. Their web sites have always been a bit clanky. (Don't bother with the forum on the current one.)
Try the sH search engine if you are interested.

Still they do at last seem to have obtained planning permission which was one of the major hurdles. Now they need financing - maybe just as difficult nowadays?
snow conditions
rayscoops, Is that what is commonly called 'stiring the pot'? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
kevindonkleywood, Laughing
snow report
dead in the water i afraid.
Good point made about building a 'long' dome on a natural hill, weve got plenty in this country, but unfotunately we also have a large number of NIMBYs and tree huggers!!! as for length, Landgraaf puports to be 520m ever been there??? if thats 520m im a snoasis ahreholder Laughing
latest report
Where is the 600m+ slope in Germany?
ski holidays
ski-finder, click on the link you'll find 2 listed - one being in Bottrop the other near Hamburg.
snow conditions
iirc, Landgraaf is officially 500m on the straight side (used for Europa cup) and 520m on the curved side.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Philbo, you've been there a good few times, i have been twice, I think it is pretty accurate to that

iskar, think you better get your shares purchased wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy