Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada Dec 2010 Xmas / NYear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, its time I took my family skiing! have to put the lads trip to one side Sad . thinking of going to Banff, xmas, boxing dy for 10 days. Ive heard great reviews about sunshine mnts etc, empty slopes, no Q's etc. Does anyone know if the xmas week changes all this? does the resort go mental? Im guessing it does, but with schol holidas im goosed!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1063roberts, I went around that time in 2005/6. It wasn't too busy really. Sunshine probably was the busiest but still ok, Lake Louise even less busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think all resorts will be very busy around New Year- but much less so around Christmas which is much quieter. LL I think is very busy in the run up to NY.

One word of warning - it can be cold and not that snowy in December. That said it could also be warmish and not that snowy!

How old are you family?

Douglas fir can be a good place to stay if they are youngish.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gryphea, It's relative though. By European standards I didn't find it that busy although I think Sunshine had a record attendance day when we were there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B,

Yes. Maybe I've become spolied! I don't like queueing or very busy resort runs.

1063roberts,

BAnff can be lovely around Christmas- very 'Christmassy', outdoor skating on terrace at Banff Springs etc. But be prepared for the cold.

18 months ago my mother came over from mid december to 27th , it didn't get much warmer than -20 until the day she left and morte often than not it was colder than -27. The day we took them to LL , the lake and chateau it was -32 at the warmest and we couldn't get the inside of any of the car windows apart from the windscreen defrosted so we couldn't see out. Last mid december was cold and COP cancelled all its kids lessons. But christmas was fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OMG, that's cold, kids will be 10 & 7, I'l never get my misus to go out in that weather!! When is optimum condition time then for Banff?? mite have a change of plan on my hands !!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1063roberts,

It can also be mildish in these months too, but standard days would be around -8 to -15. Its not too cold for the kids as we have a couple too (now 7 and 5) and we lose very few skiing days per winter and kids in Calgary play out at school recess until -20. But you do need to be prepared for it, which means face masks, no exposed skin, decent kit etc. I have hotronics for those cold days. Good kit for little ones can be hard to get and needs preparation as even outdoor shops in Banff often don't sell kids sized face warmers etc.

Best time in Banff, honestly would be March, when the snow is usually plentiful and the temps more friendly.

If you want to come to Canada for Christmas I would recommmend BC as its usually warmer than Alberta. We usually spend Christamses/New Year in BC.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1063roberts wrote:
OMG, that's cold, kids will be 10 & 7, I'l never get my misus to go out in that weather!! When is optimum condition time then for Banff?? mite have a change of plan on my hands !!

Late feb onwards, starts to warm up and snow again, They get very little snow in the very cold months ... Xmas/NY, look to Fernie, Big White/Silver Star, Sun Peaks, or of course Whistler - all fine spots
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is worth mentioning that in Canada it can be ridiculously cold anywhere at that time of year (just tends to happen more frequently in the Rockies). Also -20 and below definitely doesn't feel as cold as you'd imagine. I think I was 8 the first time I visited Canada and it was below -20 all week with one day pushing -40. We only lost a single days skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv wrote:
It is worth mentioning that in Canada it can be ridiculously cold anywhere at that time of year (just tends to happen more frequently in the Rockies).

ditto for the Alps - 2 coldest days I've skied this year were at Ischgl and Galtuer. Below -20 with a wil wind chill. It's skiing. It's cold sometimes ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy