Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHere to Go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, New Year is becoming difficult. Having decided to go with Ski Total to Courchevel on 2 Jan, the Edinburgh flight (the only flight) is now full. Options are all out of Manchester (Courchevel or Val d ;isere being the best two for accomodation and price) or Lech (a bit dearer, worse flight times) or to fly with Inghams on 28 Dec from Edinburgh to Soll (or Westendorf). Views?

Mine is that I'm nervous of snow conditions in Ski Welt late December, but what do I know.

All your expert advice appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ghost Dog.Have you tried Ischgl.Great skiing and very lively apres.We stayed in the Nevada Hotel,a lovely hotel with good prices and great location.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ghost Dog, Presume you're booking a package deal? We use the Edi to Inns flight every year when going to the Arlberg. Flight times are ok to be honest but does mean you're getting to resort around 7pm and leaving around 8/9am. If you could be bothered flying from Newcastle the times are better (this is the same plane as the Edinburgh flight) - out at c. 6.30am and leaves Innsbruck around 6pm..

In terms of Lech v Soll - complete no brainer in my opinion. Have stayed in Oberlech a couple of times and really is about as perfect as it can get. Not cheap to get there admittedly but once there prices on a par with France - possibly marginally cheaper. Beer €4-5 per 0.5l, Pizza €8-10, Gulaschsuppe €5-7. Lech/Zurs oozes quality. Skiing nice and easy in the main. Decent off piste if that's your thang. Linked with St Anton - nuff said.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, Was cxhecking Inghams website yesterday to see if Edi Inns flight only released yet, but they aren't. One thing I did notice however is that they seemed to have brought departure from Edi time earlier - just after 6 am, still leaving Inns around 11.30.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Problem is lack of availability at New Year with major TO prices for week including NY way up on last year. Total's Sunday transfer meant a cheaper week departing 2 Jan. Inghams prices horrific for 28 Dec departure except for small.low resorts. So choice remains Val D'isere with Ski World or 3 Valleys with Total. Lech with Total mean driving back to Edinburgh from Manchester on a school night. Rather arrive with Ski World at lunch time.

Think I'll go with Val D'isere, never stayed there although occasionally crossed over from Tignes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Now Easyjet flights available I can fly on 1 Jan to Geneva, Lyon or Munich. ANy suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel in France (Tignes/Val d'Isere/3V) or Austria (Zillertal)?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog, Have you looked at Ryanair Edinburgh to Memmingem? Good option for Scotland to western Austria. We went to Kappl with family on 2nd Jan and flew Edinburgh Munich - flight was fine but 5 hours for 2.5 hour journey due to horrendous jams. Only cleared up once we passed the slip road for Zillertal - so watch that one if you decide to drive instead of train. On way back we flew from Memmingem to Edinburgh and took just over 2 hours in car. So would do that route again no probs.

Think you've really got to watch the Munich to Austria roads at peak times as they can be a nightmare (have had bad experiences both summer and winter) but off peak the roads are fine.

I have looked into Gerlos in the past and there are some good value 4 star hotels there. Mayrhofen is the obvious choice but I can't be arsed with cable car up and down so go for ski in ski out if I can - Gerlos fits the bill nicely.

Do BMI do Zurich from Edinburgh on Saturdays? That could open up some decent options by train.

PS. TUI flight from Edinburgh to Innsbruck now has the early flight time out
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ghost Dog, Ryanair have today started listing winter flights on some but not all routes. On another thread somebody had just booked flights from Stanstead to Vienna, I have looked but the flights I sometimes take to Grenoble are not available yet. I would keep looking over the next few days and more winter routes should start to appear.

If you are still looking for a good, reasonably priced hotel in France try Hotel Les Glieres in Champagny, part of the La Plagne / Paradiski area. They had a package of 7 nights half board with a 6 day La Plagne lift pass for around £450 per person last year for the first week in January or around £600 per person for New Year week. A relative of snowhead ANDY DEV stayed there at February half term on a similar package so he may be able to give you a report, they are also listed on tripadvisor. See www.hotel-glieres.com for more information.
You can also see more information about the resort here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53015&highlight=champagny.

Most places are pretty quiet the first week in January so I don't think you will have much problem finding accommodation / arranging a deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought about taking the train fromo Munich to beat the traffic? Works well for Westendorf and St Anton, or if you're going elsewhere to Innsbruck then bus/taxi from there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ghost Dog, don't know if you've got things booked now but Edinburgh to Innsbruck flights now released www.charterflights.co.uk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, settled for a chalet in Val d'Isere with Ski World, flying from Manchester on 2 Jan. So a drive down the M6 on New year's Day. What fun.

Trying to book this year it seems that week commencing 2 Jan (or 1 Jan) is pretty busy with prices fairly high.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy