Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this skier good enough for BASI exams?

Poster: A snowHead
Can you have a look at this video and offer any suggestions for improvements prior to a BASI L1 course this summer.

What changes would you make on the longs, shorts, bumps, variables and freestyle?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit back on her heels in the variables, but generally nice all round. Progression would be a bit more movement, bigger angles, maybe slow down the transition in longs. She's better at 360s than you are Wink The question is, will shadowing hours with her Dad count...?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea on evaluation standard for BASI 1, and I'm feeling a bit out of practise, but saying that - looked good, I'd expect her to be a strong CSIA1 candidate. I thought she ended a few turns at least getting caught a bit back, and would aim for more vertical flexibility (specifically from ankles/hips, seems to use knees a lot). Shows obvious seperation in short turns, but not so much in the bumps - probably a confidence thing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
good points chappies.. defo in the back seat but did you notice how short the skis were? wink

rob@rar, yup way too snappy on the longs.
DaveC, spot on, broke her leg real bad and was scared in the bumps
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, She's looking good, and has to be worth a pop at the L1. Nice to see her on twin tips too Happy

My first quick impression:

Longs - work on increasing the range / duration of movement and carry on developing internal feedback so that she can feel more what her ski's are doing. There appeared to a bit of skid creeping in now and again.

Shorts - play with a little more rotary / skid

Bumps - use the terrain a more to help control the speed / direct line

Variables - play play play on a power day snowHead

Always hard looking at random video's as you never know what it was the skier was actually trying to do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, see, I thought the shorts looked very skidded and a bit more edge was what I'd like to see next, along with the vertical flexion it'll demand as it means more force to deal with?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going to show the video to the Minimum's give them something to aim for with their 360's - which as you saw earlier this year from my vids they are starting to work on. I think it will do them good to see a younger skier in action. I noticed how she was tackling the moguls too, she kept going and made them look real easy, much in contrast to way I try and pick my way through them when I encounter the odd few. Maybe I will try a little more speed next time. I can't comment on the BASI L1 aspects, but I'd love to be doing as well myself!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, i know what you mean on video clips, just shot some random video for gcse review so she wasnt tasked with anything specific. She skies a bit like me, too squatty and static especially in longs where i think she was trying to be smooth. interesting on the shorts, i would say there is enough rotary and edge angle but more flex extend and forward movement on the cross through to get active in phase 1...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, does BASI teach crossing through rather than over as a default? I wondered about ski radius rather than length as it goes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, Interesting. watching it a second time & using the pause button, the ski's are hardly flat, and the arcs look reasonably 'grippy' which is good. My suggestion was 'to play' with it with the aim of expanding their skill set / options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a long way from being qualified to comment on the finer points, but aren't the pole plants a little wishy-washy? I was advised to give it a good stab with the poles and it felt great, helped massively with short turn on steep.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC, no not at all, at level 1 i dont recall any mention of different transitions but certainly at ISIA you need to be able to demo all three and in random order during a run.. i think but could be wrong at L2 you need to do cross overs and unders....

the skis are pretty short and floppy and she overpowers em quite easily, some of the skidding was the skis giving out imo...

Megamum, 306's are a great skill for little ones (im pants at em snowHead 0
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, no the pole plants (in the terrain we were on pole touches) were excellent, very good timing, hand carriage and rythym.... a firm plant on steeps is good but the terrain didnt warrant it...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some work on positive pole planting would improve the "picture" with the short rads and bumps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I actually take back what I said about the short turns, pausing the clip and thinking a bit more, I think the thing I'm seeing is that the skis aren't steered back across the fall line, rather than too much skid - same kind of < shaped turn effect. I think the short turns are actually pretty good for the level of skiing and probably not worth focusing on yet, the stuff we've mentioned earlier will benefit all areas. Just threw me a bit since it kind of looks like the "linked tail push" you get with intermediates, but in hindsight it's just the slight back seatness throwing me I think. What I'd like to see in shorts is a little less rushing, finishing the turn more along with the mentioned vertical movement.

skimottaret, I only ask because I barely mention anything that isn't crossing over when teaching. Seems to have the most benefit in areas like bumps, off piste, etc, where the people you can work on transitions with are likely to want to improve. This might apply to your daughter too - help get that confidence back up in the bumps? Thanks for posting the clip anyway, this is exactly the kind of level skier I haven't had much chance to look at. Wish I skied that well at GCSE age!
snow report
skimottaret, Yep, on the shorts I didn't see anything particularly inappropriate, it was just a suggestion for a future session.

What I thought I may have seen just very slight a hint of, is where the pupil starts doing nice skidded arcs (steeper pitch) with plenty of rotary but the arcs gradually 'degrade' with less and less skid, become more open and more carved\edged. But it's not obvious in the vid.
ski holidays
DaveC, anything past crossover is usually too advanced for most clients. just getting em moving the lower joints is usually a tall order !

perhaps we can all do some MA over the summer...
snow report
From what I saw of the other people that passed when I did my L1 summer before last, she'd have no trouble passing it I'm sure. She's better already than most of them who passed it during my week so I say go for it. Agree with the people that said she was a bit back off piste, I wouldn't say I know enough about it to comment on anything else.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
perhaps we can all do some MA over the summer...

Sounds a plan Happy
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, congratulations, I didn't realise you had gone for it. done any more boarding ?
snow report
is it just me or is the video blurred?? and out of interest how old is she? I may show my 10 year old Smile
ski holidays
I have seen skiers of a very similar ability pass a BASI 2.

Long - purely inclining I would say, thats not bad but would be better with some angulation at the fall line. Needing to manipulate the turn shape a little. (well above L1 though!)

Shorts - A more rounded turn would be appropriate. Coming across the fall line and really finishing the turn. Get a nice early edge and work the ski through the whole turn. (still easily above a L1 standard though) Thats what they want from a 1/2, lots of rotation. As the level increases it more like a smudged slalom turn. Bigger angles more edge and pressure from high in the turn.

Variables and bumps - Looked good, nice calm upper body, no breaking at the waist. The bumps are pretty much to a L2 standard aswell (based on people I know that have passed). Worth just spending more time in both variable conditions and in the bumps. Getting used to the subtle balance changes and pressure changes. Just getting used to reading the terrain aswell. Make sure there is an active extension between bumps so you can effectively absorb the following mogul, therefore never getting caught out and pushed back.

Honestly a L2 wouldnt be an unrealistic possibility. A trainer can get a lot out of somebody in the 9 1/2 days (of an L2) aswell. Just teaching to consider after that. After a go at the L1 at least she would have some specific areas to focus on.
ski holidays
Can people say what certification they are btw? Not to be in any way elitist, just out of interest really since it gives an idea of the commentors perspective - just to add weight to opinions from a learning perspective (ie, my opinions are much more likely to be wrong than skimottaret's, and I'd encourage anyone to disagree with or question my analysis). I'm a CSIA 2, working towards my 3 (ex-ISIA equivilancy, ish, probably) asap next season, a little experience teaching adults but work mainly with kids.
snow conditions
DaveC, I'm a Senior Project Manager, PRINCE II and Advanced G&T (blue belt)
latest report
I'd say she was probably a better skier than me and I passed BASI level 1 so theres no reason why she can't.
snow report
I am currently a BASI L2 and also have the Livret de Formation. Next season I aim to complete the L3 ISIA in 1 season, so set myself a nice tough goal. My teaching has been both private and group. From never having skied to carving.

Its not been all that long since I did a L2 myself. Based on the skiing in the video it is not far from the standard at all, if not already there (for a L2). To put in perspective there were people taking the exam who had very limited time on skis and an obvious inability to adapt their skiing. One person comes to mid who could not yet carve a blue run consistently until the last Thursday of the exam! Bumps wise we did not have to show changing lines/pace. There were no challenging drills such as hands on head or even just no poles (in bumps).

The biggest focus is short turns where the main concern seems to be rotational separation, and not really the performance of the turn.
snow report
IVSI Coach and other stuff.
ski holidays
Yes, she'd breeze her L1 I'm sure (the level is basic parallel - she's beyond that). With a bit of training I'm sure she'd get her L2.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks good to me, but then I'm no qualified teacher Smile

I do think though she needs to turn wth her head in the 360's, rather than the shoulders Madeye-Smiley

Good luck to her and hope she goes on to be a great instructor Smile
snow report
skimottaret, Currently working on my isia.

Leevel 1 would be not bother to her! Two big things to work on is 1

Much more active in her body especially in her carving as it is more park and ride than being active on the skis

Same in the bumps better body managment and more active on the skis, Plus gettin her hips forward over the middle of the skis and stacking them so they are more responsive for her.

Based on what I seen of the BASI guys doing their gap course last year she is much stronger than some of hte guys that got there L2
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Based on what I seen of the BASI guys doing their gap course last year she is much stronger than some of hte guys that got there L2

She skis a lot better than a couple of BASI 2's I know.

Just to echo what others have said, to me it looks as if she needs to really relax. All a bit 'rigid' for me.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
is it just me or is the video blurred?? and out of interest how old is she? Smile

yeah it is blurred, i didnt have a proper video camera with me and used a camera without autofocus when zooming which screwed up the focus on some of the shots.... She is 15 in the video and will be taking L1 when 16 this summer.
latest report
skimottaret, is she doing the July course at HH?
My daughter is same age (and standard I would say) and is doing it, as are 2 of her friends I think.
snow report
rungsp, yup, good to know she wont be the only youngun...
ski holidays
Well if there are 4 girls of the same age all there together....God help the rest of the course Smile
ski holidays
Level1 is much more central theme based anyway. You have to be able to listen to what the trainer tells her to do and then replicate it, its much more focused on the basics of skiing (up to plough parallel really) rather than personal performance (although you obviously do some).

Working toward my ISIA.
ski holidays
Very interesting! My daughter is 14 and is showing interest at the moment. She's not at that standard yet, but not too far away, it illustrates well what she needs to aim for.
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, congratulations, I didn't realise you had gone for it. done any more boarding ?

Yeah, I'd done it that summer I think (June 2008) when we had met up for a board sometime after that whenever it was.

No I haven't done any more boarding! Think you knew I'd broke my wrist the day after we met I think? As such I've never get on one again. I haven't put in for my L2 although I was told by a few Trainers a while back now I'd pass it then without too many problems so should easily be ok for it now, I will probably do it one day, just too busy with my degree at the mo and therefore no need for extra cost when I could spend the money on skiing holidays instead Smile . Not much point in doing it unless you're genuinely going to teach skiing in my view but we'll see.

I was going to say earlier on I thought she was nearer Level 2 standard and could probably pass that with a bit of training so glad to see others thought the same.
snow conditions
Colin B, Level 1 standard isnt too high and she is easily above it, I agree with most of the others that L2 is within reach with a few tweaks... i was fishing more for movement analysis and what improvements could be made to give her something to think about. (when we ski together it never gets into drills or lessons wink )
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Fattes13 wrote:

She skis a lot better than a couple of BASI 2's I know.

Just to echo what others have said, to me it looks as if she needs to really relax. All a bit 'rigid' for me.

Echos my post above then even more so.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy