Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much exposure to cosmic radiation do you get at skiing altitude?

Poster: A snowHead
Heard on a science podcast that exposure to cosmic radiation during a 7-hour flight (at 30,000 feet/9,000 metres) equals the dose of radiation received from a single chest X-ray.

Now, the following calculation is inherently flawed because the amount of cosmic radiation exposure at one-quarter of 9,000m isn't exactly one-quarter of a chest X-ray due to the proportionate thickening of the atmosphere the closer you get to sea level but I'll park that for now.

Since I generally ski at altitudes averaging 2,250 metres at an average of 5 hours per day over an average of 50 days per season, I am effectively being exposed to the equivalent of 8.9 chest X-rays worth of radiation each season (ignoring the flaw mentioned above).

Am not concerned about this but it does make you wonder how much radiation instructors, mountain guides and seasonnaires are exposed to Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suggest you ask this question on TGR. This will help answer two of your recent threads Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon, brilliant suggestion, I'll do that straight away.... Laughing Razz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So why are all pilots not riddled with the big C?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, lead lined jockstraps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
So why are all pilots not riddled with the big C?

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/airtravel/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, most journalists, and some scientists, need to think more like you. A study may show a statistically significant increased risk; which doesn't mean to say the risk is significant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, It just proves the need to wear a helmet Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I prefer mine covered with tin foil.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero-G, Probably not as much as the pilots Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G, See this article, which identifies that because of its altitude, the residents of Colorado receive a significantly greater amount (almost double) of background radiation dose than those of Massachusetts.

The good news is that when adjusted for the age of the population, Colorado had a lower incidence of cancer.
As most of us don't get to live all the time at Colorado altitudes (unfortunately Smile ) I don't think you need worry. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
most of the frequent business travellers I knew had a greater chance of dying of cirrhosis of the liver than any cosmic radiation-induced cancer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, I have a feeling that your maths isn't that far off when you reach the figure of 8.9 possibly more by luck than judgement.

Anyway, some very basic extrapolation from the linkAlastair Pink posted would suggest that your 8.9 (lets call it 9 to make it easy) chest -xrays is a dose of 0.18 mSv and 100 mSv causes an increase of 1% cancer cases in a population then your exposure causes an increase in incidence of 0.002% which is pretty much unmeasurable.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm more likely to develop some form of cancer from living in central London and breathing the polluted air than from exposure to cosmic radiation during my own limited hours at altitude.

Looking at the table linked from Alastair Pink's link, if you do spend a lifetime at altitude (which equates to about ~300 chest X-rays or 6.17 mSv per year for an average lifespan of 70 years - figure was halved to allow for time spent at lower altitudes) then you have nothing to worry about, it seems. Right, I'm off to buy that mountain hut Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Background radiation depending on where you live in the country might have a greater effect:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/evidence/statistics/environment/radioact/radradon.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, A pathetic attempt to get your non-apres post count above your apres post count wink Laughing

Oh and the answer is not enough to give a damn about Smile
latest report
halfhand, what's this 'non-apres vs apres post count' thing you're talking about? Is there a prize for increasing one over the other or does it count towards some esoteric post count fu?
ski holidays
Zero-G,

Admin[/b[][b]TallTone were mucking about recently but they've retreated to their darkened rooms Laughing http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1511333#1511333

I've had this kicking around for a while. can't remember where I got it from

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy