Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ Ski Areas- Mt Ruapehu?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping for some help/advice.

Me and my girlfriend have just done a season in Colorado and are now in NZ. The plan was to head down to Wanaka/Queenstown to work and ski down there on the South Island. However, a work opportunity has come up for both of us at Mt Ruapehu (on the North Island) as lifties etc.
I have previously spent some time skiing out of Queenstown, so know what to expect there, but know nothing about the skiing or area around of Mt Ruapehu? Some advice off you knowledgable folk would be great? Confused I am an advanced skiing looking for some off piste action (possibly some touring too) and my girlfriend is a good intermediate skier and very quick learner.
Cheers guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need t stay or look for work in Ohakune, this is on the Turoa side of the mountain.

http://www.ohakune.info/

It was quite a nice place when I was last there in 1990.

Mt Ruapehu has erupts quite frequently last major in 1995/6.

Most skibums I spoke to in St Anton this last season are heading to NZ (Queenstown) to work this season so I think it will be quite competitive for work.

IMO Queenstown is a tacky Dump.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
You need t stay or look for work in Ohakune, this is on the Turoa side of the mountain.

I had the best Chocolate Eclair I've ever had in a bakery in Ohakune. I'd go back for that alone wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ruapehu is a big volcano that gets a fair bit of snow. And weather. The latter means lots of closed days in mid-winter, and it really comes into its own by lat ewinter/early spring. It's typical volcanic ski terrain, with all sorts of rocky outcrops and lava gullys - basically decent sized 'if you can see it, you can ski it' terrain. The hike up to the crater rim is well worth doing too from either side, especially on a powder day!

Skiing at both areas is varied and I think they have some new lifts since I was last there 4 years ago. Ohakune is a fun little town too, so you wouldn't get bored there, even on down days. I'd recommend it - skied both hills several times and always had fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/3HxxzfUfFGk&feature=related
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, Shocked Shocked Skullie

Would NOT like to be under that!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know a couple of people who work as instructors at Ruapehu. During one of their seasons they averaged 1.5 days work per week. The mountain was shut for the rest of the time.

True though it is competitive for jobs elsewhere. Mt Hutt is also good, some great skiing. But its nicknamed Mt Shut, think you can guess why...

Think they have good skiing when they are open. But I would say people mostly go to NZ for a bit of the lifestyle. Its just different, a nice change. The skiing doesnt compare to Europe though IMO, certainly not to North America. I would only go back for work or for training, with some time off to check out some of the awesome sights.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
R555MAC wrote:
But I would say people mostly go to NZ for a bit of the lifestyle. Its just different, a nice change.

One of the best things I heard in ages.

Typical of travelling nowadays, take off from Europe & land in Europe (Oz,US etc) We call it the Burger Culture (nothing to do with burgers).

Thee is NOTHING different about travelling to these places apart from the flight time !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Thee is NOTHING different about travelling to these places apart from the flight time !!

Except they are not full of drunk Brits Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Well there is actually more to it than that if you bother to look.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a cold day its great-- but affected by maritme climate, so blue ice. Plenty of ice on the lifts to knock off in the mornings before you get the lift to start. Have some good waterproof clothes!
A challenging mountain, both sides, Turoa has traditionally better snow, more ice on the Whakapapa side!
all the best

JT
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it's home and a great spot. Dont rule out staying in National Park (had some very good times there) and a lot of staff live in and around Turangi which which although not a great town 35mins to Whakapapa it opens up Taupo (50km to the north) which is a real fun place. RAL also used to offer some staff accomodation by the chateau. Don't know if they still do but may be worth looking into.

It's worth the hike to the crater lake alone.

stanton, it erupts approx every 50 years although i agree that is frequent it's not dangerous or maybe i just took it for granted living next to it until i moved to the uk in 96.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a_j_hardy, and if you do get there, don't forget to try out Tukino. A great little club field on the south western slopes of Ruapehu turning off the desert road about 400metres north of the road summit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy