Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Patrouille des Glaciers

Poster: A snowHead
Tim, Chris and I are just back from participating in the Patrouille des Glaciers, one of the oldest and most famous ski touring races http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrouille_des_Glaciers We did the short version from Arolla to Verbier.

It's a military race and the equipment checks are done with military precision. Skis must be longer than 1m50 and 60mm at the waist. And they check every single pair!

Which means a fait bit of queueing.... this was the bottlenceck for the rope check. 30m long and 9mm wide. Shorter or narrower "Ca ne passe pas!"

In the army transporter from Evolene up to our accomodation in Arolla. Spot the odd ones out with the freeride gear...

It was 5*...

"Last of the Summer Wine"

Nice photo opp...

Warming up for dinner to a well known Kriss Kross song...

Conditions were good so it's a go, go, go!

4am start. It was dark...

The professional photo...

The sun coming up as we traverse the Lac des Dix

The sun is out for the climb up to Rosablanche

Relief...

The crowd support was fantastic!

Another of the pro photos

Over the Col de la Chaux, down to Medran and on foot through the village to the finish line....

A picture is worth a thousand words....

Enjoying a few celebratory beers under the Canton de Vaud flag

Great party atmosphere in the village

The Swiss "Red Arrows" did a fly by!

Patrol 1577 completed the 2010 Patrouille des Glaciers in 5 hours and 58 minutes!

What a brilliant day. Hard work but just an amazing feeling at the finish.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 23-04-10 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Patrol 1577 completed the 2010 Patrouille des Glaciers in 5 minutes and 58 seconds!

You were quick but ... Seriously good effort though, well done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must have been some wishful thinking there. Duly corrected!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wot no pow shots????
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome. Something I never got round to doing. Congrats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great post
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH, btw not sure if you've seen this but it's a break down of your split times: http://services.datasport.com/2010/winter/pdg/Team1577.htm if I'd seen this in the morning I might have been at the finish line for when you arrived!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geat effort - weel done

were you in BD factors? were they no a bit stiff?

ditto movement flames?

even better effort.

You need beer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ed123, Tim in Factors, Chris in Radums and me in Titans. All very comfortable but a tad heavy compared to Scarpa F1's which seemed to be the boot of choice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That looks like seriously hard work. Well done and great pictures.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great report, really love the photo with the helicopter in the background, gives a great sense of depth.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic, those photos really communicate the atmosphere. Great effort. snowHead Were all the participants fellas?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH, well done! You going to do it again in 2 years time? Looks great. How technical did you find it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
BobinCH, well done! You going to do it again in 2 years time? Looks great. How technical did you find it?

In 2 years I'm doing the long version on the Kuro's with Logan in the backpack. Vive le Freeride!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH, cool!!!!!
ski holidays
BobinCH, Another great TR !
snow conditions
under a new name, didn't find it too technical. Just quite long so you need to pace yourself on the first climb when the temptation is to charge out of the blocks!
ski holidays
Rad - 5 star Very Happy
Extra bonus points for not doing it on dynafits and trabs like the other rando geeks.

Zeee swiss army are very effiecient for sure (not much else to do I guess!).
ski holidays
Well done!! We've talked about doing this, I got a bit put off by stories about peoples eyeballs freezing up etc so it's great to see you made it! I think there are mixed and all-women categories too, I met an incredibly glamorous woman who's a hut guardian near Zermatt who did it a few years back and was doing the Mezzallama this time instead.Great pics and congratulations!
snow conditions
BobinCH, your time was very respectable - was just reading the reports today. Some doubt over its continuance though which seems like a shame?
snow conditions
Respect!
ski holidays
pam w, firebug, there were plenty of ladies doing the race - their fantastic svelte figures didn't escape our attention Happy

I believe one of the teams did under 7 1/2 hours beating the ladies record from Zermatt. Phenomenal! The picture with the chopper in the background is of a lady.

It was actually very warm when we did it on Thursday morning. Even at 4am at Arolla I was warm in a base layer and the green windstopper. Conditions obviously differ from year to year.

I hope the race continues as it's a fantastic event to participate in. I'd say anyone relatively fit and experienced at touring could do the short version. You need to ascend the first 900m in 1h45 and after that can go at whatever pace you like.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy