Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Part time teaching with BASI L2?

Poster: A snowHead
I have taught a couple of weeks at Interski this season with their part-time employment package, which was fantastic - all inclusive, all organised etc.

http://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/recruitment.asp

Does anyone know any companies providing similar opportunities for BASI L2 instructors, or anywhere else that might employ part-time on a week by week basis?

I'm looking to build up teaching hours but unfortunately can only do 4 weeks per season with Interski, and that's assuming they have space.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Europe.

Are you anywhere near an artificial slope or indoor slope?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UK or Europe?

I'm slightly confused by what you want - do you just want to pick up work for a week or two rather than the whole season? In which case just email a few ski schools, most will need extra instructors for peak weeks over the season. Doubt you'd be able to work in Austria or France with BASI 2 though, maybe try Switzerland?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
musehead, If you are trying to build your hours, it's probably best to hook up with a slope in the UK and work part time. Otherwise, Switzerland probably offers the most opportunity for you come next season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski 2 (I think they're called) in Champoluc. Astons. There's a whole thread on here about this somewhere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm hoping to pick up a few weeks part time during the season, rather than for the whole season - also trying to avoid having to get a job at a dry slope (I don't like them!).

Cheers for the suggestions!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What do you mean by part time - only a few days a week? Standard instructing hours is usually 4-6 hours a day, six days a week.

But yeah, lots of ski schools will need extra instructors for a couple of weeks each season, just email around.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said you can get hours in at slopes in the UK although the pay is usually low and given it'll tend to be at weekends you'll rack up the travel costs unless you live close by, which is not great given the pay!

Since September I've managed to get something just over 80 hours at Gloucester but have done a similar amount (at a far higher rate of pay) just by doing a few weeks at Cairngorm in the holiday periods, and learned loads about teaching on snow too. Admittedly it's been rammed up there given the epic conditions and I've had as much work as I've wanted but have had some time to ski with the family and mates on days off which has been great.

So I'm pleased I've broken the back of the 200 hours for L3 but I suspect I've also fallen into the trap some people warned me about last season having let my personal performance stagnate a bit in favour of doing the hours rather than keeping the training and practice going as much as I might have - beware! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:
... I've also fallen into the trap some people warned me about last season having let my personal performance stagnate a bit in favour of doing the hours rather than keeping the training and practice going as much as I might have - beware! Toofy Grin

Welcome to my world Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, lol!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schools in Austria are known to take on L2's especially at busy half term times. Even all season.

Try the Ziller Valley. Mayhrhofen, Finkenberg aretwo of the resorts wheer I know L2's have found work - Part time and full season.

Even L1's have been known to be taken on in some cases.

As for clocking the hours - try to leave some energy and time free for your personal training.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, yeah - what I meant was full time but on a week-by-week basis rather than for a whole season.

The idea is to try and complete my hours while out next season (I only need 5 full time weeks over the season to do this), but also dedicate quite a bit of time for training/practise and free skiing as well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musehead, In that case just email around the various ski schools. I do a similar sort of thing in my uni holidays with Furstauer Ski Schule in Saalbach, could be worth a try, although I've never met anyone working in Austria with the BASI qualifications.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, I've met a few guys with L2 (although not far off completing L3, so fairly experienced) who teach full time in Austria (but that doesn't mean a guaranteed 35 hours teaching a week so pay can be a bit thin in quiet months). A few of them were teaching in Mayrhofen and one in Obergurgl.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Fair do's, I've only worked in two schools so I don't have much experience with it, just seems rarer than I'd have thought.
ski holidays
clarky999, yes, you're right that it's by no means common (especially compared to Switzerland), but it is possible.
snow report
I know two people that worked full time at the ski school in Ischgl this season with just their BASI 2, and I worked at Fiss-Ladis with the additional requirement of the Austrian Anwarterprufung, which is a bit more of a pain, but you shoul always be to apply for equivalency in Austria with the BASI system to work.
snow report
I know someone who worked with a L1 in Mayrhofen, got very little work though.
latest report
musehead, consider working at Cairngorm as a part timer.

You'll need to commit to half term week and can then choose your other weeks.
Best to use xmas/new year+half term+easter for to guarantee 4 or 5 days per week.
You'll get a half price instructors lift pass and pay is good. (up to £750 at half term)
Loads of budget accommodation, no language difficulties or travel.
snow conditions
pfairbrother,
You have to pay for a lift pass to work in Scotland ?
Don't the ski school provide this ?
snow report
pfairbrother wrote:
musehead, consider working at Cairngorm as a part timer.

You'll need to commit to half term week and can then choose your other weeks.
Best to use xmas/new year+half term+easter for to guarantee 4 or 5 days per week.
You'll get a half price instructors lift pass and pay is good. (up to £750 at half term)
Loads of budget accommodation, no language difficulties or travel.

You have to pay for the lift pass???!!! Do the ski school not offer accomodation either?!

Saying that, £750 for a weeks work (even if it is half term) is rather awesome!
snow report
If part time (i.e. committed to at least one busy week, usually half-term) you can get a season pass for £90 which is yours to use throughout the season even if not working any more than a week. IIRC if you don't wanna pay that or you decide to work on a casual basis they'll do you a pass for the days you work as and when needed at no cost to yourself, personally I'd rather have the cheap season pass which is what most people choose. Accommodation wise I wouldn't expect them to do accommodation to be honest, it aint a foreign country (not to me anyway) and we 'aint migrant labour lol. Most people there have accommodation sorted anyway, nobody expects it and they don't have a problem filling places - 100 odd instructors at the busiest times this season and they still had to turn away at least half as many again IIRC.

Dunno where the £750 comes from (pfairbrother?) but in a busy week an L2 on a part time contract could pull in around £600, L3s more obviously. Best plan if working part time would be to do it on a self employed basis and put costs against tax, that way as I understand it you'd be getting pretty much everything you earnt back after you claim.
snow report
How many hours are they doing a day? Assuming you mean working 6 days during half term week, £100 a day still sounds like a lot for level 2!
snow report
4 hours a day actual instruction but they expect you to be in around an hour before you start so you could call it 5 hours total, in busy periods though you usually have to start pretty early to get up the mountain in good time before the crowds appear so that prolongs the day but there are worse places to be hanging around waiting for clients Wink

It's not as much as £100 a day but knock off £15 from that and you'll be in the ball park for L2 Smile One reason the pay is good is that the work isn't guaranteed and being Scotland the weather sometimes has a say in whether or not you work for periods of time so you can't guarantee working every day you're available. This season it wasn't a particular problem for me, I lost 2 days when there was a storm but that was it, but some others lost at least a couple of weeks of pay in the weeks when there was so much snow falling it took days to dig everything out Shocked
snow report
The pay isn't that good at other Scottish ski centres although at some accommodation and food are provided free of charge.
snow conditions
at half term you can work for between 7 and 9 days @ £85 per day for a L2 skier (more if you have snowboard quali or have worked there before)

better to work self employed and invoice ski school for full amount and not pay tax/NI as PAYE (need to register with HMRC!)

it's an instructors season pass and as a part timer you need to contribute half the cost. Only full timers get a free staff pass.

accommodation is plentiful in aviemore and there are hotel staff rooms available if you are single

If you arrive in the morning at 8am there is time to get skiing in before 9.20 morning meeting.
You will get a mix of kids and adult lessons, beginners and movers.
Lessons finish at 3pm so that gives another 2hrs or so of free skiing.

Yes I lost money through the season because of poor weather -stormbound or access roads blocked but half term and new year were mega busy with clients getting turned away from ski school because all instructors (nearly 70 of us that week -including roga, wink ) were booked. Very Happy

Paul
www.trekntrail.co.uk
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy