Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lifts in Corrie na Ciste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a Sassenach I am acutely aware that there are avid posters from North of the border and I don't want to be out of line.

However, I have noted thro the SCGB website that there are apparently last-ditch efforts in hand to try to rectify a creeping de-commissioning of uplift in The Ciste and to get some re-instatement of vital sections. Without this the Cairngorm resort may well wither and become even more user-unfriendly.

The Organisers of the movement have some well marshalled facts and arguments and deserve, as it seems to me, a much louder and wider platform from which support will surely flow.

Go to www.savetheciste.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, this was talked about a bit in another thread recently, though I cannot comment having only visited the western ski areas in the last 15 years.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Farley Goode, Even from a first to Cairngorm in March it was obvious that from a snowsports perspective the decision to decommision the lifts in Ciste is bonkers. On my visit much of the best skiing was that side, and the leftover West Wall poma is far too high up on the ridge to serve it. The only to way ski it was to go down to the bottom and get the shuttle bus, then get the funicular back to the top, a lot of hassle for one run - even though it was a pretty long run! (and yes, I have signed the petition1)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS, Yes , it is a grand run and there is much more challenging stuff in The Ciste than in Corrie Cas. Ciste is probably the reason many people go to the resort. Bonkers decribes it well. Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The situation gets worse when the West wall Poma packs in and you have to walk out at the end of a long day Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were there last Sunday (18th) and had some fantastic fresh powder.

As the shuttle bus had stopped for the season my brother and I dropped the car at the Ciste and then hitched a lift back to the Cas car park. rather conveniently, the first car to approach us stopped to pick us up.

We made the Ciste our last run of the day and took a high traverse past the bottom of the Ptarmigan tow.

We then skiied the shoulder of the Corrie (the name of which I've forgotten Puzzled ) and had one of our best runs - a steep pitch, with spring snow and about 8cm of fresh on top. Incredible! Very Happy

4 of us had the mountain to ourselves (2 of us + wives) and it almost felt like cat skiing without the cat...

We then had some nice long patches of fresh snow between the heather, under 10 minutes of heather hopping and a snow patch of decent length to finish and get us back to the car.

As stated elsewhere, the West Wall poma is in the wrong location and sees the tow track break up long before the snow has vanished from the Ciste gully. Suffice to say that the Ciste has some fantastic, challenging skiing and, with the reinstatement of the West Wall Chair, would see a lot more excellent terrain being open for a much longer part of the ski season.

Here's hoping...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister, sounds like the last run out to and down one of the headwall pitches of Coire Laogh Mor, then back along the Laogh Mor Return fence line where there's still some snow - did you arrive at a bridge and wooden steps to cross a stream back to the Carpark?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Winterhighland

Yes - it was skiers' left of Coire Laogh Mor and then the rickety bridge and wooden steps back to the car park.

3rd time down there since mid March - the run was complete in mid March when we skinned up it and then 99% complete a week later. This season was our first time on that part of the ski area and we are delighted with the discovery. What a gem of a run! Very Happy

On our first 2 trips we skiied the Coire itself but last week went for the shoulder as the coire entrance looked a bit rocky.

Last week was still worth the effort as well, however - although we cheated and took the funicular that time! wink

We are off to Tignes and Val Thorens for next weekend's Bank Holiday then hope to get back to good old Cairngorm the weekend after. We hope the lifts will be on but are planning on skinning if need be.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Intersting query and response from the Blog on the Cairngorm website:

Just wondered whether there is any chance/plans for getting the chair lift running again next season, as at times there were lengthy waits for the shuttle bus and then also the train to get back up to the top afterwards.
Especially bad during holiday times.

admin Says:

May 31st, 2010 at 4:25 pm
Hi.
We are still looking at various ideas, plans, costs etc. regarding the chair but as of yet no decision has been made. we will keep everybody informed as and when decisions have been reached.
Cheers

colin

Dare we even hope that after this wonderful bumper season that they might get the Ciste Chair running again:D ?? Must admit that I'd given it up for dead, despite the online petition.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would be great to see the chair back on, Very Happy

here is hoping that some of the revenue from the huge numbers can be spent on this little project, although to be fair I can see it being the cheapest of jobs to refurbish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They should spend the money on snowguns first.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ difficult one I'd say but they have the snowgun they had this year (and was buried for most of the season lol) for further trials again next year.

Personally on balance I think some investment in the chairs at this point in time would probably be more of a revenue driver, particularly if put to dual use with mountain bikes in the summer, so on balance I think investment in the chairs would be the best first option. Don't get me wrong though I've thought Cairngorm needs snowmaking for many years so I'd be more than happy to see investment in that direction too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Skier in the Ciste Gully on Monday 31st May 2010. Complete to within 15yards of the boardwalk and I've seen the WWC run with snow running out a lot further from the boardwalk than that. Almost the entire WWP up-track is now devoid of snow apart from patches at the top of the Ciste Fairway.

The West Wall Poma last operated on Sunday 18th April, slightly over 6 weeks ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, It's incredible that it's still possible to ski so much of the ciste (bearing in mind we did it at the beginning of May). The chairs should be first priority as without investment they will be unable to be revived anyway. Cannons have been a glaring omission for at least 20 years, but if more extreme weather is a regular occurrance they are far less important.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy