Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zinal - Is A Car Needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Zinal next year and was just wondering if it is better to have a car in resort to get between the other resorts on the lift pass or if the free bus is frequent/reliable enough.

The chalet I have booked offer return transfers from Geneva for a reasonable price (cheaper than the car hire) but dont want to take that up and regret not having a car when we get there just for the sake of a few quid per person.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cham08, reckon you'll be fine without it, very efficient swiss bus service Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grimentz is only about 10-15 minutes away by postbus, but I think you have to change at Vissioe to go to St Luc/Chandolin. I'm not sure how long this will take but I would guess a minimum of 30 minutes, possibly more.

To get to Vercorin without a car would probably take quite a while and at least 2 changes.

Hope this is some help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there last year without a car. It worked fine, although Vercorin seemed impossible to get to. No loss, as St Luc, Grimentz and Zinal are enough to keep you amused for a week! The change at Vissioe for St Luc was seamless, and Grimentz to Zinal is a direct bus. Having said this the buses aren't all that frequent, so you'll need to study the timetable. They were however completely reliable.

As for driving, you'll need a strong nerve as the road up from Sierre is of the 'narrow and winding with huge drop to the side' variety!

Have fun - it's a lovely valley - possibly my favourite.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cham08, Never skied St Luc but I was under the impression that Zinal and Grimentz had the better skiing. Starting from Zinal you can ski the nice itinerary down to Grimentz meaning you'd only need to get the bus back at the end of the day. And you can sit on the terrace of the bar opposite the bus stop if you are early so it isn't really a hardship. I'd probably only bother with a car if you wanted the option to do days in Crans Montana, Verbier etc but they're both approx 1 hour from Zinal.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 24-04-10 19:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IME if you don't have a car and want to explore it takes about an hour on the bus to get to St Luc. The ski Navette runs between Grimentz and Zinal only, all other transport is on the regular timetabled Postbus, with usual changeover at Vissoie.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 26-04-10 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BobinCH, Bob in CH, ah I get it! The penny drops. Embarassed

Anyway, as you say, from Zinal, skiing Zinal/Grimentz is no problem without a car. Although it does help to be aware of the bus timetable (it's printed on the piste map) because they aren't terribly frequent.

St Luc is about 45 minutes via a change of bus in Vissoie. Vercorin (outside the Anniviers commune) is only easily accessible by bus on Friday but it's the smallest/least interesting area anyway, although it has some nice tree skiing.

A week lift pass does offer reciprocal days in Crans/Montana and Leukerbad. The latter has outdoor thermal springs surrounded by the mountains and makes a great ski/spa day out.

Personally, I prefer to have a car, but am quite happy if I don't have one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Is there enough skiing in Grimentz/Zinal for 4/5 days and then 1 day in St Luc/Chandolin?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH, don't overlook St Luc - some really nice skiing, albeit often accessed by drag lifts. there are a few great north facing couloirs which we didn't discover until right at the end of the one day I spent there Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
BobinCH, don't overlook St Luc - some really nice skiing, albeit often accessed by drag lifts. there are a few great north facing couloirs which we didn't discover until right at the end of the one day I spent there Sad

sounds like a perfect excuse to return.............
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, alas didn't make it into the Val d'Anniviers this season. Blame that pesky Mt Blanc Unlimited pass - the best thing since sliced bread!!!
snow report
 brian
brian
cham08, unless you are obsessed with piste kilometreage then I would say there's ample for that. I've done more than 10 weeks there over the last 4 seasons and I'm not bored yet. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy