Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volcanic ash insurance company experiences - post here !

Poster: A snowHead
Just about to try and claim for stuff on the Ski club insurance policy.

Anyone used this yet, or has any useful experiences with other insurance polies they want to share ?

d
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Direct Travel say on the website no cover due to volcanos
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not the volcano, but the snow back in early January......a substantial amount of compensation has this morning hit my account from the good people at Easyjet to (almost) cover the cost of a train from Geneva to Paris, a hotel and a flight home.....all I can suggest is keep receipts for everything, and be patient
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pendodave, who is the underwriter of the policy? I've received reams of correspondence from insurers over the last couple of days over their individual positions . . .

Basically, your airline should be either cancelling and offering you a refund on the flight that you should receive within 7 days or offering to swap the flights to a different time. I would expect there to be delays in getting an straight answer from airlines, insurers, tour operators etc due to the high level of demand, and if your stuck at home wiating be patient.

If you are stuck overseas trying to get home, be reasonable in the costs you incurr, ie mitigate your losses and the insurance company will be more sympathetic.

I have been advised that the majority of the industry have confirmed they will not be applying the following exclusion "withdrawal from service temporarily or permanently of any means of transport on the orders or recommendation of any Port Authority or the Civil Aviation Authority or any similar body in any country" which is standard to may travel insurance contracts.

Flights should be fairly easy to obtain compensation for, associated costs such as accomodation booked sepeerately will be considered on a case by case basis apparently.

Its actually a little early to know the exact position from most insurers. Hiscox, Chubb and Towergate have confirmed they will deal with claims. Chartis are reserving their position. As soon as i have further info i'll post it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt, i suspect they are reserving their position at this time due to the proximate cause being an excluded risk. Their position may change dependong on the precedent set by the rest of the industry.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, no, they say exactly the opposite here (press release dated yesterday), their one proviso being that the loss is not recoverable elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Insurers are pointing people to EC Regulation 261/2004 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004. If on an EU-based airline that's where a claim should be directed if they have cancelled your flight. Mr O'Leary was giving it the "tough luck" line but he's in the wrong.

Some insurance companies appear to be allowing claims but remember it'll probably only be for the travel delay part of the policy (probably a max £150-£200 - peanuts compared to the real cost of getting home) and in any case, they say things like "if not recoverable elsewhere" which means going to the airline first. Good PR but stuff all use.

And now that this volcano is a known event, it'll be very hard/expensive to insure against going forwards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chartis have now confirmed they will deal with claims for cancellation and delays due to the volcanic ash situation. From their release to us:

"Chartis covers ‘volcanic ash’ disruption for business travellers

Chartis has decided to pay travel claims under its Lifeline Plus and RapidQuote policies caused by cancellation of flights due to volcanic ash from the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano.

In normal circumstances, travel claims made for cancellation, curtailment, disruption, replacement and delay are excluded if an insured person fails to check-in according to their itinerary, or because their aircraft, ship or train is withdrawn from service on the orders or recommendation of transport or similar authorities (exclusions 9 a) and 9 b), Section B4 of Lifeline Plus and RapidQuote policies). On this occasion Chartis is setting aside these exclusions for claims caused by volcanic ash that cannot be recovered elsewhere.

Chartis is also treating the interruption of flights because of the volcanic ash as an adverse weather event facilitating the payment of Travel Delay claims.

These extensions to cover apply to all claims from business travellers on trips booked prior to 14th April 2010 and insured under Lifeline Plus and RapidQuote policies purchased before that date. Claims will be subject to all other terms, exceptions, conditions and benefit limits of the relevant Lifeline Plus
and RapidQuote policies, which otherwise remain unaltered.

Our commitment to meeting our customers’ needs places our claims handling service at the centre of our customer proposition. We believe it is positive news for business travellers faced with the prolonged and exceptional disruption caused by volcanic ash."

Chubb have now confirmed "they will consider all reasonable costs incurred for additional travel/accomodation as a result of the recent delays. They will also pay reasonable costs incurred for food and drink for those stranded".

If anyone does experience any difficulty claiming as ever i'm more than happy to help resolve.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

that cannot be recovered elsewhere

snobunni, and that's the innocuous little line that sends you back to the airline for compensation. Clever stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, that or wordings along the line of more specifically insured elsewhere tend to be in most insurance contracts. The practical stance our providers are taking is that they will assist policyholders and subrogate where necessary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
davkt, no, they say exactly the opposite here (press release dated yesterday), their one proviso being that the loss is not recoverable elsewhere.

Good to hear its changed since the weekend when I looked!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pendodave wrote:
Just about to try and claim for stuff on the Ski club insurance policy.
Anyone used this yet, or has any useful experiences with other insurance polies they want to share ?

d

Would you get more replies by asking on the ski clubs chatroom?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah.. a ski clubs chatroom! so that we can reply whats inside of us!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michaeltoomey wrote:
yeah.. a ski clubs chatroom! so that we can reply whats inside of us!!

what Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, A spambot that picks up the previous post and attempts a vaguely sentient response. Or Snowhead's own O'BernardFranz - "poet, genius, madman, t**t" possibly.
latest report
I have received an email from Direct Travel to state that they have now reclassified the volcano as an 'adverse weather event' and will be accepting valid claims. http://www.directinsurancecover.co.uk/customerserviceupdate/volcanicashonline.htm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy