Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Zermatt Train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I (with family) am travelling from Geneva to zermatt via Visp on April 4th - sunday morning - at 9am.

1) do I need to purchase my tickets in advance or can we just land up at the train station an hour before the departure to board it.

2) I know that you can check in luggage at the Geneva airport railway station all the way thru to zermatt. Does this facility/service apply to the railway station in the city also. the train which originates at the airport - stops only for a few minutes at the station in the city - so i don't know how much time there is to check in the luggage. We are staying in Geneva for a couple of days before heading out to zermatt. does anyone have any experience with boarding the train in the city?

3) has anyone bought their train tickets from the swiss railway website - www.sbb.ch - and had it shipped to them. I am wondering what the turnaround time is - from the time you purchase the ticket till you actually receive it.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done the same trip but can only help by telling you that you can buy your tickets at the station when you arrive. Might be handy if say the plane is late. There is a station which is actually part of the airport building so the whole process is relatively simple. I took my skis and stuff on the train with me but can appreciate that checking it all in would be a huge bonus with a family!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I brought mine from Switzerland travel (MySwitzerland.com) and they sent them out fairly quickly. I've used the service where you check in your luggage and the problem is that they take them on any train when they sort them out so they arrive later than you, when i did it it meant going to the train station at midnight to pick them up!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mrpow, the cost of a return ticket from Geneva to Zermatt is 172 SFr per person but you may want to compare it to the price of a Swiss Transfer Ticket, available from the Swiss tourist office in the UK via their website http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/uk/ they charge £54 for 2nd Class and £83 for first class per person, if you have children of 15 or under years of age they will send you a family card which allows them to travel for free provided one parent travels with them, I'd get the transfer ticket and just buy single tickets (family card stiil applies) to go from the Airport to Geneva central It's less than 10 mins journey time and the train pauses in Geneva Station for a few minutes

Ok to sum up

a. get Swiss Transfer tickets before you depart make sure you tell them the date you intend to leave Geneva not the date you get there or you will have to pay to travel from Geneva to Zermatt (Tickets sent from UK usually take 2 working days but allow a week)

b. On getting to Geneva Airport buy required no of single ticket to Geneva

c. Luggage can be sent between any two railway stations in Switzerland, this is not the same as fly rail but is similar, unfortunately I don't know the price, ask at Geneva Station when you get there, they will tell you the price and also when you need to get the luggage to them or when their office hours are, the luggage may be on the same train as yourself going to Zermatt or it may get there before or after you. The station will give you a better idea.

d. boarding the train in Geneva will not be a problem so long as you remember that Swiss trains tend to run on time, get there 10 mins before the train departs and you should be fine, allow up to 1 hour if sending luggage as there may be a wait at the office.

All Swiss railway stations tend to be clean and tidy with helpful staff, train timetables come in two colours White for arrivals and (this is the important one) Yellow for departures, they are broken up into time segments first, look for the time you want to depart and then go down the list till you see your destination of Visp it will be on trains ending at Brig, the timetable will also show you which platform the train will depart from, if you have any questions ask at the ticket office (most Swiss seem to speak passable to good English)

Hope that helps Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, if you clearly mark on your luggage the hotel you are staying in, they might pick the stuff up from the station and deliver it to your room.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be worth buying a half price card. As the name suggests, it gives you half price on Swiss railways. I think that there are family passes available too. The SBB web site gives details, I believe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrpow,

When you are arranging for your Swiss Transfer Tickets, it may also be possible to arrange for FlyRail tickets for your bags as well. These are big green tags which affix to your ski bag, and are attached in your city of departure's airport. They can be sent straight through to Zermatt while you take your time in Geneva. They may sit at the train station for a couple of days, but this should not present a problem. Check with your hotel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Considering Zermatt for 2007, the Transfer Tickets look a good deal, 1st class not a great deal more exp. than 2nd. Anyone travelled 1st and 2nd class, what's the major differences, is it worth it? £57 / £86 on this years prices.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On Swiss railways you're very unlikely not to find a seat in 2nd class. First class seats are significantly better. The views of Lake Geneva are first class, from either class of window!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, First class seats are wider and slightly more comfortable, the first class compartments tend to be almost empty and very quiet, the newest trains are really comfortable, 2nd class coaches tend to be busier but it would be incredibly rare not to get a seat.

I've travelled 1st and second class on Swiss rail and either is fine, however as the start to a holiday for that little extra amount especially on longer journeys 1st class is definately the way to travel wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, that about sums up what I thought - many thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
massmith

if you're going next year consider flying to Sion if you can get one

train from gva to zermatt seemed to take the best part of a day, whereas sion is much closer
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
iarm74, thanks but from what I can see sion flights are few and far between, especially from the North of England. Quicker to fly to GVA then 4 hour train, hoping to take in some scenery, maybe have a drink or 2 and start the holiday on the train as DG Orf says. On the assumption that flights are timed similar to this year then should be able to get a late morning flight to GVA and be in Zermatt in time to unwind and get prepared for next day. On return, leave Zermatt mid afternoon to get late flight home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy