Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are Europes ski co's so secretive?

Poster: A snowHead
The Voice of Reason thread today about developments for Les Arcs Villaroger is typical of French attitude to new ski developments, secretive rumour fuelled and often unannounced. A good example in La Plage was the new Bergerie lift which was only announced when the surveyors pegs appeared in the ground.
Does anyone know the reason, for the lack of information other than the 'official' comments which are often along the lines of 'We have many projects being planned but not all will come to fruition'

Edited to correct do to so in title

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-04-10 11:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, yes, that is a noticeable tendency, I agree. I suspect one reason is the extreme local rivalries, with many very crucial decisions being taken much more locally than would be the case in the UK - one of our ski lifts took forever to sort out because the maires of two tiny local villages couldn't agree. So I suppose there's lots going on behind the scenes and nobody wants to show their hand.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But there again other resorts publish their 10year development plan/ideas for anyone to see if they want.

Doesn't mean it will or won't happen mind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing wrote:
The Voice of Reason thread today about developments for Les Arcs Villaroger is typical of French attitude to new ski developments, secretive rumour fuelled and often unannounced.

any significant mountain development has to go through a complicated set of planning hoops: PPR, PLU, SCOT, UTN, PdC so by very definition can neither be secretive nor unannounced.

Maybe if you rewrote your sentence to:
The Voice of Reason [/b]thread today about developments for Les Arcs Villaroger is typical of UK ski forum's attitudes to new ski developments, secretive, rumour fuelled and often total dangly bits.

it might be more accurate.

I'm not saying that is the case with the VoR thread but there were at least a couple of bits of information that struck me as odd: the lifts won't be "turned off"... they may no longer feature as part of the les Arcs ski pass. Most of the Aiguille Rouge is in a nature reserve it is is unlikely they would even get through the initial stages of the planning process to construct snow making or runs in or close to this zone.

Maybe someone has some land to sell in Villaroger?

Just my thoughts, I might be totally wrong. Val d'Isere has plans to run a telecabine lift right over the Vanoise natural park to Bonneval and this project has local political heavyweight Herve Gaimard behind it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Have changed the thread title to be more accurate. Apologies if I stood on anyones toes about highlighting potential investments into Alpine ski resorts. My mistake, I thought this was the appropriate place to bring such information to the masses, even if it is very early days and likely to change considerably....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, The replacement of the Fornelet chair in Montalbert is a good example, at the begining of the season the rumour was that the existing chair would be relocated to replace the ageing Bauches chair and the Fornelet would become a 6 seat de-mountable this summer.
However, as the season progressed another rumour has emerged that the chair will be replaced by a 'gondola' style lift in 2015.
Presumably the former would need some type of planning approval whilst the latter would require an environmental impact survey and a host of other approvals as it would be new development rather than replacement.
So why no open to the public plan for the future for any developments of lifts in the area as a whole?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Voice of Reason wrote:
davidof, Have changed the thread title to be more accurate. Apologies if I stood on anyones toes about highlighting potential investments into Alpine ski resorts. My mistake, I thought this was the appropriate place to bring such information to the masses, even if it is very early days and likely to change considerably....

No feel free, what you say in the other thread may be exactly what happens to the letter at Villaroger. I was just pointing out that whatever happens has to follow a defined process and that process is in the public domain.

You should first be able to get hold of the town plans from Villaroger or Bourg St Maurice (PLU or SCOT) to see what is zoned for the area (zoning plans can be changed of course) then you should ask to see the (Unité Touristique Nouvelle) for the sector which should lay out what is planned for the near future (5-10 years).

Any actual building will follow these documents. I guess like any commercial project the people actually involved in the building probably want to keep their plans secret for as long as possible.

If people are looking for where resorts are expanding these are their first points of call. For example Puy St Vincent completed its SCOT a year or two ago and, as well as new beds, it saw the expansion of the ski area with lifts in some existing off piste sectors as you forsee at Villaroger. Montgenevre has a massive expansion plan, currently awaiting a UTN. Val d'Isere is also preparing a UTN for a big push down to Bonneval sur Arc. I can well believe the les Arcs expansion to be true and suggest any investor checks out the existing planning documents to see what is already scheduled.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-04-10 12:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:

So why no open to the public plan for the future for any developments of lifts in the area as a whole?

But did anyone actually ask the town hall or lift company what they plan to do?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are also rumours about at least one more lift into Ste Foy......allegedly (or should that be again?)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Voice of Reason, any idea of the potential location of the extra chair?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, t'other side of the Marquise, to link in the little village (name escapes me) at the end of that particular trail - also opening up some new runs......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Voice of Reason, thanks. More terrain at Sainte Foy without too many extra people would be excellent.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Voice of Reason, arv, Bataillettaz is the name of the hamlet, they are also planning to build a large new apartment block between here and the main station starting this summer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fogliettaz, That's the fella, right there wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the rumoured new lift will run from Bataillettaz to the bottom of the Marquise? Or do I have the wrong end of the stick?
ski holidays
arv, Thats what I have heard as it is a fair trek from Bataillettaz to the bottom lift in the station.
latest report
arv, that's what I understand, but it was quite late in the evening by the time the subject came up
snow report
Thanks guys.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy