Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brixen im Thale or skiwelt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I fancy skiwelt next year and i am looking at going to brixen. the reason for my choice is that we want a place that is close to the first lift, we do not want to get a bus anywhere. I was looking at ellmau but accomodation seems far away from lifts. we will be into our 3rd week of skiing, me hubby and 2 kids 10 and 12. does anyone have any advice? or can recommend other resorts. we were also fancying saalbach. we are looking for more cruisy blues than looking for hard work. we will probably go self catering so which resorts are cheapest for supermarkets and eating out on slopes. we will consider other areas although after having been fleeced in france this year we thought austria might be cheaper, oh and we would also like more tree lined skiing than what france has to offer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo99, The www.freihof-appartements.at in Soll might suit your needs. They are about a 5mins walk to the lift's we normally leave our ski's and boot's at the ski shop below the gondola.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brixen im Thale is one of the eight tentacles of Skiwelt. The other 7 are Going, Ellmau, Scheffau, Soll, Itter, Hopfgarten and Westendorf going round in anticlockwise direction. With the exception of Westendorf, which has its own separate area, the other 7 tentacles all meet up at the top like an octopus so staying in any one of them close to a chairlift is the same. Soll and Ellmau have more accommodations than others.

I think it is a fact of life that self catering accommodations tend to be cheaper and far away from the chairlifts. Austrians do drive to ski and hiring a car may be an option as everywhere you go you are almost guaranteed a space to park. My brother did find a cheap accommodation about 5 miles off Westendorf/Brixen for his family of 4 a couple of years back. They flew from Norway to Munich and hired a car. I stayed in Ellmau once myself but I always drive to ski.

Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang, all linked together, would be good for crusing and may be more snow-sure too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brixen is part of the Ski Welt. If you want to go to the Ski Welt, I'd recommend Westendorf as the best base resort. Lovely village, couple of nice bars if you fancy going out, Wunderbar if you fancy getting rowdy, although it's mainly a quiet resort. It also has the best skiing of the whole Ski Welt. No idea about accomodation though, I've also stayed in the Glockenstuhl, which is an amazing family run hotel.

Saalbach is ace too though. Bigger, definitely livlier, great cruisy and some great apres fun. For more of a family holiday I owuld say Westendorf probably tops it though - it's small enough (but not small enough to get boring) and friendly enough that you won't mind the kids skiing by themselves there either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, How did I Know that you would recomend Westerndorf? we must meet up next year if you fancy it, Westerndorf or Soll? Or we could meet in the middle Brixen?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah cool - not sure when exactly I'll be in Westendorf, that depends on my family. Happy to come over from Innsbruck for a day at some point though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Westendorf didn't catch my attention when I skied it before it was linked with the SKiWelt. I would have thought its next door neighbour Kirchberg, 3.5 miles from Brixen im Thale, should set some skiers on fire as that is the access to the mighty Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In favour of Westendorf, I can say that a friend waxes lyrical about it, saying it was a great place for his family when they were starting skiing. There are some nice easy slopes directly at the village and also a long piste 111 down to the Choralp gondola which would be good for intermediate skiers. The run back down from the top to the valley isn't that easy (particularly the upper section) but you could take the gondola down.

Other areas in the SkiWelt are also attractive, though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
Westendorf didn't catch my attention when I skied it before it was linked with the SKiWelt. I would have thought its next door neighbour Kirchberg, 3.5 miles from Brixen im Thale, should set some skiers on fire as that is the access to the mighty Kitzbuhel.

Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel is nice, but I wasn't massively taken with it. Lots of easy access to offpiste, but only pretty mellow offpiste. Bit of a generalisation, but most people who go to Kitz probably want piste based cruising - which I think Saalbach is better for. The Hahnenkam ski route was a bit of a disapointment too (we did the proper run, which is graded as an 'extreme*' ski route), you'd have to be nuts to straightline or race it, but otherwise it wasn't really all that steep, or challenging.

*although it shouldn't be...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For my own liking between Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt/Westendorf and Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang I had the best time with Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang. Its valley can be skied from one side and returned by the otherside. That makes a day's skiing for me as it is longer than the St Anton/Zurs/Lech's White Ring but shorter the the Dolomites' Sella Ronda. Brixen and Westendorf are better for families though. So is Leogang of Saalbach/Hinterglemm with which at the dead end of the valley at Hinterglemm is known to be a nice to drink with party going atmosphere. I myself rather like the restaurants and supermarkets in Saalbach instead.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, I will PM you nearer the time with dates when I'm in Soll.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For us nightlife is not even an issue. We never even leave our apartment, chosing to eat in. We would only leave the apartment to take the kids toboganning. I went to Soll 20 years ago and loved the ski welt but now we are going as a family so Soll is out the question I think, becuase of the bus to the slopes (and no we wouldnt walk it as kids would whine) we just want an easy life.

I am going to have a look at other areas of the world.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo99, There are a few places in Soll where you don't need a bus to the slopes.

There are others in Scheffau (My work colleague stayed at one this season), and possibly some in other Ski Welt resorts.

I wouldn't dismiss it on the basis that most accommodation needs a bus.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But Soll is not so a nice place after all... how bout finding new location??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some aspects of Soll are stunning. Pay a visit to the church, and you are in an art gallery! As I recall, the nearest accomodation to the gondola is the Hotel Gansleit, and that is just over half a km across field, definiely a ski bus ride.
Polo99, when you have a young family, making their ski life easy pays dividends, so I agree with your aspiration of staying close to the lift.

Sometimes, that iosn't possible, but many times it is, so go for it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy