Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stranded in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
martski, So am I...but only on this thread wink His advice is a bit simplistic but,in essence,correct.When you find yourself in these kinds of situations,and have exhausted all 'sensible' options....calm down and accept reality.You aint going nowhere!The problem,from my perspective,is a lack of personal skills.I see this almost daily.So many people are used to having their lives directed by others,and are at a complete loss when a spanner gets in the works Confused Yes,family's with young children,the elderly etc will obviously find it difficult.But to run around in a blind panic,harassing airport staff,is pointless...and a waste of energy and time.There are always options,you just need to seek them out.And having calm,clear thought processes is a good starting point.Being stuck like this would undoubtedly annoy and irritate me,but only briefly.I am confidant I would find some sort of solution...whether that involved staying or finding a way back?The very last thing I would worry about is work collapsing through my absence(I'm not a leading surgeon so I have that luxury).To those that feel that way,or even worse,believe it.........trust me.........you are dispensable and replaceable Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not wanting to bring this back on topic, but a group of us have just made the journey back from Chamonix. It took a little bit longer than usual, but really wasn't all that bad. We took a sleeper from the alps (Chambery, due to the SNCF strike) to Paris, and then hopped onto a Eurolines coach from there to London.

The sleeper train had loads of space on it when we booked (24 hrs in advance), and Eurolines seemed to be doing a good job of laying on as many coaches as they could to take people to the ferry. Calais seemed very quiet (no queues of cars, we drove straight on), but maybe that's because people know there's no point turning up on spec.

So it's not all doom and gloom - if you are trapped in the alps then I recommend a trip to your local station to see if they can help you (actually, I'd probably recommend following stanton's advice if it's an option...but not getting too stressed if it's not!).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowskisnow, ding ding! Hole in one with your post! Smile

I am absolutely astounded at the total lack of ingenuity shown by others. I didn't know whether to laugh or weep at the story of some poor woman's husband "helplessly stranded" at Frankfurt airport since Thursday. Wtf? frankfurt chaps, not bloody Lima.

Won't the government do something?

*wrings hands*
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coaches leaving Morzine on Tuesday 06.00 through to Dover.
See post in The Piste for details.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Airport transfer operator www.chamexpress.com normally provides airport transfers between Chamonix, Morzine and Geneva Airport.

Since the Volcano crisis began, they have been chartering coaches to come out from England on a rescue mission to bring back holidaymakers from Chamonix to London-Victoria in the UK.

Owner, Andrew Martin said 'It is now a priority to get people back to the UK as people have to get back to families, work and school exams. Many are running short of money, which is why we took the decision to provide this service on a 'not-for-profit' basis'.

One coach left for England on Sunday. Two more coaches will leave Chamonix on Wednesday afternoon (21st). A limited number of seats are still available at 120 Euros, including the ferry.

To book, call: 0033 450 54 73 72
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamexpress, well done you Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will have several spaces int he van driving back from LDA on Friday. Ferry late friday night. If anyone needs a lift and can get somewhere suitable, let me know. BTW I will have cat with me (in case of allergies).

I can think of worse places to be stuck than a ski resort which is still open, and very quiet. Lots of accommodation, great snow, and sunny too .....

Alexandra, I totally agree - what the hell are any government supposed to do about a cloud of volcanic ash? Why should they do anything? Risks of travelling greater distances I should think. rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Have you tried hitching its very cheap (free)?

I'm a girl, mate - it's not recommended. (Nor am I personally trying to go anywhere.) And I'm sure all the ski bums out there are unbothered by being stranded in the snow for a bit, but they're the minority - most people are lumbered with families, jobs, budgets etc etc. Now stop being so insufferably smug.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the latest update on the situation,and reliable travel information.........

Look on snowheads Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update - I'm collecting Brian and his family en route!

snowskisnow, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it really necessary?

http://www.swedishwire.com/business/3869-john-cleese-takes-taxi-from-oslo-to-brussels
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, there have been stories of extraordinary taxi rides on the BBC news!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, I knew it would take more than a volcanic eruption to stop you wink Good for you...and a safe journey.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, As you know I always drive anyway, I don't think Ioda would appreciate public transport - he's not keen on the van! Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I'm a girl, mate - it's not recommended. (Nor am I personally trying to go anywhere.) And I'm sure all the ski bums out there are unbothered by being stranded in the snow for a bit, but they're the minority - most people are lumbered with families, jobs, budgets etc etc. Now stop being so insufferably smug.

Nowadays ,before you start Ski Bumming or even recreational skiing you should know your limitations (financial, insurance etc).

I never had the luxury of cheap flights (any flights). I did not even know what security was (grossly over rated now) , zero money , zero insurance I didn't even care, its just a risk I do or do not take.

Folk now just live in a world that when trouble strikes they have no F**kin clue what to do, it is laughable if not sad.

The best advice any government could give , is to relax & sit back wherever you are and sit it out ... Of course these governments have no idea on how to handle this crisis.
Spending millions on repatriation could be just spent on on B&B's ,campsites, family put ups. Dont forget there are thousands of tourists, business folk hold up in the UK who want to get home as well ?

Life goes on & Volcanoes will erupt again Very Happy
snow conditions
These are forces of nature. No human can control any of these. All we can do now is perhaps pray, stay where we are and yes, life should go on.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

But you've just given him a chance to be smug! rolling eyes
snow report
Just want to mention Ski Total company repatriation via coach last weekend. Have to say that the company were quick to respond. Cancelled flights, which initially seemed premature on Thurs when our flights were Sunday. However, double up drivers coaches and ferry all booked straight away meant that the worst event we had to deal with was a long bus journey home.
Some passengers were bad tempererd at the end of 26 hrs on a bus, those with young children suffererd most. But I have to praise the professional patient staff, who were not to blame for acts of nature. Highly recommend this company. Stayed Les Arc , small chalet Lors Brun, nice enough, food excellent staff...probably the most efficienct ever....well done.
snow conditions
[quote="stanton"][quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:

The best advice any government could give , is to relax & sit back wherever you are and sit it out ... Of course these governments have no idea on how to handle this crisis.
Spending millions on repatriation could be just spent on on B&B's ,campsites, family put ups. Dont forget there are thousands of tourists, business folk hold up in the UK who want to get home as well ?

Life goes on & Volcanoes will erupt again Very Happy

Yup, my view, with the ferries (and not just from Calais) and chunnel running as normal if you were in mainland Europe and had a bit of cash to spend and ingenuity (and a load of slightly offshore bits linked to mainland by boat) you weren't any more stranded than you wanted to be, and no need for for one end of the continent to the other taxi rides, the public transport networks tend to work rather well!
snow report
we were in austria.. supposed to be coming back friday .. stayes on for an extra night to begin with.. then got a mate to hire a 9 seater, get a return ferry ticket for sunday n meet us in cologne.. we left radstat at 10.30 met him at 7 i think after 2 changes most pleasent trip .. drive to calais was a bit of a slog.. got on ferry n home early morning tiring but went smoothly.. hotel will be looking after my board skis boots etc till next season
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy