Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Putting Salt on Your Piste

Poster: A snowHead
There have been a couple of references on snowRacers to firming up race courses in Meribel otherwise in really poor condition by mixing tons of salt with the snow. Permitting events to go ahead even if under much less than ideal conditions.
Now how does that work?????? When I were a lad, we put salt on snow and ice to melt the stuff. Can anyone please explain?
I'm baffled. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a clue, except that I thought it was a "different kind of salt" - which binds the crystals together to create a hard crust...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kuwait_ian, it is true that if you put salt (shall we say sodium chloride in this example) on ice then the ice will melt and the salt will dissolve. However, this is not due to any kind of "heating", it's simply that the system is trying to attain a phase equilibrium - i.e the state in which solid salt and solid ice can exist in equilibrium with each other. For sodium chloride and ice that state occurs at -21 C. Hence the effect of adding the salt is to melt a bit of the ice but, more importantly I guess in this case, it is to achieve a rapid cooling effect by formation of this "freezing mixture", which will temporarily stabilise the bulk of the snow/ice and give them time to hold the races Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From a report about a X country event in Trondheim ....
Quote:
It would have been excellent if not for the fact that the grooming machine broke, the alpine groomer complete with course-salter got stopped by the police, and the organizers used road-salt to salt the course. The result was ankle to calf deep sugar snow. It was amazing slop

So it's not just the speed freaks who do this slope seasoning. Pepper & Vinegar, anyone wink In this case unsuccessfully. Sad But it seems to be not uncommon.
Alan Craggs, I think you're on the right lines there. Instant cooling, whack the piste bashers over it to compact it and you've got a race. But as you say the effect is temporary and eventually the treated course must be unusable unless the temperature drops well below the new melting point. So I'd guess this is a one-off technique used only in extremis just to save a race. And tons of salt - whatever variety it is - on a relatively small area is not going to do much for the underlying grass.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An interesting article on course inspection here including
Quote:
Hard Crust over Soft Snow

This type of condition occurs after a warm spell or rain, and one night of cold. Small controlled groups should be allowed to do a tip to tail slip, but the main inspection should be performed by side slipping outside the course. To get a look at the line, stop in each section, outside the course, and glide in on a railed edge to look at the line. When you are done with that section or gate, glide back out. If we don't follow the glide in and out method, we will scrape down through some of the crust. The first few racers will get by ok, but by the mid 30-50's holes will start to develop, and people will start pre-releasing from their bindings. In some cases salt or fertilizer will be applied to the surface 30-40 minutes prior to starting. No one should be allowed on the course during that period to allow the chemical to set up. If the hill was not groomed prior to the snow setting up, then we will have a mess on our hands, with lots of slipping and chemicals.
Quote:
Fresh Heavy Wet Snow

This is the most difficult situation to deal with in racing, and needs to be controlled by the race organizer and the TD to ensure proper course conditions. In some cases a light slip over the top of the snow by several experienced slippers followed by salt will work.

So it seems no bashing is done after adding the chemical(s). Fertiliser is presumably more meadow-friendly Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan is right. Two effects have to be considered: the transient effect (while a reaction is occurring) and the nature of the new equilibrium (when it is finished). Mixing ice/water with salt is an endothermic reaction, i.e. one that absorbs thermal energy, producing a cooling effect. As for the new equilibrium, a mixture is produced which will have a melting/freezing point as low as -21C (attained if the proportion of ice/snow/water and salt is exactly right).

With a piste, while there is a still a decent quantity of H2O, albeit in the from of slush, the predominant place from which thermal energy can be absorbed is the slush itself (rather than from the ground or the air) - so, it gets icier, at least temporarily. After a while, it will absorb heat from the surroundings and will not maintain the low temperature necessary to remain in the solid state. So the whole process is good for the racers but bad for the punters who follow the next day.

As for the roads, the idea is get to the salt on before snow settles or ice forms. The energy to fuel the endothermic reaction then comes from the road surface and the air and the freezing point is depressed so that no ice or snow can form/settle on the road. In colder countries than England the method is useless and they tend to grit instead.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, fine explanation - I can get my head round that. TVM
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian wrote:
There have been a couple of references on snowRacers to firming up race courses in Meribel otherwise in really poor condition by mixing tons of salt with the snow.

It can't be good on an ecological level. I know the highways department in the Savoie are concerned about the effect snow had on the environment and are as sparing as they can be in its use, they are not even allowed to salt part of the road to my LSR.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, I'll accept the thicky baton if necessary but what's an LSR ?
So we know now how it works but the original refs indicated the salt was mixed with the snow, and all I've found since indicates it's just sprinkled on the top and left there. Anybody seen it done?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love Shack Retreat?!! Very Happy Shocked Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kuwait_ian, Thanks for having the Thicky Baton back! It is my absolute pleasure to confer The Order of The Thicky Baton upon you - arise Sir Ian...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely Snowy Retreat ? Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bernard Condon, Not confirmed yet until davidof responds. All I could come up with was Little Side Road - which fitted the context but isn't nearly as much fun as tomski01's answer...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This salt stuff is all very well. Where's the pepper? And I wouldn't mind a bit of Tabasco.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

effect snow had on the environment
I have to nominate davidof as the new holder of the snowHeads Thicky Baton for that typo. OK with you, Bernard ? wink
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, Absolutely tickety-boo with me Ian - otherwise Newbie50 has actually volunteered in this post;

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5452#113110
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
Quote:

effect snow had on the environment
I have to nominate davidof as the new holder of the snowHeads Thicky Baton for that typo. OK with you, Bernard ? ;-)

fair cop.

LSR - local ski resort although the other variants are perhaps better.
snow report
Bernard Condon, I have no problem admitting to being intel (ectually) challenged, both in this area and particularly concerning all skiing matters .. however don't you think it takes a real plonker to accuse others or highlight others' incompetence ?

All in the best possible taste ... of course wink
snow conditions
Newbie50 Sorry! You can be a professor or a rocket scientist on this site - it DOESN'T matter!! I am a relative newbie like you and was ambushed with this baton I just asked how the 'Search' facility worked! - you have been forewarned so you are lucky. But be on thy guard, it's not a gift one likes to keep and davidof will be keen to pass on the charm as soon as possible.
ski holidays
Bernard Condon, No problem ! Thanks for the context, now makes sense. Unfortunately (?) I am neither related to Einstein nor blessed with the skill of teaching others; recall a few relays as a youngster but dropped the baton then as well.

I am 'en guarde'.
ski holidays
The idea of the thicky baton is new to the site. Somebody started a thread about it somewhere a few days back but it's kind of propagated around the forums. Anyone can nominate a new holder but the primary responsibility for getting rid of it rests with the snowHead with the sticky hand and claw like fingers. wink
snow conditions
There's no end to the possibilities. A weekly pedant prize, a troll trophy.... not sure what it would do for the forum's good natured atmosphere though!
ski holidays
Quote:

don't you think it takes a real plonker to accuse others or highlight others' incompetence ?

as a one-time holder of said stick I reckon Newbie50 has the right idea. Hopefully it will go the way of my dropped £80 carbon fibre pole, lost in the deep poudre and never seen again Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
laundryman, most people melt ice with salt in Toronto, and it works, so it's not just for pre ice forming.
latest report
Newbie50, If Albie Einstein or Charles Darwin were snowHeads and had posted the Theory of Relativity, or Evolution of Species on this site, they would both have been hit with the Thickie Baton. That boy from Kuwait is FAST on the SEND key!
latest report
I was wondering whether to start a battleships style, 'Find-Alan's-skip-pole' game....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy