Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice Infant in ski party

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I would like some advice from the experts out their. Winter 2011 i am looking at taking my then 18 month son with us on our ski Holiday. Can anybody advise on suitable ski resorts in europe, iam thinking of perhaps gondola from resort centre to ski area or suitable enclosed ski lift in order to take my son up to the slopes to meet up with the rest of our party.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Joneski, having done it last year I'd really recommend Wengen. We found it really easy for whoever was non skiing and looking after our son to take the trains up and down the moutain (as well as the Gondola up to Mannlichen and down to Grindelwald if you like).

Our little lad really enjoyed being on the trains and we went up to the top with him to the Jungfraujoch - we were a bit worried how he'd handle the altitude at about 3500 metres ish at the top - as it turned out he was fine and cheery but I got a headache! Its a nice resort for non skiers and we did a trip over to Murren as well, going up to the Schilthorn and my parents who also came out all went to Interlaken one day as well.

I'd definitelty recommend it and the scenery is amazing. If you do go there I'd try to get the flights to Berne as it made for a nice short transfer.

Edit: Meant to say that the train stations stopped conveniently near lots of nice mountain huts as well which was a bonus. See the Jungfrau thread for tons more info on the area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Joneski, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Wengen, with lots of trains and wonderful scenery, sounds like a good bet. Another alternative, which could be quite a bit cheaper, is to go to a more basic resort, but have a car for carrying the lad around. We found at Christmas that our grand-daughter (a bit younger 13 months) was very prone to falling asleep in her car seat, which sometimes solved a problem - somebody could stay with her, with the engine running and heater on, till she woke up to join in the fun again.

It was very mild (too mild, really.....) this last Christmas, but it can be very dark, cold and bleak. Another thing to think about is going later in the year - late March would normally be warmer for little ones.

Les Gets might be a possibility - gondola from the village up to the main start of the skiing, where there are plenty of cafes to sit and watch the scene, and where the little ones can just potter around and play. A small plastic bucket and spade will keep him happy for ages. You can also drive up to that level in Les Gets ( a good deap cheaper!). You can also take the gondola up the other side of the valley, to Mt Chery.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Joneski,
Hi

There is a 6 man gondola from the town center here right up to the ski area mid station.
Loads of cafes and stuff up there.
Plus baby sitting service available.

Also you could try Hintertux - was there a while back and the same thing there - but only a cafe at the top of the gondola, no shops, but on the plus side the gondola stops a couples of time on the way to Hintertux and there are shops and cafes at each stop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello, thanks for all the sound advice. I have some food for thought and will enjoy the research on the net. Thanks it's nice to know help is at hand from some lovely people.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Wengen 13-20 March, temperature was very nice during day. LOTS of trains, cable cars, etc to take you everywhere, and scenery is fantastic. Admin got me a hiker/sledger's pass for the week with which I could go on all trains, buses, cable cars, gondolas etc., and I think a child can go free with an adult, if you check the Swiss Pass site. Just don't try converting Swiss Francs to Pounds Sterling whilst shopping !!!! Hope you have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Joneski, welcome to snowHeads! Another vote for Wengen - it is unbeatable for non-skiers, with or without little 'uns.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Little kids are a PITA. Save your money and go skiing in 2025
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Soll when our wee lad was a bit under 2 years. Snow was right down to village level. There is a gondola up the mountain, with eateries at the top and bottom. There was plenty of space around the cafe on the nursery slope (bottom of gondola), and we found a small hill in the village for sledging, as well as using the lift served sledge run. The swimming pool was also really nice - it's worth having a bad weather alternative.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it's worth having a bad weather alternative.

Yes it is, but little ones aren't as fussy as grownups about "activities". Our grand-daughter spent many happy hours at Christmas emptying all the muesli bars etc out of their plastic baskets, then throwing them round the room for a while, then trying to sit in the basket herself, then busying herself collecting them up and putting them back again. She also enjoyed playing with some hastily-manufactured play dough (as did her 4 year old brother who made pretend pizzas for the whole family). They had no toys here at all, really, and didn't seem to miss them - there were plenty of people to play with and talk to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

I would suggest Murren 1650m (in the Jungfrau Region,near Wengen) as an excellent family chilled small resort, fantastic views,reachable only by cablecar,car-free,fast lift system,lovely walks,empty slopes and easy access via funnicular/cable car to meet up with your party above Murren. It also has a great sports centre with a huge swimming pool and a warmer shallow one for children

http://www.muerren.ch
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great advice, research is already underway. To extend my search does anybody have any reccomendations in france or Italy. Thank, Mr Joneski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We just took our little one to Morzine which has plenty to do for non-skiers, is low altitude in resort but has excellent lift access to mountain cafes. I would also say Les Gets has some of these advantages too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also just been to Morzine, lovely for families.

If you are wanting to go with a TO, we had a great trip when my youngest was under 2, to Puy St Vincent with Snowbizz. Happy afternoons spent at cafe right by the apartment, edge of the slopes, right next to nursery area - sledging, snowmen, etc etc etc. Nice creche, British nannies.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Joneski, I think you are spoilt for choice. Many resorts have a gondola type lift out of the village.
Perhaps it would be easier if you give more detail as to what else your looking for?

I have a 10 year old who has been skiing since she was 4 and a 19 month old, but didn't take her this year.
Are you looking to drive or fly? Tour operator or DIY trip?

Of the places we have been to, I would recommend Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne, La Tania, Les Deux Alpes and Morzine.
All have bubbles / gondola lifts from the village.

Les Deux Alpes and Morzine have bigger towns and therefore it would depend on where you stayed as to how far it would be to the bottom of the lift.
Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne and la Tania are small purpose built villages and therefore would always be close to the lift.
ski holidays
Llew wrote:
Mr Joneski, I think you are spoilt for choice. Many resorts have a gondola type lift out of the village.
Perhaps it would be easier if you give more detail as to what else your looking for?

I have a 10 year old who has been skiing since she was 4 and a 19 month old, but didn't take her this year.
Are you looking to drive or fly? Tour operator or DIY trip?

Of the places we have been to, I would recommend Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne, La Tania, Les Deux Alpes and Morzine.
All have bubbles / gondola lifts from the village.

Les Deux Alpes and Morzine have bigger towns and therefore it would depend on where you stayed as to how far it would be to the bottom of the lift.
Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne and la Tania are small purpose built villages and therefore would always be close to the lift.
Hello Llew

Thanks for your very ueseful response.

We would be probably looking at booking with a Tour Operator. I like your suggestion of Les Deux Alpes and Morzine, bigger resorts, there may also be some non / part time skiers in our Party. Would look at a close location to Ski Lift as a plus point, but i guess busses are an option, Ski to door would be great too.

I have some ideas now, so thanks, but any futher advice would be greatfully received. Thanks
ski holidays
I'm also wondering where to go next year with our daughter who will be 2 1/2 by then.

Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne and la Tania would mostly be ski to door, but not as much to do for non / part time skiers.

My parents-in-law being non skiers thought Les Deux Alpes town to be easy to get around and convenient.
We didn't use the buses in Les Deux Alpes, but there is a circular route around the town.
Les Deux Alpes is purpose bulit and I thought looked very commercial.
Again parents-in-law said Venosc which is a small village down from Les Deux Alpes was very picturesque and good contrast.
I found the ski area not that great a shape, too long from the glacier down to the town and not enough width, but found the bottom un-pisted runs back to town great.

Morzine has a good free bus service and has some accommodation on the piste.
e.g. http://crystal-ski.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Crystal-Ski_Winter-09..10-Main-Edition-/France/Morzine-&-Avoriaz/page_195
There are also some above Nyon area.
It is a traditional town with many activities organised by the tourist office, but often in French, so depends what your language skills are like.
My Father-in-law and daughter, 8 at the time, went to a cheese factory tour and enjoyed, but required some translation.
Skiing is very extensive, can stay local or try the Portes du Soleil circular route around all the villages.

What type of accommodation would you be looking for and when in the season?
latest report
FWIW we stayed in La Tania a couple of times when our kids where young (3&1). There is a gondola lift out the village which takes you up to a cafe so we met them there a few times.

The non-skiers took the bus around to Courchevel a few times.

Was fine for our requirements but there is not a lot in La Tania itself for non skiers
ski holidays
We traveled with Esprit when daughter was pre-ski (under 3) didn't get round to seeing her during the day, too busy ski-ing. Esprit were a (and are) always good with kittl'uns. We went to Selva with them at Ester this week (no need for their childcare, they just happened to be cheap) and they still provide an excellent service from what I could see.
ski holidays
We have just returned from Val D'isere. Took our grandaughter aged 3 plus one non skier and seven skiers. Took it in turns to look after the tot. She loved it, just to riding on the bus, and the lifts followed by extreme sledging (and a little skiing). She had a wonderful week. The skiers had a great time too. Mum and Dad knew she was in safe hands. The only downside was the time the men went to watch the football match at the Pacific Bar, and then visited other establishments on the way home..... The resort workers were really helpful with the little one, letting us jump lift queues, buses waiting for us, free sweets in the market Very Happy . They really tried hard. The lift pass for under 4years old is free. And she slept so well at night......
ski holidays
I would say that ski to the door is the thing that makes the biggest difference with little ones. Any resort that has a gondela or bubble lift out should be fine when the weather is good, but when the weather is bad your son will get cold very quickly so you need to be able to go back to the chalet or appartment when he gets grouchy. If you're taking turns to babysit as well, this makes for a quick changeover!

The other thing that makes a huge difference is ensuring that the company who you go with is genuinely child friendly - and it's not just a way to sell holidays! Check that they have cots and highchairs to borrow; that they can provide baby food, nappies, babysitting, kiddie sledges etc in resort so that you don't have to carry so much; that they do kids dinners in the chalet at a time that suits you etc etc. Creches often aren't the same standard as you'd expect at home so if you are planning on using the creche check if it's French registered (this means that it has to conform to all of the sort of safety standards that we have at home) and what the minimum qualification that they ask from their childcare staff (you should be looking for NNEB level 3).

Of the big tour operators Esprit or Skibeat are probably the best for kids, or alternatively try a small independant company as they will be able to be more flexible about helping with your requirements and making sure that everything is in place. Please feel free to get in touch direct if you want some recomendations for independant companies - Heather@ice-fire.co.uk.

Best of luck - and hopefully this is the start of him being a snow addict!
ski holidays
Mr Joneski, We really liked St Gervais this year, having been before in the summer, and have already booked again for next season. Our children are older, but the main criteria are met, along with some you many not have thought of Very Happy

Main gondola takes you up to the start of the skiing - there are cafes etc at that level, as well as hire shops. If you are driving either all the way, or from the airport, there is loads of free parking at the base station. The town is lovely, and is a 'real' town, rather than a ski station, so has a great variety of shops, cafes, restaurants etc. There is also a playground - not sure if it's open in the winter though, but imagine it is. A big plus when travelling with babies and toddlers, is the very short transfer from the airport - Geneva is less than an hour from St Gervais, and all but the last 20 minutes or so, is motorway. From (extensive......) experience, it tends to be the winding mountain roads which are to blame for travel sickness.

*Have just realised that this is a resurrected old post....ah well, the info is still relevant and may interest someone else Very Happy
latest report
You need to be careful here, a lot of gondolas won't allow/don't recommend young children go on the lifts as its not very good for their ears. I would recommend that you look for a resort with good places to lunch on the snow front so that your nanny/child-carer can bring your child to meet you.
snow conditions
alexchapman, Heard that from a few people, but none who have ever had trouble themselves. Do you have first-hand experience?? We've taken our two boys up in gondolas and cable cars a lots ll over Europe and N.America - earliest with did this was at about 3 months, and never had any issues.

And surely being up a mountain is no worse (probably better!) than being in a 'plane.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy