Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We're looking for accommodation for the New Year week in the following resorts: Praz de lys, Les Saisies, Notre dame de Bellecombe or Champoussin.

Odd mix of resorts I know, but they're places we've never been before and we like to make sure that we know about the small resorts as well as the large ones!

Problem is finding self catering accommodation this early on, all the tourist agencies are saying wait until June, but I'd like to get it sorted asap. So..... does anyone know of any (cheapish) accommodation available for 6 (3 bedrooms). When I say cheapish I just mean not luxury, I appreciate New Year isn't the cheapest time to go! Also flexible dates would be good as we'd like a Monday to Monday, which I notice a lot of tour operators are doing over the Christmas / New Year period so I'm hoping may be possible.

Thanks

Liz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
liz09, drop PamW a PM about Les Saisies, she may be able to suggest something suitable as she has an apartment there herself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Helen, I've popped her a DM.

Liz
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For Les Saisies and Notre Dame de Bellecombe have a look at the link below for self-catering apartments that are available to book now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
only available to book by telephoning. I wonder what the answer would be? I also wonder whether the fact that Christmas falls on a Saturday will be enough to disrupt the French love of Sat/Sat holidays? British Air don't fly on Christmas Day. Do the ferries or eurotunnel run? Christmas Day is a nice day for a journey on British motorways - as they're quiet. I wonder if the same is true in France?

I've booked cheap flights on new year's day on several occasions, for people coming out to stay with us. One or two of them were slightly hungover.....

I suspect it will be a couple of months before it's clear what the French agencies are doing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, We've just locked two of our apartments into usual Saturday-Saturday by taking bookings on that basis for the week after New Year. It's not clear what everyone else is doing.

liz09, Admirable spirit. I must admit, IMV, not entirely terribly sensible wink

Les Saisies/NDdB, I have no experience, Pam W seems to have a lovely time (and usually chips in on here with the greatest of sense) so that would be my recommendation.

Pray de Lys is very nice but rather low and AFAIK not terribly well cannoned. If it's a New Year anything like this year you wouldn't be skiing without a 30 minute drive to Les Gets. I'm not convinced there's a great deal of self catered accommodation, I'd expect it's all French owned, I expect they'll just do Sat-Sat as usual...

Champoussin is a collection of chalets above Champery. I think there might be a bar. Probably not though. It's not really (not at all?) a ski resort. In fact, it's barely a hamlet. Champery or Val d'Illiez a much better bet. Or indeed a bet at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We've just locked two of our apartments into usual Saturday-Saturday

On the basis that (presumably) no guests would like to leave for home on Christmas Day or New Year's Day we are departing from the usual Saturday to Saturday bookings over Christmas/New Year next season.

We are therefore offering 8 nights from Saturday 18 December, 7 nights from Sunday 26 December and 6 nights from Sunday 2 January.

After that it's back to Saturday to Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister, yeah, that would be my perception, but...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New Year was fairly dire here this last season, but not as dire as lots of places. The bottom of Notre Dame (and Flumet) were rained on from a great height, but the best of the N D de B skiing (ie the top) is much more easily accessed from Les Saisies anyway, so I'd advise Les Saisies rather than Notre Dame as a base. Getting up into the rest of the domaine from the bottom (proper village 1150m) end of Notre Dame is a pain at the best of times - a long drag, followed by a tedious and slightly scary two-way, two-man, chairlift, followed by a very slow 3 man chairlift (which might be upgraded for next season, but that's been promised for years now, so I wouldn't bank on it) followed by yet another chairlift. If you want to try a base other than Les Saisies for getting into the Espace Diamant then Praz sur Arly is now much better, because of the new fast 6 man detachable "Cret du Midi" lift and an even newer drag which just opened this season, providing a "high level" link across to the top of Notre Dame, and Les Saisies, without dropping back down into the Arly Valley - though the Arly Valley runs, having loads of trees, are great when the weather is bleak. When the snow down into the valley is in good snow condition the long descent from the top of the Cret du Midi into Praz sur Arly beats anything in Les Saisies though it's genuinely red in places and might be a bit much for smallish kids.

Les Saisies village sits at 1650 and regularly has the best snow conditions anywhere in the vicinity. Certainly a lot better than Les Gets, and as good as Flaine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I decided simply by taking notice of the first enquiry for Christmas. As it was for two weeks from Sunday 19th it wasn't difficult. I've got a Sunday changeover anyway, and the French seem happy enough, although they often book a local hotel for the Saturday evening. I've found it is sometimes fairly easy to persuade enquirers to book your vacant dates, so perhaps you could do 6 night and a 7 night, or even 13.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, yeah, we're playing somewhat by ear and based on the hope (from experience) that we can always fill NY in Chamonix. We'll see...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy