Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next season (yes, already, what of it?)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for alternatives to France. St Anton obviously very high on list but wouldn't mind hearing about alternatives. Selva Gardena looks a decent proposal, anyone been there? Any other suggestions welcome. Must have: large ski area, intermediate and advanced terrain (not bothered about beginner), averagely lively nightlife, no frickin' buses to the lifts, modern infrastructure, and TO organised ideally (DIY a pain in the harris for various reasons), and it's a bunch of blokes so family friendly not required.

Thoughts and opinions, if you please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl.It ticks all your boxes.Selva is very good too but not a convinient as Ischgl,though the scenery is to die for.Schladming is another resort that might suit you and cheaper than the other 2.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one, Ischgl certainly looks worth a tickle, cheers. Will be going to Schladming for a long weekend in December staying at a friends place.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go along with Ischgl, also Selva, I can't see too much problem with convenience, but while the ski area is fantastic it is probably more intermediate than advanced (on piste anyway). Only been to St Anton once in December when not all was open, but it would seem to fit the bill.
Other suggestion would be to perhaps look at some of the other resorts in the Ski Amade - in terms of nightlife even smaller Austrian resorts compare well with France.
One cautionary note though about most places I have been in Austria, and the Dolomites, is that they are very thorough at pisting runs, which does it make the on-piste less challenging than in some places in France where they don't piste everything.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt ...ranks up in my top 2 along with St Anton ....fantastic skiing and some good nightlife too especially if you are dare I say slightly more mature than your average Val D'Isere oik !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedro_2004, dare I say it, but I think I'm slightly more mature (in years) than the average ValD headbanger so that's not a problem. I've done a little bit of Zermatt while staying at Cervinia and found it it be very well groomed and maintained but a little safe and tame for my tastes, and that view has been confirmed by a few comments on here so in two minds.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I've done a little bit of Zermatt while staying at Cervinia and found it it be very well groomed and maintained but a little safe and tame for my tastes, and that view has been confirmed by a few comments on here so in two minds.

You were looking in the wrong places then.

Ischgl is fun, but doesn't have the same accessible off piste as zermatt IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having been Val D, Ischgl, Selva, Schladming, St Anton and Zermatt/Cervinia my choice would still be the Dolomites. There isn't a bigger skiing playground on earth to match it if you have a car. Without own transport any of the others will do and the choice boils down to what you are after in a resort.

I believe there is a Snowhead birthday Bash to take place in in Arabba, which directly opposite to Selve Gardena of the Sella Ronda circuit, in early Feb 11. That should be a major attraction as you can do Sella Ronda (circular route linking 4 areas of Arabba, Alt Badia, Selva and Canezei), Hidden Valley (part of Cortina Ampezzo area) and World War I skiing tour (linking 3 areas of Arabba, Civetta and Alta Badia with 2 bus links including the Hidden Valley) with this trip.

Skiing a 40km-circuit, inclusive of lift chair distances, has to be a milestone for many intermediates. Remember it can be done in both clockwise and anticlockwise. Zurs/Lech of St Anton has a similar called the White Ring but it is about 22km long.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Possibly 1wk Gressoney/Alagna + 1wk La Grave (with excursions to Alp d'Huez etc) +1wk Verbier. + Perhaps a couple of days in Scotland?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geeo wrote:
Quote:

I've done a little bit of Zermatt while staying at Cervinia and found it it be very well groomed and maintained but a little safe and tame for my tastes, and that view has been confirmed by a few comments on here so in two minds.

You were looking in the wrong places then.

Ischgl is fun, but doesn't have the same accessible off piste as zermatt IMO.

Yes, Zermatt has much more challenges available than Cervinia. Your comment might fit Cervinia though (in fact they said something like that in an old "Good Ski Guide).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So what's the general take on Zermatt then? Is there enough challenging terrain for someone looking for 50/50 on/off piste, as well as mates who want to cruise the blues and reds? Slightly concerned about the reports of a lack of long runs in the Dolomites, so St Anton/Zermatt currently heading the list.

Loving all the suggestions people, keep them coming.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, I love Zermatt but it's about as far from ski in/ski out as you can get. I reckon Verbier ticks more of your boxes for a lads trip with good skiers. Better off piste and Good nightlife too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, if you are looking beyond the Arlberg I'd definitely put a vote in for Ischgl. It's a big open area with great nightlife. That said St Anton is cracking and you'll have a great range of TO options if that is what you are after.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton and Verbier. Both fantastic and very extensive off piste and both have turned their more challenging blacks into itineraries (un-groomed but avalanche patrolled). At St Anton "Piste to Powder" will take you off piste with a group of similar standard if you can't make up a whole group for a guide yourselves. I don't know anything similar in Verbier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, in Verbier there are complimentary Snowheads guides snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

in Verbier there are complimentary Snowheads guides

I'd fancy one of those. Would they be telling me "Wow, you ski really great, and on those skinny skis too, you're so fast and graceful as you power through that bottomless powder, we are all in awe, will you give us some hints? And your bum looks so great in those salopettes" wink
ski holidays
pam w, for charm like that I'd recommend RPF or Gorilla. Although given the somewhat "fallow" situation in Nendaz
Swirly might be your best bet for "salopettes" comments!
snow conditions
Quote:

Swirly might be your best bet

it'd have to be a very "fallow" period.... Laughing
snow conditions
Ischgl is great but not that advanced, not that many blacks there.

easy 38km
medium difficulty 127km
difficult 45km
total 230km

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 18-04-10 18:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
pam w, complementary indeed. Laughing

Mind you, I can definitely see a market for that sort of piste gigolo service.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I've seen that sort of service in operation in both Courchevel and Verbier, as you might expect. Aged women in unbelievably bling gear, having coffee (but not actually skiing with) bored-looking instructors. Btw, I'm not talking about myself. wink
latest report
Quote:

I'm not talking about myself

Laughing That's what they always say... "I'm asking for a friend".
snow report
Dr John, Andorra springs to mind.
snow report
skid & slide, nah, went there a few years ago, not in a hurry to return. Austria or Italy, possibly Switzerland, is where we're headed next season.
ski holidays
Mayrhofen for the apres (as good as St Anton IMHO) and noticeably cheaper. I found St ANton beer prices more than I would prefer to pay last visit. I love Selva, but i haven't noticed huge apre scene, maybe I'm missing something? Always have the ankle biters in tow in Selva so that could be it. Hmm, not really ankle biters any more, more like chest high Sasslongers really.
snow conditions
Someone used to St Anton would find Andora rather shallow water I imagine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy