Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good news for European ski resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
New research has linked low solar activity to cold UK winters (and Europe) . Could this mean more snow for ski resorts in Europe? ...

Quote:
The UK and continental Europe could be gripped by more frequent cold winters in the future as a result of low solar activity, say researchers.

They identified a link between fewer sunspots and atmospheric conditions that "block" warm, westerly winds reaching Europe during winter months.

But they added that the phenomenon only affected a limited region and would not alter the overall global warming trend.

The findings appear in the journal Environmental Research Letters.

"By recent standards, we have just had what could be called a very cold winter and I wanted to see if this was just another coincidence or statistically robust," said lead author Mike Lockwood, professor of space environment physics at the University of Reading, UK.

To examine whether there was a link, Professor Lockwood and his co-authors compared past levels of solar activity with the Central England Temperature (CET) record, which is the world's longest continuous instrumental record of such data.
Picture of a Thames "forest fayre" in 1716 (Getty Images)
"Frost fayres" were held on the Thames during the Maunder Minimum

The researchers used the 351-year CET record because it provided data that went back to the beginning of the Maunder Minimum, a prolonged period of very low activity on the Sun that lasted about half a century.

The Maunder Minimum occurred in the latter half of the 17th Century - a period when Europe experienced a series of harsh winters, which has been dubbed by some as the Little Ice Age. Following this, there was a gradual increase in solar activity that lasted 300 years.

Professor Lockwood explained that studies of activity on the Sun, which provides data stretching back over 9,000 years, showed that it tended to "ramp up quite slowly over about a 300-year period, then drop quite quickly over about a 100-year period".

He said the present decline started in 1985 and was currently about "half way back to a Maunder Minimum condition".

This allowed the team to compare recent years with what happened in the late 1600s.

"We found that you could accommodate both the Maunder Minimum and the last few years into the same framework," he told BBC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8615789.stm

The full article goes into some depth about it, which is unusual for the BBC site.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, good article, but i'm a bit wary of the researchers interpretation of
bbc news wrote:
...studies of activity on the Sun, which provides data stretching back over 9,000 years...

not sure about this, but humans only really managed to view "activities on the sun" properly in the last 400 hundred years, if that, no? or are they allowed a bit of plasticity in that interpretation?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sherlock235, agreed, I did not see how some of the finding were quantified.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does this mean we can ignore the irritating Al Gore and stop spending billions on idiot schemes to reduce our so-called 'carbon footprints'? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, no, if you read the article, it has to do with the jet stream been moved so that the prevalent winds will come to Europe from the NE i.e. the colder stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
However as a result of Icelandic eruptions all the snow will be black
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris, I'm used to funny coloured snow in Serre Che from time to time due to sand from the Sahara.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, would that be yellow snow? I can make that Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader, Laughing Laughing , more of a reddish-brown , if you can make that too you have something wrong with you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now there are more cold spells in winter and more chance to ski.

This time last year or two SH were arguing about skiing would end soon due to global warming!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee wrote:

This time last year or two SH were arguing about skiing would end soon due to global warming!

Lol Indeed there were. Just shows how little we really know. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given that the Sun provides well over 90% of the Earth's heat, any minor changes up or down will have an impact.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:

That's just a plan by stanton to stop anyone going skiing when he does
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, do you have a reputable reference for a precise assessment of the contrubutions of solar and geothermal energy?

sherlock235, assessment of the sun's activity is not done just by historical records: can also be done by looking at various isotopes: see the paragraph "Through what extremes has solar radiation changed in the past?" in this article from the U.S. Global Change Research Information Office .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, also some research is linking sun spot activity and subsequent solar wind (or not) to cloud formation. The theory goes (if I've recall) that a reduction in Sun Spot activity = less solar wind = less particles entering the atmosphere = less clouds = less warming effect from water vapor.

So, the current period of low sun spot activity is likely to lead to colder times.
latest report
Looks like I didn't get it process quite right (for some reason I can't edit the post) , but the end result is the same. Overview here:

http://planetgore.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTczNjE5YmZjNzkwN2ZkNjQ1OTI1MWU3MTEwMWQwYzE=

More detail here:

http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/portal/gfz/Public+Relations/Pressemitteilungen/2009/090827-PM-GFZ-Sonnenflecken;jsessionid=007D2439F3E72BA3A6B421AD3D78A548
ski holidays
and http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20627564.800-quiet-sun-puts-europe-on-ice.html?full=true
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Whitegold, do you have a reputable reference for a precise assessment of the contrubutions of solar and geothermal energy?

I looked up at the sky.

There was a giant fireball in it.
snow report
Whitegold, an acute observation, and something which many 'climate change experts' have failed to spot. Laughing
ski holidays
Whitegold, good reply, but my query was genuine and serious.

You say the sun provides well over 90% of the earth's heat.
It is, as you mention, an obvious source.
The other source of heat is geothermal: heat from the earth's core, which has caused such chaos to travelers recently.
And I wondered what the actual contribution from the earth's core was: 9% or 1%, or less? (I like facts).

A quick internet search asking "where does earth's heat come from" came up with rather a mish-mash.

You will like this response on Wiki Answers Toofy Grin

But others come up with different suggestions:
Herbertglazier on the physics form of tech-archive.net claims "Most heat comes from Earth's core. Here a small black hole is creating high heat" Shocked
On the Physics forum of Groupsrv.com Robert claims "Sunlight is not the main source of heat for planet Earth"

While Spock (and, as Science Officer for the Enterprise, he should know) on Yahoo answers posts "The heat flow from the interior to the surface is only 1/20,000 as great as the energy received from the Sun"

I would be interested in an authoritative opinion. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy