Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alta Badia Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After much searching for the ideal ski resort in Austria and Italy, I have finally decided on Corvara or Colfosco. However I have a few questions about the resort which hopefully some one can help me with

1. I’m trying to avoid the peak season which means going either 22nd January 2011 to 29th January 2011 or 12th March 2011 to 19th March 2011. I would prefer going in March but am unsure about what the snow conditions are usually like at that time. I can see from the web cams that there is still snow on the mountain even now. But is this normal for March/early April or is this year an exception?

2. Looking at the webcam at the top of the Col Alto gondola station, you can see the start of the ski slope. However from the web cam angle, it looks as if the start of the slope is really steep. Is it my eyes deceiving me or is this a steep slope? I thought that on the piste map of Corvara the slope is graded blue and that most of the blue runs in the area are gentle blues.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Alta Badia twice in March without any problems - in any event, the whole area is covered by snowmaking if the real stuff is in short supply. The start of the Col Alto slope can be a little mogully and is moderately steep, however it is not as steep as it appears on the webcam, it is very, very wide and for those who don't fancy it, it can be bypassed on a very flat road which is probably not visible on the webcam. All of the blue runs in the Corvara/Colfosco area are of the turquoise variety.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jimmybog, I was in Corvara w/c 7th March this year and had a great time, it really is gentle, Colfosco is even more so. I can recommend Chalet Verena with Colletts in Corvara.

I would not worry about snow in March, there is plenty of snow making if it needs topping up, they always manage to keep the pistes in good nick right till the end.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmybog, I've been to Arabba on 1st March 2008, 31st Jan 2009 and this year on 20th Feb and never found it that busy, especially in Corvara, as most of it is away from the Sella Ronda. We often had slopes to ourselves. The least busiest time was last year when we were there 1st week in Feb. If you've been to large French resort then the crowds are very slight in comparison and you only ever seem to queue on the Sella Ronda and even then it's only for 5 minutes or so. If you go on the dates you've mentioned I think it will be even quieter. btw, it was really, really cold when we went first week of Feb last year. -30 with wind chill at the top of the glacier. Most of Jan and early Feb this year was similar according to locals but I guess they may not be the normal. March will be a lot more pleasant.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best snowmaking/piste maintenance I've seen. When I went in winter the temperatures had been + double figures for a week and the pistes were immaculate. Then they dropped and it dumped making everything perfect. That was in late March.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmybog wrote:

Looking at the webcam at the top of the Col Alto gondola station, you can see the start of the ski slope. However from the web cam angle, it looks as if the start of the slope is really steep.
Thanks

Yes, that's what I thought too - and low and behold it is steep (for a beginner like me). I'm sure the more advanced skiers will say it's not....depends how good you are. However, the good news is that there are some brilliant blues around the area which are much easier. Taking the chair to Colfosco gives you some great easy slopes for practising technique and there are some really nice blues in Corvara without having to take the Col Alt. There's a couple of chairs that go up by the road to Arrabia with nice easy pistes.

March the whatever when I was there was way too warm down the bottom with heavy, lumpy snow. Feb would be good I think - and while there can be quite a few people on the Sella Ronda, as has been said, nothing like as many as in the French resorts.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not to mention the "black" at Col Fosco.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll probably have to take a look at the start of the slope and decide if it’s too steep or not. Glad to hear that there is a way to avoid it if required.

One last question for anyone who has skied the Corvara mountain. Did you notice if there are any paths that allow non skiers to walk around the ski area without having to walk on the ski slopes themselves? I’m specifically thinking about the wife joining me for lunch in one of the mountain huts. I know she could use the Col Alto gondola to get to the mountain. But once you arrive at the top there is only one restaurant beside the gondola station. I was hoping she would be able to walk to one of the other mountain huts but obviously don’t want her walking across any ski slopes.

Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy