Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking now for Christmas 2010?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok...so still on a high from last week in Morzine...am thinking of booking for Christmas 2010. Have never skied Xmas week before...owt I need to know?

Any better resorts for Santa to put in an appearance (when we were in Puy St Vincent with Snowbizz we were told he had come via helicopter on Xmas Day!). How about Finland?!

Do we really all get better deals by going for the 'early bird' deals popping up now on t'internet, or is it better to wait?

Any top tips please!

This is where I find out you have all booked it months ago Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're planning our fourth xmas away. Have tried France and Austria, I would have to say the Austrians know how to celebrate..... and party etc. Far more Santas on the slopes in Austria than France! We're not booked yet, but are looking now, but we have little people to worry about! If you are flexible, don't panic, if you have specific wants, then get researching. The usual advice about xmas is getting the resort right and if you can, waiting to see if there is any snow. We were booked to La Rosiere a few years back (booked really early!) and snow was very limited due to lousy weather.

We've had friends visit Lapland and rave about the whole experience from their kids point of view. I prefer a place with more daylight around mid-winter!

There is usually availability for xmas well into December, we have always booked early as, like you, we get all excited and have to book something! We paid far more than some others in our hotel in Austria (same TO) because we booked early and they all waited to see if there were any deals - and there were loads.

Hope this helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pitchski, that's very honest! Snow can be a big concern at Christmas - more dicey than Easter, most years. It really is best to wait, but do plenty of research so you know what you want, and keep a close eye on the Snowheads weather-obsessing threads. I wouldn't go to the north, either - very, very, short days. they're short enough in the Alps at Christmas!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shmaggle, I can't imagine Santa doesn't visit every resort in the alps, and I also imagine that they all have Xmas decorations (ours have just been taken down). Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shmaggle, As pitchski says, it depends on how flexible you want to be. If you want to be sure that you can get a place that you know or have been to before because of its kids club or whatever then book early. All you then need to worry about is snow. As pam w says, snow at Christmas is getting more dicey as the ski season seems to be moving further into April (look at the conditions now). So higher is generally better (but still no guarantee).

I have been skiing every Christmas for the last 18 years and have always waited as long as I dare in order to ensure I go where the snow is. But since there are only 2 of us and we are pretty flexible about what resort facilities we need there is always something available and the worst that can happen is that you pay the brochure price (but I never have done). The only exception to this was when we went to Canada where flight availability is a key issue and thus there are few discounts for Christmas week.

As discussed elsewhere on the forum (I can't remember where I'm afraid) Christmas is tricky this year as it falls on a Saturday meaning some flight restrictions. All of the TO handle this differently and I have yet to decide whether this means there are more bargains to be had or fewer!

All of which leads me to conclude (in a rather rambling way) that there is no real answer to the book or wait question! It depends on the sort of person you are. There are snowHead s of both persuasions.

As to Santa - he has appeared in all of the centres of the resorts I've been in at Christmas usually accompanied by a torchlit descent, fireworks and free mulled wine (provided by the ski instructors) on Christmas Eve. You sometimes see him out and about on Christmas Day giving out sweets too. Christmas doesn't affect the skiing at all. All the lifts and restaurants are open as normal.

My favourite show was in Avoriaz with a great firework display and Santa arriving on a rocket. (But then I like fireworks)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-04-10 10:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You probably want one of the more traditional resort. If you are interested in the Christmas week prices should be very attractive for this coming season. The most popular accommodation always books early for that week though. If you leave it to later you may indeed get last minute deals but you won't have the full choice so fine if you are not bothered about resort and accommodation. There will always be something left. The New Year week will be expensive as always.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone any idea on when the changeover day will be with Xmas being a Sat?

I seem to recall that many companies did a 10 day trip before to include Xmas and New Year, but I guess that will be different for the more DIY options?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, I think TO Saturday arrivals seem to now be on Fridays, and Sundays are remaining the same. I got a two week booking from the 19th so didn't have to worry myself over it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the 4 seasons that we have been running we have only sold Xmas week fully twice... it seems to be a very quiet time for non TO holiday makers, so I wouldn't worry too much about limited availability if you have a pretty broad perspective of whee you want to go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're already booked - have been booked since January (OH and holiday partners just got too excited!). We're going to L2A so Easiski will be getting an e-mail very shortly. We booked L2A because of the year round skiing, so hopefully Christmas week should be fine. We usually go over New Year, but a New Year trip doesn't fit with school holiday this time round - for a party of 7, 3 of our party are teachers, and 3 are still at school this is vital (I'm the odd one out!) ! I have no idea if we got a good deal, as I was just asked if I liked the look of the hotel, and the resort, and it was booked.

As a bit of info, the TO we're using is running Christmas week as Tuesday-Tuesday 22nd to 29th Dec.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We booked L2A because of the year round skiing, so hopefully Christmas week should be fine.

no problems - in L2A you can aways just head up higher and download in a lift!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks very much for the info folks...and which TO you using, Hammerite? The Tuesday to Tuesday sounds a good plan....have been looking at independent chalets online last night, have emailed a few to ask what they are doing about changeover day. I see the point about going North....could be a better trip at Easter, more chance of Northern Lights then too!! Have never skied earlier than late Feb anywhere.

We do have young 'uns to consider....but it seems we are getting to the point of being able to ski as a family and not use creche/club (kids will be 6 and 9 by next Christmas) so can be quite flexible.

And Santa on a rocket! Cool.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shmaggle - we're going with Crystal, they get a bit of stick on here but we've found them to be fine so far. Using them mainly because of the kids club available - one of the party is 6 and struggles to ski all day. Jnr is 8 and skied with us all day every day last week - but he also likes the opportunity to mess about in the snow and go bum boarding etc.... with all the other kids too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ANy suggestions for week commencing 2 Jan 2011? Looking like a choice of Saas Fee, Val d'Isere or Courchevel 1650 (Only resorts Total will take kids in that week). Looking for relatively guaranteed snow, flights from Edinburgh and 2 rooms half or chalet board for 2 adults 2 kids for not more than £2700. Anyone any better ideas to Ski Total?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ghost Dog, no idea about other TOs, but of those resorts I'd definitely choose Courchevel 1650. But no doubt lots of other people would choose the others! Should be a great quiet week.
snow report
Anyone know of a TO other than Total/Esprit for Edinburgh flights 2 Jan 11?

Thnaks PamW, i now have a slightly different plan, organise a group to take a whole chalet, then kids are aloowed. May well still aim for Courchevel or Meribel. Really want to go to Obergurgl but no Scottish flights Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

May well still aim for Courchevel or Meribel

Courchevel. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy