Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contour HD helmet cam

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone here have one of these?

e.g. this http://www.proactioncameras.co.uk/contour-hd-cameras/contour-hd-720p/prod_58.html

If so, are they any good?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonm, if you haven't tried already you should check out Youtube/Vimeo for videos, might give you an idea of what they are like.

The best footage I have seen still comes from the GoPro HD but as pointed out in another thread it is a little bulky.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, just looked at a few. PQ seems good but the wind noise is horrendous, can't see any obvious option for an external mic either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonm, the sound doesn't seem to be great off any I have seen.

Look here for the GoPro HD vids: http://vimeo.com/gopro

My favourite: http://vimeo.com/6829621
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonm, yes. The only downside for me is the wind noise, which I suspect can be sorted by an easy modification.

One nice thing is you can switch them round to film behind you in about 30 secs giving more interesting footage of the person you are filming.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the salomon freeski team use the Go Pro HD for filming helmet POV episodes/shots, this is my favourite video..

http://youtube.com/v/d1E93T2dOJQ&feature=channel

I'm getting one (when I get the money to do so Wink )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-04-10 20:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, ta.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonm, I did post some S6BB videos like this

http://youtube.com/v/nvJG1kYOPpg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonm, horizon's got one. There's some footage in Swirlys Nendaz thread. I was impressed by the quality of the footage.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got the ContourHD. Smashing pictures but wind noise and helmet fitting noise can be an issue. No problem though if you are going to add music. 2 downsides, no preview, so you have got to find the best position by trial and error or taking a laptop with you to check your first efforts on - otherwise you could spend a whole day taking pictures of your skis, and that it records in mov format - which requires Quicktime or a QT add on if you use a PC. Best edited on a Mac. Files are huge, e.g. 15 mins in mov is about a Gb, the same converted into Mpeg is 1.6Gb before compression. Quality before compression is great though, and it is widescreen. I only use mine in 720p as the 1080p files are twice a large and most computers can't handled the processing. PM me if you need to know anymore.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a 1080. Unfortunately it suffered from the "blurry centre" problem so went back to the states...which meant I didn't get to take it skiing last week Evil or Very Mad

I've been unimpressed with the various mounts for a bike - none really hold the camera securely. So not only do you have vibration from the trail but also movement from where the camera mounts the mount (so to speak)

Re the trial and error bit above, the lasers will help here, though I've had a couple of occasions where even using the laser it looks like I was staring at the front wheel all the time (partly due no doubt to the (non sticky) vented helmet mount I was using slipping forward slightly.

On the MOV file front, it is a pain - particularly if you want to stream it through an XBOX! You have to transcode or convert your video.

The field of view on anything other that full 1080p or 60FPS is too wide (115deg IIRC). If you use the other modes there's a very pronounced fisheye feeect. You can correct it with software but it's a faff - and why bother.

For the wind noise, there are some DIY fixes on the forum (some pretty clever). There's also a new waterproof case that's just been launched that will probably help with this.

On the 1080 you get the option of 60FPS for slo-mo as well. I haven't tried it yet but I've seen some impressive stuff on the website using it.

Have a look at the vids on vholdr and a trawl of the support forum as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the 720. As said above, mostly great pictures but sound is a bit iffy. There has been a recent software update that allows you to configure brightness, contrast and volume - from the PC interface only. On the default volume setting conversations didn't really work, as you could really only hear yourself or someone standing very close. I've upped the volume to max and can now just about get normal ski conversations, but at the expense of pretty high wind noise - although that does make things quite dramatic when you're moving.

The worst aspect of the picture is brightness setting on clear days - it really does saturate unless you set it to the darkest possible setting. I've had a couple of days when I've looked out the window in the morning and chosen a setting, only for the weather to change during the day (or be completely different at high altitude) and you then have no way of adjusting it during the day. Would be good if they could do a better job with adaptive exposure control.

I really like the laser alignment. The first day I used the camera I spent a lot of time taking footage of the snow just in front of me as I tend to look down quite a bit when skiing, so I now set the lasers to be about centre of FOV when looking through the top of my goggles, and it comes out pretty much right every time. Stabilisation is pretty good, except when I hit heavy moguls. Ther problem thenis that the goggle mount sits half on my helmet (Giro G10) and half on the earpad, so it's not very stable. And I've not even tried it with the earpad removed. I'm thinking of trying to set up some kind of plate/flange to stick onto the side of the helmet to give it a bit of a firmer base.

Crell, I think the 115deg FOV is a pretty good compromise. One reason I didn't want the GoPro was that the 150(ish - can't remember the exact value now) deg FOV was too wide, and the footage I saw was horribly fisheyed. Running at 60fps (which I've not done yet) gives 90 deg.

Vid (edited by norris - must get my finger out on this and do some myself) from our trip to La Plagne here:
Northface of the Bellecotte - Couloir Cairn from Nick Morrish
http://www.vimeo.com/10508747
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have one and love it.

It is so small and light, extra rechargable batteries are cheap to buy as they are just nokia mobile batteries. Huge record time on a 8gb card and some really good mounting options. They have just relases a full waterproof case for £34 just incase you miss that last turn and end up 10m down in the lake Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a note about previewing - if you have a video camera such as a Kodak Zi8 which takes a card (the Kodak uses SD) you can try a bit of video for a few minutes and then take the Micro SD card out and puting it in a microSD adapter, insert it in the Kodak and play the video back to check it out. I realise this is a bit of a pain, and needs to be done somewhere controlled so you don't lose the card, but it is a work round, as it is quite easy to record a whole day of your ski tips otherwise!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have one and I am swithering over sending it back for a refund... Any sort of sunlight and the whole thing is burnt out...
The other option I am looking at is the filter ring and experimenting with polarising or ND filters. Quite dissapointing given the price and the fact that it is aimed at 'extreme'/outdoor sports etc... My old AV lipstick cam for a 3rd of the price was 100 times better, and coped with changes in lighting and everything up to full on blazing sun on a south-facing slope.

re Coping with changes in light conditions however, if you have several microSD cards you can set them up individually with different settings (just go to the .txt file and you can edit ..), so if you go out set for a sunny day & its cloudy you can swap out cards & voila... new settings..
ski holidays
Here is an example:
La Noire - North Face from Simon Christy
http://vimeo.com/11677176
This was shot on a North-facing slope (ie low angle of incidence of sun).. with exposure at -3 (only goes down to -4), and has been 'darkened' in Final Cut ...
snow conditions
DixieDean, cracking idea - I have an old camera I oculd use for doing that.
snow conditions
That's awful offpisteskiing - send it back!

There's a few more the go at here:
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/
In particular, the X-170 looks appealing:
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Review_of_Drift_Innovation_X170_Action_Camera

Perhaps you need to keep saving the pennies (erm, pounds) for a POV1.5:
http://www.vio-pov.com/
snow conditions
offpisteskiing

Swithering? Puzzled
snow report
Snobat wrote:
Swithering? Puzzled

It's a scottish word:- definition of swithering
ski holidays
swithering on buying one of these myself. gopro's seem to bulky, any other suggestions?
ski holidays
Getting acceptable results now out of the Contour with a circular polarising filter on the front of it - seemed to cope with high luminosity at the weekend much better than earlier trials without filter in the spring...
snow conditions
offpisteskiing, where did you get the polarising filter?
snow report
the wonders of amazon...
from memory its a hama filter - you also need the lens adapter kit for the contour... think it came to about 7/8£ for the filter & 25-odd for the adapter kit... bit of a sting, but has transformed the results in bright light for me...
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, do you know if other ContourHD users have complained of similar high-contrast problems? I've recently bought a ContourHD and I'm wondering if I'm likely to suffer similar issues.
snow report
rob@rar, yes it seems to be a general problem with the cams... have a look at the vholdr website and you'll find plenty of threads along similar lines...
Have to say it's is quite dissapointing performance 'out of the box', but it looks like a bit of careful filter choice will do the job.

If its sunny drop the exposure down to -3 at least, but be aware that if you head into the shade it will all get quite dark - haven't tried adjusting this during edit, but I reckon it'll be easier to lighten an under-exposed shot than try & regain contrast & texture from an over-exposed/burnt-out bit of footage...
snow report
offpisteskiing, thanks, that's very helpful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy