Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis for an improving intermediate who loves moguls

Poster: A snowHead
Some advice please.

I'm a lady, 5'4" and 65kgs, have ski-ed for about 10 weeks now and am looking to buy my first skis.

I'm hoping to improve my technique even further, especially on moguls and although I mostly ski on piste do like to do unpisted runs, at the moment mostly reds and blacks.

I usually hire skis with no problem so dont have any definite views on which skis work best for me.

What should I try?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep renting until you have a specific idea of your preference in a ski?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dynastar Exclusive Fluid seems to get a good write up.

This is Ellis Brigham's description: (note they are trying to sell the things, although they are popular on the forums too).

"For good intermediate and advanced skiers the Fluid is going to be the smoothest piste cruiser you could ever wish for. The big 120mm nose rolls effortlessly into turns and the narrow 68mm waist darts from edge-to-edge instantly. A 102mm tail ensures easy control and great stability whatever the state of the piste. The Fluid binding system provides a smooth flex and the Autodrive construction delivers precision and grip. It's a delight to use, powerful when asked and forgiving when necessary.

Tester's comments: Marta (guest tester) 'Well balanced and extremely stable ski with quick, powerful edge changes and great response.'

On sale now at £365 (from £440).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 13-04-10 10:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agree with DaveC, but target your rentals. Ask to be given GS carvers and try them, then ask for some mid-fatties and try them, see which you prefer, ask for something in between, chop and change. After a couple of days you should have a much better idea of what type of ski suites your style and your aspirations.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping I might pick up some skis in the sale. Rentals are increasingly expensive, especially with the Euro as it is and I wanted to avoid paying out again next year.

I'm happy to take a risk on a pair of well made ski's, knowing my ski-ing preferences.

Anyone else with any suggestions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get heavy, stiff piste skis with a narrow waist.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ignore Whitegold Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi I'm your height -bit heavier though 67 kg. - 6 weeks skiing so easily cruising blues, enjoying reds even with challenging ice - but still rolling down blacks!- just started attempting a little off piste. I like short turns and bumps.
what length have you been skiing? I've just bought some Scott Mayas 155 in the sales an ' all mountain ski' - which I tested at Milton Keynes and Loved them- they seemed fun and manoeverable, cutting through crud at the side of the slope, easy to turn. They also come in a 165 if you are going to venture more off piste? i went for the shorter as I'm not a speed freak (yet) and need to look after my knees. they've had good reviews including fallline magazine and daily Mail mag
My second choice would have been the Dynastar exclusive Legend 158 which i also tested.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
karenhenry, I got last year's Dynastar Exclusive Legends in 152" - I'm a bit shorter and lighter than you - and find them to be good in all conditions, including bumps (they're very agile) which I too quite like. Perhaps a bit fluttery on a schuss, but that could be me, and it's the only thing I can find wrong with them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, how did you find your old iXRCs to behave in bumps?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, a lot harder work - they were SO heavy. It could be argued that these Dynastars are making me a bit lazy... Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
karenhenry, although rentals are expensive remember the added cost that go with your own skis. Ski cariage (approx £40) and a service (approx £20 each time - this could be reduced by servicing yourself but there would be a capital outlay at the start to buy the kit) each time you go away.

You only really save money with your own skis if you ski a lot, or intend to keep them a good few years.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
karenhenry, if you live near a Snowdome you can demo different skis there and get a feel for them. I found that I knew within a turn or two whether I liked them or not. I wouldn't have wanted to buy without trying, I found different skis behaved very differently depending on weight, rigidity, shape and length. I think some shops even refund the cost of your snowdome session if you end up buying the skis from them.

Although as beanie1 says it will take me quite a few years to recoup the rental cost (approx £80) for my yearly ski hol against the cost I paid for my skis (£200 second hand) and airline ski carriage cost of £30, for me it was well worth it following a couple of seasons of poor quality rental skis which gave me no confidence at all.

Happy shopping!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
karenhenry, If i were you i'd go for 1 more week of rentals. During that week try a lot of different types of skis (Skinny, fat, short radius, long radius etc etc) to see what you fancy most.

Just have to find a hire shop that accepts you to do that (All Intersports in the Jungfrau region rent network for example will do it, if you hire the top class, can change at any of the 10 network shops too)
Some shops will 'refund' the rent if you buy from them, some will also sell you the rentals (still discounting the rent)... All depends on price and shape of the skis.

My last pair of ski's i actually bought off the rent network through the shop i rented from, but the ski's actually came from a different location... no difference! They had only been 'out' for 1 week and was offered a good price.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I was looking at it from the other way round, karenhenry, sounds as though she has already hired for 10 weeks, this could have been £60-£80 each time, so she could already be as much as £600+ down on the deal - that's a couple of pairs of skis at least, and there are bargains to be had - look at my first pair - £160 brand new. She may also drive to resort so ski carriage costs may not be an issue. In her position I think I would be looking at my own skis as being able to make huge savings in costs over the next 10 trips.
snow report
It also depends on how often you ski. At One week a year your ski's will be very old before you break even on costs...

Looking for deals on older seasons material is also a wise thing to do... usually only 1 year old and thats no problem Wink
snow report
Agree with the comments about try before you buy. Any decent ski shop in resort will let you chap and change as often as you like if you tell them up front you're looking to buy, and most will take off the cost of renting while you're testing.

An I'd like to add that buying own ski's isn't purely about saving money, it's about having the best equipment available to you. Completely agree with queen bodecia, the amount of shonky equipment I've seen coming out of rental shops, and on many occasions sold at a premium or "gold" standard, is shocking. I know where my skis have been, what knocks they've taken, and that they have been regularly serviced. I'm also an incurable poser so I like having my own flash planks that aren't readily available in rental shops.
snow report
Quote:

I'm also an incurable poser so I like having my own flash planks that aren't readily available in rental shops.

Which is, of course, the absolute top reason for owning your own gear!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for all your help and advice. After all those years renting I want the reassurance of my own skis and controlling any improvements I make without having to get used to a different pair of skis each time. The costs are important, but not everything.

My local Ellis Brigham has some ex demo Scott Maya's and K2 Burning Luvs on offer, which I'll probably try out on the local snowdome. Has anyone tried both on moguls, as there aren't any bumps to try out anywhere near me in Yorkshire

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
karenhenry, have a look at the Volkl lineup, start around the Tierra and Sol, then go softer if needed.
snow report
karenhenry, if you really like bumps and are moving towards soft stuff you could look at some of the women-specific wider K2 twintips Missbehaved Missdemenour etc...

Demo bindings are heavier. See if you can get a deal on some non-rental ones.
snow conditions
comprex, talking about Volkl (and slight diversion from topic), been reading reviews of the new Kendo all mountain jobbie, look superb, very tempted.
ski holidays
Dr John, absolutely it's not just about saving money, I certainly don't ski enough at the moment to save money. However, the OP said one of the motivations for getting her own was to reduce rental costs - I just wanted to make sure she's bearing in mind the other costs associated with your own skis.
ski holidays
I liked your point beanie1, about the cost offset as like the OP I have been considering buying this season after a fairly pleasant experience with a pair of Rossi Z3.0 then Z9.5s. It was however brought home to me on my return trip at Newcastle as we left with our suitcases for chez nous and everyone who had skis was still hanging around in a scrum...put me off a bit.

karenhenry, I would takeRonald, advice and others of trying as many types as you can. My main problem is I don't really get the radius diffs etc, and so get bamboozled by the technical stuff and think that working it out for yourself might be the simplest way.

Good luck with the hunt and don't forget to let us know what you do! snowHead
latest report
Hi I nearly bought Maya ex demos fron ellis B in Milton keynes after demoing them - realised they had rental bindings which are heavier and got them for sale from snowtrax in christchurch area for the same price.So check on the internet before being swayed by what seems like a good ' ex demo ' price. i'm really pleased i got a brand new ski for the same money.
snow report
tripletimestep, sound advice, it can often work out like that, even if it means not taking on the rent discount Shocked

My first pair was bought after Rent/Demo, then ebay the pair for a few hundred less...
For my current pair... well they are factory sticks, which weigh lots anyway, and i'm not sure the bindings are actally rental versions (more and more bindings seem to be easily adjustable anyway)
ski holidays
karenhenry, ummm, if you really want something easier in bumps, you don't want them too wide... 80mm max I'd submit
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm doing some trials this weekend with the few pairs Ellis Brigham have left at Xscape in Castleford. Not sure from a limited test what I'll get but at least I'll get some ideas.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all your help
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy