Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile or La Rosiere in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a lovely easter trip to Saas Fee and planning next year already.

We have to go first week of April again. I like the look of La Thuile or maybe La Rosiere but what is likelihood of decent snow in April? I will be with young family so will need a choice of decent blue runs!

Any other suggestions for April family ski trip would be welcome too!

Many thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any other suggestions for April family ski trip would be welcome too!

I'd suggest not making any decisions about destination until much, much, nearer the time. Conditions in April can vary hugely from year to year. It's generally a quiet time, you should have no problems finding something suitable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
... It's generally a quiet time, you should have no problems finding something suitable.

We have been away the first week of April for the last 4 seasons. While it is certainly not as busy as February half-term, I wouldn't call it a quiet time - not in the popular high resorts anyway.

Of the four resorts, we've been too, Val Thorens and Obertauern had the best snow (and equally both have plenty of blue runs). But as Pam says, conditions vary from year to year (though, if the snow is poor in Val T, you'd best give up on Europe altogether).

If it were me planning this with your criteria, I would initially consider the above two resorts, Tignes and Les 2 Alpes (good range of easy runs up on the glacier).

I have been to La Thuile in April - I would suggest that a more likely option for better conditions and has more blues than La Ros.

Others on here will no doubt think differently - but that is snowHeads for you!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well it's pretty quiet here - no queues to speak of, and the snow is generally still fine (last 7 seasons anyway). One place worth considering might be Les Contamines - you'd be unlucky not to find good snow still, in the first week of April, and that's certainly quiet. The top skiing is east facing and up to 2400m - I have a friend with an apartment in Chamonix who sometimes drives round to LC to find better snow.

I'd still not book now, though. In a very bad year for snow you might want to go to Tignes, or Val Thorens, but most years there's still plenty of snow elsewhere and plenty of choice. For young kids, Flaine would be well worth considering (the top skiing in Les Contamines might be a bit too stiff and the geography is not as convenient as Flaine).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, La Thuile is lower than La Rosiere so the lower runs to the resort tend to close earlier than La Rosiere although there's still plenty of skiing up on the Col. La Rosiere has never shut before the last week of April and I've seen snow in the village in June, the Col de Petite San Bernardo road doesn't usually open until the 2nd week of June. Check out the webcams of both resorts for a view of current conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro wrote:
[
I have been to La Thuile in April - I would suggest that a more likely option for better conditions and has more blues than La Ros.

I would agree with that, although I would say that La Rosiere is the better place to stay.

Speaking of which, 18 of us are going skiing at Christmas this year for the first time (19-26 Dec) and guess where we are going? Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy