Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time advice - Squaw Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning

I am new to this forum it was recommend to me by a sailing forum I frequent so be easy on me!

Bit of background, just returned to skiing after 20 years and as expected loved it and already have the next two trips planned. Ability wise, straight back up to speed and would put myself at intermediate (well that's what the instructor said anyhow!)

Buiness takes me to San Francisco at the beggning of Decemeber and I am looking to bolt on a skiing trip at the end to the Lake Tahoe area.

I have been advised that Squaw Valley seems to be a great place for intermediates and looking online it seems to tick all the boxes.

Firstly if this is the wrong forum for a US skiing question please advise me and kick me off elsewhere! but if it is, can anyone recommend a good place around the lakes both to ski and to stay? any advice would be appreciated, don't want to blow the budget but happy to pay for good service etc

The main thing is the timing, I am going in early December and I have seen and heard that skiing can be as early as Thanks Giving (late Nov) but on average is the snow ok that time of year? I am realistic but any views / opinions would be very welcome.

Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow depends on whether it has snowed significantly to date or you are relying on manmade. This is entirely variable by season. Although Squaw is brilliant I wouldn't say it is the best place for returning intermediates and I'd suggest Northstar or Sierra as alternates. Former is bigger, latter is a bit cheaper. Accomodation in South Lake Tahoe is a bit cheaper than the North Shore due to availability.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with fatbob on the rating of Squaw. You'll get more out of it if you're prepared to tackle some steep stuff. Otherwise it's not exceptional. Ski at Heavenly for a day for the views and it's also worth making the trek down to Kirkwood. Don't overlook Mount Rose either. This is a fun resort when the snow's good. Sierra is one of the best resorts for intermediate grade skiing. Northstar gets called Flatstar by the locals for good reason. Wink

Tons of cheap lodging options around South Lake and as long as you're not arriving in peak holiday season, just rock up to the reception of a place that catches your eye.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies I forgot to mention that my wife, who will be coming with me, prefers a full day of gentle skiing, perhaps this is not the best place to ask that sort of advice but again if you can offer any then that would be great.

My main concern is can you actually ski there in Dec?, I know every year (day!) is different but a good broad range of replies will certainly help me make any further decisions.

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can definitely ski in December - there is too much cash at stake not least in terms of future bookings later in the season to start the season with "0% open" messages. However you may be skiiing frontside on manmade snow if you are unlucky. Its a beautiful area and if there isn't "real" snow then hiking os probably still feasible etc. I'd say Mammoth being higher is probably a slightly better bet if you're concerned about the snow but if its an add-on to a business trip then its a bonus anyway?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks fatbob, this is the kind of reassurance I want / need, mammoth is still an option and the plus side is I have a good few months to research and plan!

Cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks fatbob, this is the kind of reassurance I want / need, mammoth is still an option and the plus side is I have a good few months to research and plan!

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hummer, beginning of December ain't exactly going to be busy. Book a rental 4WD, and decide where to stay/ski when you arrive in SFX depending on snow conditions. We did that for a trip in January this year - Tahoe has an awful lot of places to stay.

I doubt Squaw would be your best bet tho - it's a gnarly place indeed, with killer steeps interspersed with fairly average groomers, I reckoned Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have been advised that Squaw Valley seems to be a great place for intermediates and looking online it seems to tick all the boxes.

What are those "boxes" any way? Wink

Hiring a car up to Tahoe is certainly one option. But then, so is hopping on a plane to whereever the snow is actually falling (like Utah or Colorado)...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks ABC but I am in San Francisco on business so options are fairly limited as I have to return to London via SFX, the drive does not bother me as it makes a nice change from the streets of London (ok some of it!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy