Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI new 11 part Central Theme?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone heard of this?

Apparently it's something that BASI have developed recently, a friend had to learn and demonstrate it on a recent L2 course. There appear to be no details or any information about it at all either online or in printed form at the moment (they weren't given any printed info on their course just verbal and practical demos).

Is this something anyone else has had to learn on a recent BASI course or refresher and anyone know when BASI will publish information about this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh well - Amazon will have lots of old manuals up for sale soon then. Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, I know that some of the Trainers have been working on a re-write on the teaching and alpine manuals for a couple of years. Perhaps that is now nearing completion?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, I don't think they've changed the central theme. Could be the trainer just explained it differently to the manual? eg intro activities, sliding, ploughing, plough turning 1,2 & 3, plough parallel 1,2 & 3? Not quite 11, but something along those lines?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, this is different and apparently goes as follows (this is how it was taught on the L2 course I refer to):

1. Introductory Activities
2. Straight Running
3. Plough Glide
4. Plough Turn 1
5. Plough Turn 2
6. Plough Turn 3
7. Plough Parallel 1
8. Plough Parallel 2
9. Plough Parallel 3
10. Basic Parallel
11. Parallel with Poles

Now there appear to be specific exercises and movements taught with each stage of the above but I'm still getting my head round what they are (it's still busy on the instruction front so have had one brief chance to go through part of it so far).

Certainly from what I'm told this is more a development of what was taught on my course (8 months ago) than a complete departure but it's certainly different!

rob@rar, yes I'm guessing this will all be in the manual but I'm a bit surprised that this new approach to the CT seems to be being taught already with no printed documentation on the course concerned, not even any downloads on the website or any updates on the situation for members.

Wayne, they sure will! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga, that is exactly the same as the existing Central Theme, just broken down into more stages as I suggested might have been the case above. It is all in the current manual, it's just not called plough 1, 2, 3 etc. For example:

Plough 1 - turning by pointing the skis.
Plough 2 - absorbing the pressure build up with a flex then recover
Plough 3 - an active stretch at the start of the turn.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
on my teach they used the new terminology but didnt refer to 11 parts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, so you reckon it's just *an* interpretation of the CT rather than a new development?

skimottaret, so there is new terminology - when was your teach?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, I think it's essentially the same progression called by different names and broken down into different parts by the trainer. Looking at the manual I can count 13 or 14 parts. I've had a trainer before who broke it down even further - for example in plough turning he had about 6 stages.

edit - typo

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-04-10 20:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the L3 teach I was on the trainer had just 7 steps (as thats how many were in our group)
another group had 10 steps (as there were 10 in that group)

How many were in the group that had 11 steps ?

just a thought wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, i did it jan 09 and the trainer used 1st 2nd 3rd stage plough and PP, didnt mention parallel with poles though....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This dort of things happens from time to time - wonder how long it will be before they put Stem Christies back ? Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DO U HAVE ANY OTHER THEME?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
romina, Hows the post count coming along?
I think I know what your going to serve us for lunch wink

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing is a little like hoarding. Never throw away anything you learn as it might come in useful later. Stem Christies or what ever you want to call them can certainly prove prudent in sticky situations.

As for Central Theme: it's my understanding that it is a guide to progression. An aide memoire if you like.

As a progression it works and certainly helps prepare clients for more advanced skiing. With the progression as a guide, you can break it down as much as is needed or keep it brief depending on client development.

Of course trainers will add their own take on aspects of the central theme; give insight into different methods of achieving various goals; and they also encourage us lesser beings to develop our own ideas and methods.

With a client who doesn't take so readily to the sport, you may wish to stick rigorously to central theme, breaking down each area into the smallest bites possible to keep the client progressing, albeit in small chunks. Other clients may leap ahead and need larger bites of the apple only requiring the nitty gritty understanding of what they are trying to achieve at a higher level.
latest report
RPF wrote:
romina, Hows the post count coming along?
I think I know what your going to serve us for lunch wink

I don't understand that. Am I being a bit dim ?

Snowshark wrote:
Skiing is a little like hoarding. Never throw away anything you learn as it might come in useful later. Stem Christies or what ever you want to call them can certainly prove prudent in sticky situations.

I taught a Stems seesion on my L3 teach (passed)
Good for skiing the crud (or anywhere in scotland). Have also taught it to groups in real life (ask TallTone) as is good in really deep stuff on a not so steep slope, if students ain't used to it. Ok, not exactley like to old Cristie but still a Stem, and it's still in the BASI book as a drill

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-04-10 9:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wayne, I think Romina was posting irrelevant comments on random posts to build a post count and then give more credibility to whatever spam he's going to post?
snow report
Wayne, Romina joined yesterday, made 5 posts of similar usefulness to the above in various random threads to get post count up then when they Spam us its not with their first post. Thats my guess.
snow conditions
beanie1, RPF,
why would someone do that. Seems a little strange. Oh well, it's a free webworld
ski holidays
RPF, One other spam tactic might be to edit the posts later in order to add some links.
ski holidays
Just checked OMG.... I have made 4321 post on another forum.
Mind you that's over 7 years - still a bit too much Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Oh well thanks for the comments but my mate still reckons it's an official thing - apparently his trainer said all trainers should be teaching the same 11 point thing. Will have to ask a trainer next time I see one!
snow conditions
roga, I already have asked, and it's definitely not changed.
latest report
beanie1, ah thanks I'll have to tell him that then!
latest report
The trainer I asked thought the confusion was probably down to the names (though I think they've called it plough 1, 2, 3 etc for a few years now), but they couldn't work out what the 11 stages were. Either that, or there's a trainer teaching their own thing!
ski holidays
maybe it goes like this
1. IA intro activities
2. SR straight running
3. PG plough glide
4. PT1 early plough turn
5. PT2 developing plough turn
6. PT3 late plough turn
7. PP1 early plough parallel
8. PP2
9. PP3
10.basic parallel
11.parallel with poles
Shocked

Paul
www.trekntrail.co.uk
snow report
pfairbrother has it about right, at least according to some BASI trainers I was with in Hintertux a couple of weeks ago.I think someone mentioned the new training materials will be produced later this year
snow report
It's not new though, it's the same it's been for years.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, exactly..
The CT is a continual progression from 0 to Basic Parallel turning. BASI identify several key steps along the way. (Intro, Straight Running, Plough Glide, Plough Turn, Plough Parallel, Parallel). In assessment the trainers need to see that candidates can be accurate in their performance & demo-ing of the skills in this progression, hence generally breaking the Plough Turns & Plough Parallels into 3 stages to see whether candidates really have a grasp of the progression..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy